Would you agree to a required class if...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What would you trade for a required class

• Total voters

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ohio classes are taught by private individuals/ranges/schools, and that is where the corruption lies.

"Give me money, you take the class, I give you a certificate. Don't want to take the class? I think we can work something out here."

But we're not talking about the end product being just a certificate. We're talking about walking out with a LTCH. That means everything that's done now to get one, background check through ISP, fingerprints, etc., plus the class.

KY requires training for their CCW. It's done by private individuals/ranges/schools. It is regulated, but I won't say it's not abused or even meaningful.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I'm wondering where all of INGO's resident liberals are? Why aren't they chiming in? They were pretty vocal before the election, hearts all a-twitter over Obama's re-election.

How do they feel about their right to keep and bear arms being threatened by the same liberal machine that they voted into office?

Just wondering ...

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Dude, not changing parameters. I thought the parameters were sufficiently implied. What other advantage could be implied from having a LTCH when walking out the door?

I"m not trying to pick an argument. I agree with no mandated training.

Now you want the people that have the privilege of having an LTCH to get more benefits?

As Scutter has said, repeatedly, no more compromises on our part, get rid of the LTCH no more fingerprinting, and start repealing these asinine gun laws that do nothing but impede the law abiding. Murder with a gun will still be illegal, wounding someone with a gun will still be illegal, committing a crime with a gun will still be illegal.

NO

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    But we're not talking about the end product being just a certificate. We're talking about walking out with a LTCH. That means everything that's done now to get one, background check through ISP, fingerprints, etc., plus the class.

KY requires training for their CCW. It's done by private individuals/ranges/schools. It is regulated, but I won't say it's not abused or even meaningful.
    Kentucky lets you carry a handgun openly with no training or a permit/license last I heard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    If my carry permit is valid in every state just like my drivers license.
    You can not just purchase a car and pick up a drivers license.
    You can not just pick up a gun and know how to use it properly.
    I owned a gun for 50 years. last year Norm Hood taught me a lot.
    Now I shoot consistent tight groups, both hand gun and long gun.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I wonder if people would be receptive to the idea of allowing local trainers/programs to be state-certified and anyone who takes their classes could receive their LTCH upon completion of the class?

Right now, the waiting period for a LTCH is approximately two months. The waiting period for some classes could be about the same, but at lease people can have the choice to take a local class or travel some distance to take one. So, it's possible that someone wanting a LTCH could have it within a week in most cases. It seems that a proposal like this would effectively take the process out of the States's hands and even further promote training among new gun owners.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    If my carry permit is valid in every state just like my drivers license.
    You can not just purchase a car and pick up a drivers license.
    You can not just pick up a gun and know how to use it properly.
    I owned a gun for 50 years. last year Norm Hood taught me a lot.
    Now I shoot consistent tight groups, both hand gun and long gun.

Its not exactly rocket surgery. Driving a car isnt exactly hard either.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I wonder if people would be receptive to the idea of allowing local trainers/programs to be state-certified and anyone who takes their classes could receive their LTCH upon completion of the class?

Right now, the waiting period for a LTCH is approximately two months. The waiting period for some classes could be about the same, but at lease people can have the choice to take a local class or travel some distance to take one. So, it's possible that someone wanting a LTCH could have it within a week in most cases. It seems that a proposal like this would effectively take the process out of the States's hands and even further promote training among new gun owners.
    NO. Your 2nd sentence says it all, there is a waiting period to even exercise a Right.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Now you want the people that have the privilege of having an LTCH to get more benefits?

As Scutter has said, repeatedly, no more compromises on our part, get rid of the LTCH no more fingerprinting, and start repealing these asinine gun laws that do nothing but impede the law abiding. Murder with a gun will still be illegal, wounding someone with a gun will still be illegal, committing a crime with a gun will still be illegal.

NO

Dude, context matters. I don't advocate mandated training. But since the LTCH is currently a requirement to carry and stay out of jail, and is not likely to go away any time soon, I do advocate offering a simpler option to getting a LTCH. The "benefit" of this option is not the privilege of having a LTCH, but being able to walk away from the training, if that's the option I chose, with a LTCH and a handgun in my IWB.

Kentucky lets you carry a handgun openly with no training or a permit/license last I heard

I'm not sure why this particular response was necessary as OC is irrelevant to the context. But, I did say CCW because the context was people cheating the training requirements, not about OC with no permit. KY does require training for CCW.

BTW, I don't think I should need to be licensed to carry concealed or open. Either I have a right to protect myself or I don't. But like I said, that's the law and it isn't going to change in this political climate. So I keep the privileged pink card in my wallet because I don't like jail.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    We have already conceded WAY too much. They always say "but these are just common sense, reasonable restrictions! It's just this one little thing, we promise!" Every. Single. Time.

No, sir. I will not make any more concessions. Not. One. And to ask me how I'd like to give up my Right but constrain me by saying "and I don't want to make this a Rights issue" is disingenuous, at best.
    :): No kiddin'. "I don't wanna hear about your rights. I wanna know what you ...
    would trade for the perceived ... "

... on the supposed grounds that ...

it may make the paranoid libs feel safer?

Umm, no.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    BTW, I don't think I should need to be licensed to carry concealed or open. Either I have a right to protect myself or I don't. But like I said, that's the law and it isn't going to change in this political climate. So I keep the privileged pink card in my wallet because I don't like jail.

I believe the same way. Doesn't this conflict with your willingness to compromise by receiving training?

You should just advocate for eliminating the carry license requirement. Other states are like this. Indiana has relaxed more firearm laws recently than I can remember, I don't thnk it is out of the realm of possibilities in the future.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    If it means reciprocity in more states, which it definitely would, then yes, I'd attend a class. I wouldn't learn anything but if it makes other states feel more cozy and let me CC in their states then I'd swallow that pill.

Top Bottom