• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Similar story, but I'm 68. I was working and enjoying my second job when I went in for cataract surgery. When I woke up I was given an EKG tape and told to see a cardiologist, now. No symptoms, but the the cardiologist said I had a valve problem and the longer I waited the sooner I would see congestive heart failure. After getting the new valve I got one piece of good news, coronary arteries as clean as a 20 year old. I talked it over with the wife and decided to hang it up. Broke the news to my employer and they were sad to see me go, but understood. Good people, we still keep in touch.
    As a teacher who loved my job I always thought I'd work until 70 to maximize my SS, which at the time would be $600 more per month than if I retired at 66.
    After my job changed to students doing their work on computers instead of me "performing" in front to the room, I was getting bored.

After Dr. finding kidney cancer, which was a wake-up call, I ended up starting my last school year still planning to retire at 70, but that Fall, I wondered what I was doing there and put in for retirement at the end of the school year (turned 66 in December).
    Never looked back.
    An accountant friend of mine showed me that my Pension & SS would be about as much as I was earning at the time since my tax liability would drop from $900/month to $150/month.
    That made all the difference!!

B/C of my boring lifestyle, the wife and I were banking money nearly every month until Covid and a political administration change drove inflation through the roof!!!

Fortunately, I'm stocked on ammo well enough not to have to buy it much.
    I'm still pouting on what a case of ammo costs. :wallbash:

Last edited:

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As a teacher who loved my job I always thought I'd work until 70 to maximize my SS, which at the time would be $600 more per month.
    After my job changing to students doing their work on computer instead of me "performing" in front to the room, I was getting bored.
    After Dr. finding kidney cancer, which was a wake-up call, I ended up starting my last school year planning to still go to 70, but that Fall, I wondered what I was doing there and put in for retirement at the end of the year (turned 66 in December).
    Never looked back.
    An accountant friend of mine showed me that my Pension & SS would be about as much as I was earning at the time since my tax liability would drop from $900/month to $150/month.
    That made all the difference!!

B/C of my boring lifestyle, the wife and I were banking money nearly every month until Covid and a political administration change drove inflation through the roof!!!

Fortunately, I'm stocked on ammo well enough not to have to buy it much.
    I'm still pouting on what a case of ammo costs. :wallbash:
    Ya know you will have to PAY for Medicare. That isn't free just because you start drawing SS. They don't tell you that.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ya know you will have to PAY for Medicare. That isn't free just because you start drawing SS. They don't tell you that.
    I didn't expect free medical care.
    Fortunately, Medicare and my Supplement and Drug plan are less expensive for the year than the coverage I had when working.
    I have always had high medical monthly expenditures b/c of ongoing medical issues.

I was shocked a few years earlier when I discovered your SS benefits were taxed. :wallbash:

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I’ve always had company provided life policies. If on the clock they paid double. I figured most major employers offered the same.
    Never heard of on the clock paying double... But never looked. Checked with a few and nobody seems to have heard of that. Sounds like it is out there.

Most of the people I know have to pay for health insurance. (At least something, some I know are close to $150-200 a week) Some includes some life insurance.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Fortunately, Medicare and my Supplement and Drug plan are less expensive for the year than the coverage I had when working.
    I have always had high medical monthly expenditures b/c of ongoing medical issues.

I was shocked a few years earlier when I discovered your SS benefits were taxed. :wallbash:

Be sure and thank El Presidente for that...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Are they also taxed by the state of Indiana?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Does it vary on income. No tax if you are at the bottom of the barrel. This stuff is new to me.

What about SS disability?
    Right, if you barely have an income, you're safe, but if you have a decent pension to accompany your SS, it will put you in the "tax" column.
    I didn't get hit hard until I had to take $$ from my IRA account for this or that.

Don't have any idea about disability.

Top Bottom