• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For those that have had terrible experiences with gun quality, what did you do: Make it right or cut and run? I've had a couple that had issues out of the box but in each case, I stuck with them until they worked. My all time worst out of the box gun experience was with a Glock 19 that would not cycle more than one or two rounds without a jam but it just needed broken in. After around 150 rounds, things started to get better and by 300 the gun was running very well. Next up was a Walther PPK/S that routinely failed once or twice per magazine. That one took around 500 rounds and some polishing internally before it worked and has now become a favored shooter.

I don't think I've had a gun that was junk out of the box that I could not get running well and once they do, I think I like them more than if they had just worked from the start. Right now, one of my favorite guns to shoot is a Remington R1S. It's a very tight gun that started to have a failure to chamber at around 150 rounds and with some minor polishing and tweaking, is now running perfect through the last couple of hundred rounds. When I buy a gun that just works from the beginning, I don't get to really know that gun near as well as I do when I get one that I have to dig into. I may just be odd that way though since it applies to everything else in my life as well. A car that works every time is just a car, but one that I need to sort out and make work is an accomplishment that I enjoy driving more for it. I've gone so far as to introduce issues into a perfectly running car to make it more interesting. My '88 BMW E30 was a fine running car, so I pulled the engine and dropped an M50 4 valve engine from a '93 into it. It's more interesting now to me.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    For those that have had terrible experiences with gun quality, what did you do: Make it right or cut and run? I've had a couple that had issues out of the box but in each case, I stuck with them until they worked. My all time worst out of the box gun experience was with a Glock 19 that would not cycle more than one or two rounds without a jam but it just needed broken in. After around 150 rounds, things started to get better and by 300 the gun was running very well. Next up was a Walther PPK/S that routinely failed once or twice per magazine. That one took around 500 rounds and some polishing internally before it worked and has now become a favored shooter.

I don't think I've had a gun that was junk out of the box that I could not get running well and once they do, I think I like them more than if they had just worked from the start. Right now, one of my favorite guns to shoot is a Remington R1S. It's a very tight gun that started to have a failure to chamber at around 150 rounds and with some minor polishing and tweaking, is now running perfect through the last couple of hundred rounds. When I buy a gun that just works from the beginning, I don't get to really know that gun near as well as I do when I get one that I have to dig into. I may just be odd that way though since it applies to everything else in my life as well. A car that works every time is just a car, but one that I need to sort out and make work is an accomplishment that I enjoy driving more for it. I've gone so far as to introduce issues into a perfectly running car to make it more interesting. My '88 BMW E30 was a fine running car, so I pulled the engine and dropped an M50 4 valve engine from a '93 into it. It's more interesting now to me.

I had a Kimber like that. Now I called it a Wilber because it has so many Wilson parts in it.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Marlin 60 .22 bought used, jamomatic, traded it.
    Remington 597, bought new, jamomatic with any ammo, sold for 1/2 what I paid for it
    Walther PPK/s, bought new,( LGS tried to talk me into a Sig 232 but I had Bond on the brain) lots of fte's and the sharp edges were slicing my hand up, traded and took a big hit
    Taurus TCP, saved the best (worst) for last, bought new, did the obligatory 200 rounds, jam city, sold it and told the buyer I had issues with it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Walther PPK/s, bought new,( LGS tried to talk me into a Sig 232 but I had Bond on the brain) lots of fte's and the sharp edges were slicing my hand up, traded and took a big hit

The sharp edges where one of the things that I hated about my PPK/S when I bought it. It was like trying to shoot a meat cutter. I took a fine machinists file and broke all of the edges and gave the whole thing a minor carry treatment. When learning to work metal while getting my A&P license years ago, we were taught to break the corners of cut metal to eliminate stress risers. I guess S&W did not hear about that technique when they built the PPK/S. I swear, I could shave hair from my arm with the edge of the slide. With a couple of hours of file work and then a bit of light polishing, it feels great in the hand now. The sharp edge where the ramp meets the chamber needed cleaned up on mine as well. That was causing some of the hangups I was having with the gun. Now that those issues were fixed, along with a lighter spring package to reduce the ridiculous double action pull, it's become quite a nice shooter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I suffer from the exact same mental illness.

I think it is called "can not leave it alone" itus or something like that.....:)

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Colt ar-15 .22 lr , jammed no matter what ammo you put inside it , no matter how much adjusting you did to it. Constantly jammed , would have been better a single shot. My friend bought one the same time i did , his never jammed once regardless of ammo
    needless to say it got sold pretty darn fast. i will stick with 10/22's

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Phoenix 22 auto. Could not hit target shooting intuitively. Could not group aiming.

Had a SD situation, threw it at the guy and ran, he emptied the mag and missed me every time. I figured he might scare someone with it but he wouldn't be able to really hurt anyone.

Oh! Did I forget to use grape on that last?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Phoenix 22 auto. Could not hit target shooting intuitively. Could not group aiming.

Had a SD situation, threw it at the guy and ran, he emptied the mag and missed me every time. I figured he might scare someone with it but he wouldn't be able to really hurt anyone.

Oh! Did I forget to use grape on that last?

I was hopping purple was intended......:)

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    My worst gun was also my first gun. Taurus 24/7 G2 DA/SA in .40SW, although I think that with a little work to the sights and the DA trigger it would be much better. My big complaint is that it likes to shoot low and the windage/elevation adjustable rear sight doesn't seem to make matters any better along with the really long trigger pull it has while in DA.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Traditions Lightning LD muzzleloader. Sad excuse for a "firing pin" stopped working on 209s after a couple years. With the trigger set to a reasonable rate I once had it fire upon closing the bolt (good thing I practiced proper muzzle control).

Only gun I ever sold. Jacked the pull weight up to 10lbs or so and sold it to someone with full disclosure who didn't mind that or being stuck using musket caps.

Since then it has been buy once, cry once.

44spl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Mine was a Sccy cpx-1 after about 50 shots the trigger locked up. Nothing I could do to free it. Sent it back to Sccy incustries. They rebuilt the entire pistol new springs . rods and yes new grips. Blocked the safety for me also. Now It's a very dependable pistol. I put around 800 rnds threw it so far with no trouble. As a plus they sent some nice stuff for free

lava dog 1/3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    indianapolis
    Comanche single shot .22 this POS wouldn't even fire. I bought it to coon hunt with, knowing that it may see all elements of weather. It may get dropped in the mud and snow. Wouldn't fire in the sunshine. $129 lesson.

micheljns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    My first handgun, one of the original hi points in 9mm. Worst handgun ever, it would jam every other round and had recoil like a 44 mag! I ended up throwing it in on a gun deal, I was glad to see that one go.

Top Bottom