• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Danners...the USA made ones. Leather last for years, resole them every 2 for $30. Waterproof, breathable, warm in the winter and cool in the summer. They have saved my feet many times over. Love mine. I wear the Recons but most of my coworkers wear the Acadias.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Since you are in Franklin, go see Chris at Footwear Supply. He is right behind Dominos on 31 and he has the boot trucks that he takes to facilities. I'm working on getting him set up with my employer to come to our office for our service guys. He has tons of options and carries all sorts of brands. I also do HVAC work and loose those steel toes! Go composite. Much lighter and just as strong. They also don't get ice cold when your outside in the winter. If something smashes the steel toe...it's going to pinch toes. Composite will absorb the impact and spread it out. I've been buying my boots from Chris for the last several years.... Actually I think I'm about due for a new pair. He also has several types of insoles that make a huge difference.

Ralphie Parker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2013
    Waterloo
    I normally wear wolverine. I tried Danner Corvalis this time and won't get 8 months out of them. I'm really disappointed. They felt a lot more comfortable than their American made ones. That was an expensive lesson. I WILL go back to Wolverine next time.

nb1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Columbus
    I've had a lot of luck with the Timberland Pro Series. Also if made in USA is of any importance I've also had luck with HH work boots.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    When I worked in the field (25 years) I always wore Red Wings. Usually got a couple of years out of a pair. I wore Hoffman lineman's boots when I did utility work. Not nearly as comfortable as my Red Wings, but I needed a high top boot for climbing poles.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I normally wear wolverine. I tried Danner Corvalis this time and won't get 8 months out of them. I'm really disappointed. They felt a lot more comfortable than their American made ones. That was an expensive lesson. I WILL go back to Wolverine next time.
    Any of their recraftable boots will be better. I don't like molded soles for longevity. Quite a few guys have 10-15 years out of the Acadia's...with numerous resoles.

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    I like Redwing's and go to the Indy Southside Redwing store on Hanna between Madison and US 31. The backroom is their "Factory Outlet" deal room.

2 weeks ago, I got a $140 pair of boots for $100!!!

That store has always had the best deals on Redwings, I've shopped there for many years.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've had a lot of luck with the Timberland Pro Series. Also if made in USA is of any importance I've also had luck with HH work boots.

I've got some Timberland Pros that I am fairly hard on in a machine shop. They've got the anti-fatigue technology and they're honestly almost as comfortable as going barefoot (I'm not a fan of wearing shoes of any sort). The way they're wearing, they'll last longer than I'll probably wear them. Got them on sale at The Working Person Store, really should have bought 2 pair because of the price they had on them.

Benny, Find a Red Wing Shoes Store - Red Wing Shoe Locations.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Just saw this thread.

I took some shrapnel in my left ankle back in 2007. That there left me with a DD214 and a serious need for GOOD boots. I do seriously heavy, dirty, hard work for 10-16 hours EVERY day. Redwings last me four months. The best thing I ever did for my feet is invest in TWO pairs of Wesco boots.

http://www.wescoboots.com/wesco/home.asp

Yes, they are expensive. DAMN expensive. However, I've been wearing them for five years. (I alternate the pairs every other day. Gotta let the just worn pair sit on the dryer.) Five years of nonstop abuse. They're starting to get pretty ragged now, but for about 50% the cost of new Wesco will rebuild them. The money for the custome fit pair was definitely worth it.

Let's do the math:
    Redwings = $200, 4 month lifespan (for me) = 15 pairs in five years. $3k for five years of Redwings, $6k for ten years.

Wesco = $700, two pair (I ordered two pair at once to alternate) $1400. +50% for rebuild and another 5 years of usage = $700. $2100 for ten years.

YMMV, but this is the ONLY option that makes sense to me.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    About 15 years ago, the place I worked for bought me a pair of Georgia steel toes because my tech job occasionally had me go out on the factory floor. When that job ended, the boots just went in the closet. I tried them on a couple of years ago and they still fit great, but the soles just disintegrated wherever I walked. Is the only way to get a solid pair of work boots like that resoled to take them to a dedicated cobbler shop?

Right now, whenever I'm heading to school (IVY Tech) and the machine shop, I have a pair of cheap, Chinese-made "Dexter" brand boots. They fit better than any pair of boots I've ever worn, but I fully expect them to disintegrate any month.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Rockies, I can't wear redwings, they kill my feet! When I was working construction I switched to Rockies, they felt like I was walking on 2" of firm memory foam, and having issues with planter phastitus(sp?) made my day so much more comfortable. I got two solid years out of them working and another 2 years of wearing them around the house.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Just saw this thread.

I took some shrapnel in my left ankle back in 2007. That there left me with a DD214 and a serious need for GOOD boots. I do seriously heavy, dirty, hard work for 10-16 hours EVERY day. Redwings last me four months. The best thing I ever did for my feet is invest in TWO pairs of Wesco boots.

http://www.wescoboots.com/wesco/home.asp

Yes, they are expensive. DAMN expensive. However, I've been wearing them for five years. (I alternate the pairs every other day. Gotta let the just worn pair sit on the dryer.) Five years of nonstop abuse. They're starting to get pretty ragged now, but for about 50% the cost of new Wesco will rebuild them. The money for the custome fit pair was definitely worth it.

Let's do the math:
    Redwings = $200, 4 month lifespan (for me) = 15 pairs in five years. $3k for five years of Redwings, $6k for ten years.

Wesco = $700, two pair (I ordered two pair at once to alternate) $1400. +50% for rebuild and another 5 years of usage = $700. $2100 for ten years.

YMMV, but this is the ONLY option that makes sense to me.

Impressive company. Definitely high end but sometimes well worth it. Don't cheap out on your feet.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I am a huge believer in rotating my work boots every day and I have several different pairs I wear due to different work conditions and rotating them daily. I typically bought more by what was on sale than by brand. I have found that Timberlands have far outlasted every other brand I have bought. I sent a pair of timberlands back with a warranty claim and they were replaced with no hassles. Since they honored that warranty claim I now go out of my way to buy only timberlands.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    About 15 years ago, the place I worked for bought me a pair of Georgia steel toes because my tech job occasionally had me go out on the factory floor. When that job ended, the boots just went in the closet. I tried them on a couple of years ago and they still fit great, but the soles just disintegrated wherever I walked. Is the only way to get a solid pair of work boots like that resoled to take them to a dedicated cobbler shop?

Right now, whenever I'm heading to school (IVY Tech) and the machine shop, I have a pair of cheap, Chinese-made "Dexter" brand boots. They fit better than any pair of boots I've ever worn, but I fully expect them to disintegrate any month.

There is a shop in Broad Ripple I used to use for my boots. They used to do a really good job on resoles and such.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I just broke down last night and bought my first good apir of work boots. Went with the Wolverines..... First day in them today (dont need them for work, but wanted them for other various reasons)... Whats the average break-in time for a good pair of boots? Never owned a nice pair before, so I am in uncharted waters.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    If they fit CORRECTLY, no break in should be needed.

I just broke down last night and bought my first good apir of work boots. Went with the Wolverines..... First day in them today (dont need them for work, but wanted them for other various reasons)... Whats the average break-in time for a good pair of boots? Never owned a nice pair before, so I am in uncharted waters.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom