• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    So, I work with a bunch of D-bags. They suck at their jobs, and are at times incompetent. I have had to fix issues with their work recently and even had to have them corrected on the material they are training to new hire employees, and I am not even the "expert" as they are in their field of study.

Also, we recently have moved offices and upon my arrival, my "office buddy" has taken the desk assigned for me and moved in all comfy cozy BEFORE I could even get in there to stake my claim. There was LITERALLY a PDF detailing down to the specific desk where everyone was to be assigned, and this woman simply did as she wished.

IS any or all of this reason to speak to someone a little higher up? I have brought the lack of follow-through AND the wrong instruction to the next step up from these co-workers, and seemingly no one cares.

Should I just stop caring and collect a check like they do? I just find it hard to be such a lazy, incompetent, inconsiderate *********....

Thoughts?

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    My experience has been if the higher ups they'll correct it, if not time to find a new job. If your work recognized as good by the bosses, report calmly and respectfully and see what happens. If the db's are allowed to sometimes they evolve into bigger db's.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been surrounded by incompetence my entire adult life. Many want to make the money my trade has to offer but only about 40% can actually do the work.
    If the DB that took your desk is a female give up while you are still somewhat sane. Go with the flow and if things get worse look elsewhere but reality is....people suck...in general.

Edit,
    Suggestion...stop fixing their:poop: screw ups. Just completely stop. Not be rude just say you are busy doing your job and let them hang themselves. Smile and cover your A$$.

Last edited:

boostedtwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Corydon, IN
    I hear you, I have always done physical labor, always been the guy that said I wish I had a desk job... Well now I do have that desk job, been doing it for a year and a half, #1 its boring as all get out, yes im making more money, yes I have more freedom to do things, but I do also have alot of responsibilities and all the guys in the shop act like 2 year olds and I have to constantly baby sit them, would I go back to working physical labor, ANYDAY.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I work in a shop filled with DBs, but fortunately, we have the freedom to get pissed, call names, curse, and throw things. It gets the anger out in the open, where it can slowly dissipate into the atmosphere. I'm serious, at one time or another, I've told just about everybody I work with they were being an ahole, and most have accused me of the same a time or two. It really helps to keep problems from building up into something major.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    One of my supervisors gave me advise a long time ago in similar situation when he saw I was having problems dealing with other engineers totally blowing things. He said that sometimes you just have to stand back and let them "blank" up. (he didn't say blank, but this is a child friendly site. :D )

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have been surrounded by incompetence my entire adult life. Many want to make the money my trade has to offer but only about 40% can actually do the work.

OMG! Are you a toolmaker? Because that is the what I have said since the first month of my apprenticeship. I worked in machine shops before that. There were always one or two toolmakers who were like gods. They could figure out how to build things, fix things, redesign things... etc. When I finally went to work in a shop full of toolmakers, half of them weren't fit to run a drill press. I am very lucky to have been trained by some good ones who would also point out the way the sucky guys did things and explain why it sucked.

Incompetence, across all occupations, is rampant in our everybody gets a trophy, high self-esteem, everyone's a winner, society. Get used to it. Use the incompetence of others to differentiate yourself from the masses and you will excel in whatever your chosen field is. That is, as long as those in charge of you are not also incompetent d-dags.:rolleyes:

I work in a shop filled with DBs, but fortunately, we have the freedom to get pissed, call names, curse, and throw things. It gets the anger out in the open, where it can slowly dissipate into the atmosphere. I'm serious, at one time or another, I've told just about everybody I work with they were being an ahole, and most have accused me of the same a time or two. It really helps to keep problems from building up into something major.

OMG! You work here too a-hole!:laugh:
    I miss the good ole days where that anger let to trips to the parking lot. Just like an old playground throwdown, after everyone gets it out of their system, everything goes back to normal.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OMG! Are you a toolmaker? Because that is the what I have said since the first month of my apprenticeship. I worked in machine shops before that. There were always one or two toolmakers who were like gods. They could figure out how to build things, fix things, redesign things... etc. When I finally went to work in a shop full of toolmakers, half of them weren't fit to run a drill press. I am very lucky to have been trained by some good ones who would also point out the way the sucky guys did things and explain why it sucked.

Incompetence, across all occupations, is rampant in our everybody gets a trophy, high self-esteem, everyone's a winner, society. Get used to it. Use the incompetence of others to differentiate yourself from the masses and you will excel in whatever your chosen field is. That is, as long as those in charge of you are not also incompetent d-dags.:rolleyes:

I have done my share of time on a mill and a lathe but no tool maker by any measure. I know a few who are gods among men as you say.
    I have spent a lot of my life in the HVAC trades at all levels. Surrounded by posers and idiots.

