• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    While I won't doubt that everyone here can shoot tiny groups at 20 yards, a lot of people who think they're good shots can't hit an IPSC target at 20 yards anywhere on the paper. Depending on the rate at which the shots are fired and the level of stress, a 15 inch group at 20 yards isn't that bad (in my opinion).

Capping off a round into the ground next to your foot is not acceptable, however. Anyone who does that won't have any more concern for someone else's foot (or other part of their body) either, which is what makes them really, really dangerous.

On the bright side, at least he was out practicing. Sounds like he definitely needs some professional instruction, though. That assumes, of course, that he's coachable and willing to learn and change his potentially deadly negligent habit to habits that encourage significantly safer outcomes.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    While I won't doubt that everyone here can shoot tiny groups at 20 yards, a lot of people who think they're good shots can't hit an IPSC target at 20 yards anywhere on the paper. Depending on the rate at which the shots are fired and the level of stress, a 15 inch group at 20 yards isn't that bad (in my opinion).

Capping off a round into the ground next to your foot is not acceptable, however. Anyone who does that won't have any more concern for someone else's foot (or other part of their body) either, which is what makes them really, really dangerous.

On the bright side, at least he was out practicing. Sounds like he definitely needs some professional instruction, though. That assumes, of course, that he's coachable and willing to learn and change his potentially deadly negligent habit to habits that encourage significantly safer outcomes.

:yesway: good post

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Anyone can make a mistake LEO and civilian alike, I am just grateful no one was injured. This is also the reason I prefer not to relinquish my firearm during a traffic stop, accidents happen...:dunno:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This sounds fishy. If it is true It is embarrassing. Don't judge us all by this.

It's not about judging all LEOs by this, just the ones who are this negligent. My bet is that that is an extreme minority. I might extend it to those who act in this manner and then try to instruct other, safer shooters.

Regardless, this is a case of the bad apples reflecting badly upon the good cops.

Each person, cop or not, deserves to be evaluated on his/her own merits.

Blessings,
    Bill

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Yeah, for the amount of ongoing training LEOs are given in firearms, if he hasn't shot in awhile, 15" at 20 yards is not awful. I think my grouping at 25 yards was about 10 inches, but that was when I was warmed up. The ND was idiotic, but even cops screw up.

You have to understand, cops are not trained to be target shooters. As long as it's consistently center mass, then they'll pass. Some just put more time into it than others. My DA shot from my beretta was what was killing me on my quals, so I had to concentrate on fixing that. :)

Top Bottom