• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WoG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Plainfield
    I'm tired of begging for land to hunt deer on, but even more tired of whining about it. So off to the nearest parcel of public land for me.

As a new hunter, I've never hunted public land. What should I expect? If I call up the State forest office I'm headed too, will they tell me if a certain part of land has been crowded? Will they even know?

I've heard people say you just have to be willing to go deeper into the woods than others, etc. - is that generally how I should start scouting? After the season ends - head out and look for signs, trails, etc? Walk a few miles in, more than other hunters would be comfortable doing?

I'll probably end up using Google Earth as a tool to give me some ideas, anybody recommend other topo maps or anything?

Anyway - if you've successfully hunted public land, and don't mind sharing info on how to get started, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    The USGS Store - One stop shop for all your maps, world, United States, state, wall decor, historic, planetary, topographic, trail, hiking, foreign, satellite, digital

Click on map locator to download free PDF maps. Also download the recommend Geotool set. This tool set gives distance measurements and Log/Lat or MRGS. Scout several locations because public land is first come first serve, so your "spot" maybe taken by another hunter.

The farther away from trails and roads the less hunting pressure. I read a study that 95% of hunters on public land are within 500 feet or a road or trail.

Stay in your stand all day. Many hunters leave around lunchtime for a break. They may just drive some deer your way.

Good Luck

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    As a new hunter, if you find a great spot, more than likely a more experienced hunter has already found that same spot, meaning that you will probably not be alone.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    if I were you, I would find a county with scattered national forest land parcels. get a plat book for that county.

scout a few small ones (like 40 acres).

I'm thinking the bigger parcels will be well known and have more people interested in hunting them. the smaller parcels might only be well known to the neighbors.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    good spots all over pulic land, opening day u may have competition, after the opener it drops to very little if any in many places. Remember hunters on private property (due to atv use, campers, etc.) often chase deer onto public land, it works both ways;)

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    Hunting public land is not that hard and like Field KIng said stay in your stand when everyone else leaves and comes back for lunch,ive hunted public land for years and almost always get a buck and a doe.A trick i use on public land is i hunt natural bottlenecks and escape routes that deer will use when other hunters jump them up going to and from stands in the afternoons. Good luck hunting

Top Bottom