• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OK guys I need some recommendations for pants to wear everyday to work. I am currently assigned uniforms but we are allowed to buy our own pants. The Red Knap work jeans that I have from the uniform company has small front pockets and has a tendency to eat nuts when squatting or climbing. Mostly I sit behind a desk anymore but occasionally I actually do real work. I like the laundry service but washing pants would not be a huge deal.

Needs: Large pockets, room in the crotch, relaxed fit, good belt loops, can be either jeans or khakis/chinos. Room for additional gear that INGO type people would carry. You know like flashlights. The styling must be such that I can talk to customers and in relaxed office/shop settings. I don't mind spending a little money if the pants will hold up for a while.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Men's DuluthFlex Fire Hose Pants - Duluth Trading I have been considering trying some of these. I wear pants out pretty fast at work, especially around the pockets where knives and flashlights go.

I was was actually looking at the Duluth middle management chino and no BS chino. The firehouse pant might be a little too industrial but did catch my eye. My assigned work shirts are a choice of a cool wick style polo with pocket or an Oxford style work shirt.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    You basically described 5.11s. I discovered them when I joined the VFD, and I liked them so well they're pretty much all I own for pants for anything that doesn't require a suit. Have some I've worn near daily for five or six years. The blue ones have faded a bit from washing but the khaki ones are fine. The front pocket liners developed some holes from all the keys and coins and stuff, but the pants them selves are in great shape, no stitching has come undone, no wear-through (other than the pocket liners, which I fixed with iron-on patches).

5.11 has versions with more and some with less pockets so you can adjust the utilitarian look, and a couple different kinds of materials. I split my time between being in an office greeting customers and semi-manual work around the property, and the 5.11s are perfect for this.

Some people get all wee-wee'd up because they think 5.11s are all Timmy tactical or something, but my answer is thbbbbt. They're comfy, they look good, they got pockets where I need'em, and they last forever.

I suspect the Duluth FireHose pants would be good too, but I've haven't felt compelled to try them, I've been happy enough with 5.11s.

Good luck.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I love my Duluth pants. I have two pair of the Firehose Flex, two pair of the Ballroom Midweight Carpenter Pants, and a pair of the heavier weight cargo pants. I highly recommend them all. I'd wait until they go on sale (which is almost monthly) and you can get them for 20% off. The Firehose Flex pants have 3% spandex built-in so they are lighter weight and more flexible. If you are going to be outside in the heat, then the Firehose Flex would be the way to go.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Duluth is nice but can be pricey. I like Riggs Work wear. It is a wrangler brand but is great quality reasonably priced

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    To the Duluth guys since, The Firehose Flex pants have 3% spandex built-in so they are lighter weight and more flexible. But will they make my white ass look smaller ?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Go with Duluth! I've tried the Riggs, and the stitching is HORRIBLE! All of the seams and pocket bottoms blew out because of poor quality stitching or thread? I tried a second pair, and the same thing happened. All Duluth for me if it isn't TAD or Kuhl.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    cedartop got my first thought several hours ago. I would really give them a look. Everything you described had me thinking of those as I read. I'd start there and if you don't like them then start looking elsewhere.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Have used a lot of different companies pants, and the 5.11s seem to be a good investment, have the durability, and comfortable. I do a part time Security Job, and after a year of wash and wear, they didn't fade out, but after broke in, work. The 5.11 company has a lot of different styles, but I removed the ankle ties, turned up the bottom as hem line and wash n wear. Have cargo pockets, zip fly, bigger pockets, rear pocket flaps with working Velcro corners that still work after a year, double knee, seat, and slider waist with belt loops that fit my 1 3/4 operators belt. Good pants! Think they were like $45.00 pair through Quartermaster. 5 Stars!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    No one said anything about working miracles....
    hehehehe...maybe some things just aren't meant to be.

I third, fourth, whatever...the recommendations for Duluth's stuff. I've got 2 shoreman fleece jackets, a few shirts, and did own two pairs of their ballroom pants, and all have been excellent.

I killed the pants, but it's about the user, not the product. NOBODY can make a pair of pants that do what I need and cannot be killed...least, I haven't found them yet.

-Nate

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    VertX! Better than all the others I've tried and you don't need to iron them. They look more "business" than most tactical pants. They run small from my experience though to order a size bigger.

https://youtu.be/c8FbxAmuyMM

BFP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2014
    Seymour
    Duluth, all I've worn for a couple of years, but a word of caution, I wear shorts everyday. No, I know guys tell you that, but I really do. You can't go wrong with anything from Duluth.

Top Bottom