"Worst" Rifle ever used to shoot a Rifleman's Score?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Farmritch

Expert
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    This rifle does not count for appleseed as it has a scope.
    Iron sights are correct
    5701053315_2ea3832fa2_z.jpg

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/appleseed/148716-cricket_rifleman_yes.html

214. I witnessed this feat of Riflemanry at Cloverdale Conservation Club.

I also witnessed 200 yard hits on 3moa steel with the "Tactical Cricket" after he threaded and suppressed it. :eek:

Beat THAT! ;)

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    Wasn't that way when I was a RED HAT
    Still don't think it's right
    I was at a Winterseed where we were using pizza boxes for backers. On the 400 yard row, I kept hitting the little square that advertized the pizza which was under the AQT paper instead of the proper targets. After that, I got a scope.

Over-40 year old eyes sometimes need some allowances.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    Scopes were at my first seed in 2007, rifleman patches were awarded (remember a new shooter with a PS90 getting one). Never remember a time in Appleseed when it was only irons to get a patch.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Techres has helped me with the ammo holder design and I am getting my Grampa's old single shot bolt action Savage with iron sights ready for an Appleseed this summer. I like a challenge :D

I will shoot my magazine fed bolt action Marlin first...I like a challenge but I'm not throwing myself to the wolves either.

I think Techres wins the award for worse rifle hands down :yesway:

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    If I can shoot Rifleman three times on the second day of my first 'seed with corrected 20/60 vision and impending cataract surgery anyone can do it if they are motivated enough (and I was). Yes, I had a scope and a nice rifle but like they say, "hits count". Now with successful cataract surgery behind me I can't wait to back it up with irons.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I just picked up a used Rascal to try out. Cool little rifle for sure. I was just standing in my garage shooting out the door hitting 4 moa steel 100 yards away. What a hoot.
    But I am still looking for a left handed bolt action rifle too.
    There are so many ways to challenge yourself with the AQT. try it left handed, place the target rotated 90deg or for more of a challenge try it 45deg so you have to shift windage but also elevation on your NPOA shifts. Once you understand the concept of building a good position, finding and trusting your NPOA and using the 6 steps to firing the shot it is all gravy from then on, no matter what rifle or position.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I just picked up a used Rascal to try out. Cool little rifle for sure. I was just standing in my garage shooting out the door hitting 4 moa steel 100 yards away. What a hoot.
    But I am still looking for a left handed bolt action rifle too.
    There are so many ways to challenge yourself with the AQT. try it left handed, place the target rotated 90deg or for more of a challenge try it 45deg so you have to shift windage but also elevation on your NPOA shifts. Once you understand the concept of building a good position, finding and trusting your NPOA and using the 6 steps to firing the shot it is all gravy from then on, no matter what rifle or position.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes a challenge. People keep asking me why I keep going back to Appleseeds. Well the history is fasinating to hear and everyone's story telling style is different, so it makes hearing it repeatively very interesting.

The other reason is that I want to make it more challenging too. I started out with a very sweet tricked out 10/22 scoped. Sqeeked by without getting wet. Then I used a standard 10/22. I know not a lot of challenge, but I was more concerned about the boys that were with me than what I had brought to shoot. YHJ challenged me to use iron sights, so that was my next challenge. Now I've purchased a bolt action, with iron sights. Plus I asked Techres about his ammo holder he used on the cricket, cause I want to try my hand at an Appleseed with my Grandpa's Savage single shot. That is my next challenge and then maybe left handed and the targets turned sideways or maybe backwards. :):

So much shooting to do and not enough time or ammo.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    That's why you're a Rifleman and a lot of people need race rifles and 10x scopes to make a 208.

Its difficult for a lot of people to grasp how the marginal return slows down after competency. I average in the high 220s low 230s. I want to be in the 240s. The distance between a 165 and a 210 is a much shorter distance than 230 to 240. Contrary to the internet's insistence, most rifles are pretty accurate off the shelf. Its not the arrow its the Indian. It took a couple months to get from 165 to 210, its taken a couple years from 210 to 230. How long with 240 take? When will I start to actually feel like a Rifleman?

Better equipment may supplement for my shortcomings. Strapping on a coat, buying a sweet match rifle, blinders, and a fancy piece of glass may make a 240 score. Did I do it? Will I be able to do it when its raining or snowing?

The world may never know.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Ahh the challenge. Rayne is always up to the task, and she will just get better. Won't you? I have two goals, to do a rifleman score on demand and to do a rifleman score with any rifle I am handed. Bolt, scoped, tricked out, stock, iron sights, left hand, no excuses. Do a few squares to sort it out and do IMC, then shoot an AQT above 210. Rain or shine.

I'll keep working at it.

YHJ

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Somebody asked me at the MCFG shoot where we shot the demos what my highest score was. I said a 210. They kinda looked at me funny and looked at my AQT and said, "That's over 210 ain't it?' I said that they were either 210 or they weren't. He was young but I think he got it.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I want to try using one of my Mil-surp bolt action rifles. I'm not sure which one though. Leaning towards my K31 with MoJo sights.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Somebody asked me at the MCFG shoot where we shot the demos what my highest score was. I said a 210. They kinda looked at me funny and looked at my AQT and said, "That's over 210 ain't it?' I said that they were either 210 or they weren't. He was young but I think he got it.

That's deep Obi Wan....

YHJ

DBoller

Plinker
    Apr 7, 2011
    I have a bolt action rifle that the scope has quick-detach rings that return to zero every time, so this weekend I'll be shootin with a mix of open sights and a scope. Lookin forward to it since I've only shot the AQT with a scope.

lucky4034

Master
    Jan 14, 2012
    Went to the Appleseed this weekend in Niles, MI. It was my 2nd (and a half) Appleseed.

My first Appleseed I was only able to attend the first day and didn't get a chance to try the AQT....

My 2nd Appleseed I did in November in Ossian and shot Rifleman with my 10/22, so this time my goal was to shoot Rifleman with my bolt action savage and by the skin of my teeth I scored a 211 FTW!!!

I'm like some of the rest of you... I will attend as many as I can and try to change things up every time. Next up will either be a Cricket or Iron sights

Top Bottom