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Document f-ups/fix f-ups/tell person 'don't do this and this is why', in an email if possible.
    Present findings to boss when you have more than enough, keep a copy at home.

I have to fill out TPS reports.

Last edited:

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Heres my train of thought, if everyone around you is an idiot the shop will eventually close.

So by not going and informing the upper management of situations that are continually happening without correction you are hurting both the business and yourself. They might be ignorant and not care about the business but without the business there is not a check. So what you have to do is start to document exact situations, telling your boss everyone is an idiot will not work and only make you look like the grump. Make sure you are documenting real things that hurt the business, places they are costing the business money or wasting time. If its just things like "So and so took an extra restroom brake" you will just look like a tattle tale

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    One of my past bosses gave me some advice a long time ago that I have seared into my brain, because it is so true - "If you let someone be themselves long enough, they'll gladly tie their own noose." I have seen this work so many times over. Sometimes it's immediate, and sometimes it can take a decade, but eventually it will come back to haunt them. Let your d-bag coworkers be themselves, and don't fix their screwups. Things will soon come to light.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    If you had a specific work station assigned to you and someone took it over, I'd go to management to be sure they are OK with it. Someone, presumably with the authority, made those work station assignments. If you let this go, expect this person to walk all over you and stick it to you every chance she gets.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you had a specific work station assigned to you and someone took it over, I'd go to management to be sure they are OK with it. Someone, presumably with the authority, made those work station assignments. If you let this go, expect this person to walk all over you and stick it to you every chance she gets.

If she is this way it will happen anyway. If you go tell on her then hang on as the ride will get real bumpy before it is over. PC world we live in now empowers these douchenozzles (I borrowed this from femurphy in another thread :):) and they feel it is OK to walk on others.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Document f-ups/fix f-ups/tell person 'don't do this and this is why', in an email if possible.
    Present findings to boss when you have more than enough, keep a copy at home.

I have to fill out TPS reports.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

My mom worked in computer quality control. All they had to do was analyze printed output of batch jobs run on a VMS system. (My mom actually floored me when she told me she knew what ABEND meant.) Different jobs took different amounts of time to check. She was getting slammed at the beginning of each of her shifts with all of these massive jobs the previous shift hadn't gotten to, yet she almost never left jobs undone for the shift after her own. She actually observed some people on the shift ahead of hers leaving long jobs sit undone while waiting for a nice, short job to check to fill out their work cards. She got sick of covering for the shift before hers, so she asked me what to do about it. I told her to start documenting all of the jobs left undone by the shift before hers and any jobs she was leaving for the shift after hers. Keep that record for a couple of weeks and then present it to the department supervisor confidentially. I think I told her to slip it under his office door.

The day after she gave the documentation to her boss, her boss ripped the previous shift a new orifice. She never got any more slack from them again. They actually began towing the line.

She did something similar with a coworker who the supervisor himself was getting preferential treatment, documenting the preferential treatment for a couple of weeks and then sending it to HIS supervisor. Preferential treatment stopped and perks started getting spread around more equitably.

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    So, I work with a bunch of D-bags. They suck at their jobs, and are at times incompetent. I have had to fix issues with their work recently and even had to have them corrected on the material they are training to new hire employees, and I am not even the "expert" as they are in their field of study.

Also, we recently have moved offices and upon my arrival, my "office buddy" has taken the desk assigned for me and moved in all comfy cozy BEFORE I could even get in there to stake my claim. There was LITERALLY a PDF detailing down to the specific desk where everyone was to be assigned, and this woman simply did as she wished.

IS any or all of this reason to speak to someone a little higher up? I have brought the lack of follow-through AND the wrong instruction to the next step up from these co-workers, and seemingly no one cares.

Should I just stop caring and collect a check like they do? I just find it hard to be such a lazy, incompetent, inconsiderate *********....

Thoughts?

Jason....is this you??? I guess we need to have a talk Monday morning. I didn't know you felt this way about me and the rest of our coworkers....

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Edit,
    Suggestion...stop fixing their:poop: screw ups. Just completely stop. Not be rude just say you are busy doing your job and let them hang themselves. Smile and cover your A$$.

I agree with this....be nice to them and cover your ass...otherwise let them sink or swim.

Top Bottom