Would you sell a gun b/c of their political views?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    By now everyone knows about Remington selling out, and not leaving NY.

The question is:

Would you sell guns because of the manufacturer's political views?

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    No I would not sell any of my firearms regardless of the manufacturers political views.
    I may refuse to buy any new firearms made by that manufacturer in the future but I wouldn't sell what I already own.

Very similar to UAW/Auto Bailouts. I will never buy a new GM vehicle in the future.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    No I would not sell any of my firearms regardless of the manufacturers political views.
    I may refuse to buy any new firearms made by that manufacturer in the future but I wouldn't sell what I already own.

Very similar to UAW/Auto Bailouts. I will never buy a new GM vehicle in the future.

^^^This. I wouldn't sell but it may make me consider a different purchase.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Agree. Selling the gun doesn't effect them. Not buying one does.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    i wouldnt sell my existing guns, but i would not buy from that manufacturer or its subsidiaries when i made another firearm purchase.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Ummm, just how popular are Chinese, Soviet, German Nazi era, Albanian, Japanese firearms here at INGO?

+1

I do not know all the corporate details, but Remington is still a for profit company and must make the decisions that allow them to stay in business at a profit. We all still have the burden of our taxpayer subsidized bail out of GM. Just because Remington is staying in New York (at least for the time being) does not automatically mean they approve of all the legal stuff in New York. Moving a manufacturing complex is not like moving a web site address, there is a lot to it. I was involved with getting approval for adding a facility for anodizing aluminum to my employers plant. It took a year and a half, BEFORE we could start installing equipment and support utilities. EPA, environmental impact studies, planning commission, tax abatements, etc, all take time.

They may have a plan for relocating to a less hostile place, but that place may end up being Indiana, Mexico, the Phillipines or China. I hope Remington hangs on and makes it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No. I might stop buying their products, but in the specific case of Remington I understand the economics involved. Staying in the state isn't as much a political statement as it is a nod to economic realities.

vanillagorilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    central Indy
    I just want the cheapest, most reliable firearm despite where its from. They might think mighty hard about their future though if they back the wrong horse. Seems to be an awful lot of people surprised about what their political contributions are backing.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    You guys realize that their Corporate headquarters is in NC, they have a 2nd manufacturing plant in KY and their ammo is made in AK. Their main plant is in NY. Try relocating a 1000 employees and finding the skilled gun smiths needed to man their standard production and Performance Center division in a new State on short notice.

I understand the reason why they choose to keep their NY plant operating, (it's also the longest continuing plant in the US). I also expect that over time they will expand the KY plant instead of the NY plant but it would degrade product quality to move all their production out of NY at this time. Their decision wouldn't stop me from buying a nice new 870 or 700 when I'm in the market for one.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Remington and many others have been based in anti states for years. Because of this, have you stopped buying products from all of them? More likely you have not, so why start now?

Are you going to stop buying from Henry, colt, beretta, Armalite, Kimber, Mossberg, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory as well as many more. Not much left is there?

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Their decision wouldn't stop me from buying a nice new 870 or 700 when I'm in the market for one.

I agree. When I first heard they were staying in NY I was disappointed. But the more I thought about it, the cost of moving would be so high. And like others have said, they have been in NY for years and NY has been very liberal for years. Its Remington. If they are still making guns, then they will more than likely get my money at some point.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have a hard time thinking of a scenario where a gun manufacturer took a political stand that would cause me to sell a gun in protest. I already have the gun. It's not going to cost the company anything if I sell it.

I do not even think it would make much of a statement for me to sell a gun. The gun is still in use, in circulation, so other than trying to keep my image unassociated with a product, what would selling it do?

If I wanted to sacrifice a firearm in protest of it's manufacturer, I would destroy it in a public way (post chopping it up on INGO).

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Their main plant is in NY. Try relocating a 1000 employees and finding the skilled gun smiths needed to man their standard production and Performance Center division in a new State on short notice.

I understand the reason why they choose to keep their NY plant operating, (it's also the longest continuing plant in the US). I also expect that over time they will expand the KY plant instead of the NY plant but it would degrade product quality to move all their production out of NY at this time. Their decision wouldn't stop me from buying a nice new 870 or 700 when I'm in the market for one.

It does NOT appear Remington is the "longest continuing plant in the U.S." Casey-Masey Lorillard has been in continuous operation, at the same location, since 1760, a full 56 years before Remington. And there are some other companies also founded in the mid-1700's that appear to also have been in the same location since their founding.

Remington would NOT have to 'move on short notice'. But they COULD and SHOULD have stated that they would begin moving immediately, then follow through with that.

The claim that it would "degrade product quality to move" is absolutely, completely, and entirely false. This claim is based on the assumption that no one on INGO knows how production of a good actually works, or have never worked in a production environment. Again, an entirely false assumption.

So, that's all really just inaccurate rhetoric and an unjustifiable excuse for Remington's inaction.

FWIW, I mailed Remington and stated I won't buy another Remington firearm, nor any Remington ammunition, as long as NY is strictly anti-gun, and Remington remains in NY.

I encourage everyone to do the same. Flood their mailboxes.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom