• Trust Kahr to go bang

• Total voters

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    For me it's been Glock for several years. If I ever had to shoot it in a defensive situation I have absolutely no doubt at all it will go bang. For those who have more experience with Kahr pistols than I can you say the same thing?

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    My vote is yes....AFTER the proper break in.

I have had two and both shot like crap when I first got them. Broke them in with about 300 rounds each and they started working.

I wasn't used to this because I did not have this problem with other handguns. Most worked 100% or close out of the box.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My vote is yes....AFTER the proper break in.

I have had two and both shot like crap when I first got them. Broke them in with about 300 rounds each and they started working.

I wasn't used to this because I did not have this problem with other handguns. Most worked 100% or close out of the box.

I agree. I've owned three, a P9 which had issues that Kahr addressed with later models and two PM9's that were fantastic out of the box. I would shoot at least 300 rounds of practice and 50 rounds of whatever defense loads you plan to carry before betting your life on it. Once it passes the test, go for it, they are great pistols.

If you will be transitioning between a Glock and a Kahr be sure to get your practice in. The trigger reset on the Kahr is a fair bit longer than the Glock, you don't want to short stroke it when you need it most.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As I have said in dozens of threads, a Kahr PM9 is my almost constant companion (I don't sleep or shower with it otherwise it would be my constant companion!)

I have fired over 2000 rounds through it, and it has been 100% reliable. Recently since the Wilber Wright range has only a 25 and 50 yard range, I had to do my practice at the 25 yard line, which I consider just a bit far for a pistol. I shocked myself when I was able to put a round or two on a standard target at that range.

Accurate, reliable, and easy to carry. Doesn't get much better.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I do. I bought a CM 9 for back-up/pocket carry and I am very happy with it. Check my recent post history for more comments and my review.

I like it so much, my G19 is getting replaced by a TP45 that I am currently waiting for. Lower ammo capacity for sure, but the gun is slimmer (good since I am not getting any slimmer) and the .45 will have a lot more oomph. Plus, I plan to carry two extra mags instead of one (which will conceal better than my single spare Glock mag because they are so much slimmer).

As for the trigger reset. It is longer than my G19, but that is only half the story. I love the reset. It resets so positively (nice word for hard and fast) that I cannot imagine short stroking it. Plus, the action of the trigger when you are, you know, pulling it is just way better.

As they say in the UK, I am chuffed. I would totally avoid the gun if I were left handed (along with the Glock), but that is the only reason.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I wouldn't trust my life to any gun I had not proofed myself. When it comes to Kahrs I would want to double the proofing requirements, I saw so many of these have problems when I had my gunshop we would only special order them, would not stock them. They may have gotten better in the past 10 years but any Kahr would have to prove itself to me first.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    No problem trusting my Kahr PM9 to go bang every time. My PM9 is one of two guns I qualify with every year. I bought it for vacations and the summer time. Would have no problem buying another one.
    Only problem I have with Kahr's is the break in period. For what they cost you should be able to take them out of the box shoot them without breaking them in.
    Don't know which Kahr your looking at, I went with the PM9 because it seems from things I read before buying one that the micro 40's have problems. JMO.

:ingo:

s-works

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I never had a ftf or fte but I just did not like the stiff slide on my PM9. I also was not a fan of the magazine release. It was very stiff as well. I sold it to my buddy in NYC. I think it is a bad gun/company. Just not for me.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Nerp. Sold mine for that very reason after two years of tryin' to "break it in". Bottom line is that it just never became reliable.

rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    My CW9 has fired thousands of rounds and never, ever, ever failed in any way. That said I've switched my carry run to a Ruger SR9c. Not that much bigger and carries 18 rounds instead of 8 with, so far, similar reliability. If you want one, I might be convinced to sell my Kahr so PM me if interested; I'm in Carmel.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    You MUST have a carry method that allows a round to be in the chamber. To put a magazine into to the gun and expect to just rack the slide quickly and load it is a gamble. It is designed to load from slide lock by releasing the lock. That is the only somewhat negative concern I have otherwise I love my PM9 and carry it often.

MeatyBacchus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Nerp. Sold mine for that very reason after two years of tryin' to "break it in". Bottom line is that it just never became reliable.

Same here,

Couple other things I didn't like was that you had to load using the slide lever and the long trigger reset.

If it's a backup gun I guess it's ok, but I'd rather have a glock 26.

badge036

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    Yes, I think Kahr's customer service is by far the best I have seen. I had a magazine retention issue with a used CW9 called them up and they sent me out a new part no questions asked no cost to me. After that had no other problems with it.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I carry a PM9 as my back-up gun when on-duty and I carry it off-duty as a BUG or my primary. I love it, never had a problem with it, and it's DAMN ACCURATE!

I am a Glock and a 1911 armorer and have the utmost respect for the design and reliability with both of these battle tested platforms. However, Kahr also does one hell of a job. :twocents:

Top Bottom