• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The story: I am getting back into shooting after 20 years being away from it. I bought a 1911 this Spring, because I have always wanted one. I really like the pistol.

Lately though I have been thinking that maybe I should "start" with a 9mm, become proficient with it before tackling the .45acp round.

Some of my thoughts:

1. Get a 9mm-cheaper on ammo, easier to handle, more versatile if I ever want to try a 3-gun match.

2. Work with my .45. Ammo cost more, but it would take some time at my shooting rate to "pay" for the 9mm gun investment.

3. Practice with my .22 Ruger fundamentals until I have them down, then work with the .45.

4. Instead of purchasing another pistol, invest in some training.

I don't reload, I would like to try some IDPA and Steel matches next season, but most likely won't do 3-gun since I don't have a shotgun and it appears to be a rather expensive sport by the time you get all the gear.

Oh, and I don't sell guns, so getting rid of the .45 to buy a 9 isn't in the equation.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you get involved in reloading, .45acp is only marginally more money than 9mm. The exact same cost for primer, almost exactly the same powder, the bullets are a couple cents more for each bullet. Reloading gear will be less than a second pistol, but a lot depends how much free time you have and how mechanical you are. Of course, there is nothing wrong with a person getting another pistol.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you get involved in reloading, .45acp is only marginally more money than 9mm. The exact same cost for primer, almost exactly the same powder, the bullets are a couple cents more for each bullet. Reloading gear will be less than a second pistol, but a lot depends how much free time you have and how mechanical you are. Of course, there is nothing wrong with a person getting another pistol.

I am thinking about getting into reloading. I would probably shoot more.

BlackItalian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    It really depends on how comfortable you are with the 1911. I really like the weight and feel of mine and cost isn't really a concern at this point. I've owned several 9.mm but have always been a 1911 tactical fan.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I've gotta say that my Kimber 1911 is a way softer shooter than my Glock 19 9mm. The weight of the 1911 tames the .45 considerably.

If you are wanting to shoot your 1911 better, practice with your 1911.

If you want to buy a plastic 9mm and do matches, buy one of those and practice with it. Then you'll have TWO nice guns!!!:D

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I really don't see a bad option here. If money is an issue and you're not sure if you "WANT" to pick up another gun, grab a box of .45 acp and go shoot it since you already have the 1911. You'll know in the first mag if you "NEED" to step it down a little. If it doesn't come back and you're not comfortable then you can spend money on a new gun doing that could save you hundreds of dollars. I don't think you can compare a 1911 to a polymer really, they're totally different machines. I've found the 1911 to be a "smooth" shooter while polymers tend to give a lot of snap, so it may be that a poly is for you or maybe the 1911 is for you but you won't know until you shoot both ultimately.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I'm an old timer and probably have some "old ideas" but I collect guns - but don't and don't intend to own any plastic guns. Just a bias against that material against known long lasting metal and wood. I don't think you can beat a 45 for carry - although most as issued are not the most accurate handgun out there, plenty accurate for my use - carry gun for defense and plinking. If you have shot before I doubt you will have any problem "re-learning" the 45. In my opinion they do not have bad recoil due to their weight. If I were you I would try some targeting with the 45 and look into reloading - To me reloading is a real fun hobby and gives you a lot of options with the ammo you want to use.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm an old timer and probably have some "old ideas" but I collect guns - but don't and don't intend to own any plastic guns. Just a bias against that material against known long lasting metal and wood. I don't think you can beat a 45 for carry - although most as issued are not the most accurate handgun out there, plenty accurate for my use - carry gun for defense and plinking. If you have shot before I doubt you will have any problem "re-learning" the 45. In my opinion they do not have bad recoil due to their weight. If I were you I would try some targeting with the 45 and look into reloading - To me reloading is a real fun hobby and gives you a lot of options with the ammo you want to use.

I do like the trigger on my 1911 better than any of the polymer guns I have shot so far.

Thanks. My 1911 is a 4.25" barrel so it may recoil a little more, though I agree with you and another poster that I did not see a huge difference between the M&P 9 I shot and mine.

Could I run lighter loads or a lighter bullet weight and see any change in recoil? I am using factory 230 gr FMJ round nose. (PMC, RWS, WW Box)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Keep the .45, get a 22 in same design, or a .22 upper, take as much training as you can afford.

Yeah, I am leaning that way. The $500 for a 9mm would go a long way. My Ruger MKII is a nice practice pistol to work on fundamentals.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are some light recoil rds. available on the market for reasonable money. Armscor, PMC are light recoil .45 ACP rds. and easy enough on the pocket if you shop around.
    We run full power loads in our .45's but we are recoil junky's so it is all in what you like.
    Stay with the 1911. Get the right rd. for you and the gun. What brand do you have as it might be ammo finicky. It may take a few trips to the range but once you get dialed in you will not regret sticking with the 1911 platform and the great ergonomics.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There are some light recoil rds. available on the market for reasonable money. Armscor, PMC are light recoil .45 ACP rds. and easy enough on the pocket if you shop around.
    We run full power loads in our .45's but we are recoil junky's so it is all in what you like.
    Stay with the 1911. Get the right rd. for you and the gun. What brand do you have as it might be ammo finicky. It may take a few trips to the range but once you get dialed in you will not regret sticking with the 1911 platform and the great ergonomics.

Funny, I used to think I liked the recoil, but I am going to start shooting .44 Specials in my Model 29.:) The magnums were too punishing(they were hot hunting loads).

It's a SA Loaded Champion. So far it has shot PMC, RWS and Winchester White box with zero malfunctions. I have 550 rounds through it.

Hope your hanging in there. I don't know how close geographically you were to your father, I was long distance and I missed the phone calls.

CallMaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    PNW
    There is really no reasn you can't have both.

I have several of each type and enjoy them all.

Don't be limited by mere expense, after all, we can't take all that money with us.

Life is short, eat dessert first!!!!

Ed

Top Bottom