• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Not a good man-stopper for a determined attacker. The idea is to stop a bad guy from doing any (any more) harm. The .25 ACP doesn't have a good track record for this. It does have a good record for lethality, but that is from the bad guy getting away and dying later (sometimes days). As has been stated though, it is better than nothing. The Valor doesn't seem to have the good reputation for functioning and durability that some of the other more expensive brands have, i.e. Beretta, Taurus, Browning, Colt, and FIE Titan, etc.

Last edited:

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My grandfather shot a German soldier with an Astra .25 he kept in his pocket. In Belgium his company was suprise attacked just before dawn. He took shrapnel in his hand from a potato masher and his Garand was destroyed. He noticed a German soldier running directly at his foxhole. With the other guy in his foxhole out of ammunition and wounded my grandfather pulled out his .25 and fired 6 rounds as fast as possible at the attacking german (he couldn't draw his 1911 because of his wounded right hand.) the German fell to the ground a couple feet from his hole. Shortly after the attack was repulsed and as dawn came my grandfather noticed the German he shot was still alive. The .25 round impacted just below the rim of his helmet bouncing off his skull knocking him out cold. He pulled him into his foxhole and bandaged his head. They shared a cigarette and spam sandwich before the MP's came to take the POW.

I still have that little Astra .25 in the gun safe. I would carry a .25, but only as a last resort

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    My grandfather shot a German soldier with an Astra .25 he kept in his pocket. In Belgium his company was suprise attacked just before dawn. He took shrapnel in his hand from a potato masher and his Garand was destroyed. He noticed a German soldier running directly at his foxhole. With the other guy in his foxhole out of ammunition and wounded my grandfather pulled out his .25 and fired 6 rounds as fast as possible at the attacking german (he couldn't draw his 1911 because of his wounded right hand.) the German fell to the ground a couple feet from his hole. Shortly after the attack was repulsed and as dawn came my grandfather noticed the German he shot was still alive. The .25 round impacted just below the rim of his helmet bouncing off his skull knocking him out cold. He pulled him into his foxhole and bandaged his head. They shared a cigarette and spam sandwich before the MP's came to take the POW.

Great story, really good to hear both survived a nightmare neither probably wanted to experience in the first place.

I still have that little Astra .25 in the gun safe. I would carry a .25, but

only as a last resort

Great story, really good to hear both survived a nightmare neither probably wanted to experience in the first place.

mj.elder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Take it easy on the trigger, practice with it and I would carry one. My very first gun was a beretta 21a bobcat and i loved that thing. Not super accurate, but you can get used to the .25 if you practice enough.

mohrpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    I have a little Colt 25 and have used it many of times to euthanize hogs. It is perfect size, and did not have to worry about over penetration. One quick round to head at close range it was done. Used on pigs 70 to 200 lbs.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I Have Your Answer!

I have applied mathematics to your question, and have found the perfect answer.

The average .25 ACP cartridge has a muzzle energy of 64.93 ft/lbs.

Let's say that your firearm is a .25 sub-compact pistol. The average weight of this class of pistol is 13.57 oz. empty, which is to say it weighs 5,936.88 grains. If you could throw it at 75 mph, which is far slower than Major League baseball pitchers throw a fast ball, that velocity works out to be 110 fps, and will yield 160.35 ft/lbs of energy on your target.

This tells us that you will have a much higher energy on target if you just become more proficient in throwing your empty .25 caliber handgun. (Please be sure to remove the ammunition from the handgun before throwing to avoid an accidental discharge... Safety first.)

.25 ACP Cartridge
    Projectile weight - 45 gr
    Projectile velocity - 804 fps
    Projectile energy - 64.93 ft/lbs

Thrown Handgun
    Projectile weight - 5,936.88 gr
    Projectile velocity - 110 fps
    Projectile energy - 160.35 ft/lbs

Behold The Power of Mathematics!

Check it out for yourself: http://www.classifiercalc.com/misc_calcs/me.php

Safety Notice - Whether it is shot or thrown, you can still put an eye out with a .25 caliber handgun!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    First, it is better than a fist. Second, remember that if you hold it in contact with the target, the propellant gasses may well do as much or more damage than the bullet.

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I would not carry a .25 . Too small of caliber for me. I would stick to 9mm or above to feel confident about defending myself. Just my opinion.

Mister.Meow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Scottsburg
    It's also one of those guns that ammo is ridiculously expensive due to it being an uncommon caliber. I wouldn't want to shoot it too often and you might have to reload a couple times to take down the attacker...

Top Bottom