• Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Would you like to learn to do this?
    104_5063a_zps8e44b72f.jpg

That is three bullet holes in a quarter inch square from a range of 25 yards. If you would like to learn to do this too, I can tell you where, an Appleseed.

I had a new rifle with a freshly mounted scope on it. I didn’t have access to a bore sight, so I went out back thinking this could take awhile to zero in. I took 3 sighter shots. They were 5 inches high and 1 ½ inches to the right. Having learned by previously attending an Appleseed that at 25 yards a ¼ inch equals 1 Minute of Angle(MOA). So my calculations put me at 20 MOA high and 6 MOA to the right. My scope adjustments are at ¼ MOA per click, meaning I need to turn the turret 4 clicks to equal 1 MOA, which calculates into 80 clicks down and 24 clicks to the left.

You see the results. So, do you too want to be able to zero a rifle in just 6 shots? Do you want to learn about Minutes of Angle and Minutes Inches Clicks to adjust any sight you might come across? Do you want to learn how to put three bullets in the same hole using nothing but your rifle, a sling and your body? No fancy tricked out rifles, no bipods, sandbags or rests. This was just a plain jane run of the mill Marlin bolt action rifle.

If you do, then come to an Appleseed and meet some of Indiana’s finest instructors who will turn you into a true rifleman. Think you already are one? Prove it. What can be done at 25 yards will translate out to 100, 200….500 yards. ¼ inch equals 1 MOA at 25 yards, 1 inch equals 1 MOA at 100 yards and 5 inches equals 1 MOA at 500 yards. Can you hit a 5 inch target at 500 yards consistently? Actually a rifleman’s standard is 4 MOA, but it’s much cooler when you can hit a 1 MOA target. Can anyone tell me how many inches 4 MOA would be at 25, 100 and 500 yards?

Ladies, and youngsters this isn’t just for the men folks. I’m a Granny to three and if I can do it so can you.

Here is a link to the Indiana’s Appleseed Schedule.
    Here is Kentucky’s, Ohio’s, Illinois’ and Michigan’s for our bordering INGOers.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    It's clear to me that you and that Marlin are a team. She never did that when I had her. Maybe she just didn't feel loved enough :D

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hmm...still not perfect. Looks like you need to another click or two to the right and maybe one more back up. ;). That is an awesome group. If everything works out I plan to attend an Appleseed this summer with my son.

Oh, we need a picture of the rifle.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm looking forward to having the money to take this adventure.

A weekend is around $70. I know $70 is still not cheap, but when you consider it is $20 to shoot a USPSA match or $75 - $150 or more for an intro pistol class. $70 is probably the best value going right now. Problem right now is finding the ammo

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Hmm...still not perfect. Looks like you need to another click or two to the right and maybe one more back up. ;). That is an awesome group. If everything works out I plan to attend an Appleseed this summer with my son.

Oh, we need a picture of the rifle.

Yeah, I noticed that too, :D I'll finish tweaking it this weekend at the Appleseed.

I can't think of a weekend that would be more fun than spending it with your child at an Appleseed, unless you could get the wife to go also.

The Marlin is the third on down.

104_5061_zps88db4cd4.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yeah, I noticed that too, :D I'll finish tweaking it this weekend at the Appleseed.

I can't think of a weekend that would be more fun than spending it with your child at an Appleseed, unless you could get the wife to go also.

The Marlin is the third on down.

104_5061_zps88db4cd4.jpg

What is the bottom rifle? Almost looks like a model 33 Remington. Cool old gun.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    That bottom rifle in the picture is a Savage single shot that used to be my PaPa's. I shot it last month at Bedford. It's a hoot. The black on the side of the stock is a homemade ammo caddy held on with velcro. I'm trying to shoot a rifleman's score with it, but it is definately a challenge on two of the AQT stages. I just can't load fast enough, but I'll get it someday.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    That bottom rifle in the picture is a Savage single shot that used to be my PaPa's. I shot it last month at Bedford. It's a hoot. The black on the side of the stock is a homemade ammo caddy held on with velcro. I'm trying to shoot a rifleman's score with it, but it is definately a challenge on two of the AQT stages. I just can't load fast enough, but I'll get it someday.

I have not a doubt in my mind you will get it! And you are absolutely right about it being a fun weekend with family!

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Did you feel handicapped in any way by using a bolt action? Can one use a lever action? My wife won't give up her 10/22 and that leaves me with a similar Marlin or my beloved 39A.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Did you feel handicapped in any way by using a bolt action? Can one use a lever action? My wife won't give up her 10/22 and that leaves me with a similar Marlin or my beloved 39A.

There are people always willing to loan rifles and gear if needed, just post up what you need and at which shoot you will be at.

With the single shot, yes I was at a disadvantage, with this Marlin I'll let you know after this weekend. Bolt guns are used all the time, the only thing I will be focused on is my NPOA(natural point of aim). I usually break it everytime I work the bolt. but I've seen many bolt action rifles used to get their rifleman's patch.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom