• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    My Redwings wore out after almost two years. Is that as good as I'm gonna get? I do HVAC work so all of the working environments that that implies.

I need waterproof, slip-on, steal toe's. I really love these Redwings but they were pretty salty (close to $300). Is there a brand out there that you've had good luck with? Or do I just need to give up looking and save my pennies?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I work pipeline construction, mostly deal with distribution. Generally I get a year out of my boots, sometimes a year and ahalf. II've had good luck with Rocky, Wolverines, and Carolinas

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    You will be hard pressed to find anything better than red wings. MY brother has a pair he has to get resoled every year cause he works in a tool room and the oils eat through the rubber sole but he has had them a good 5 years probably.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    My Redwings wore out after almost two years. Is that as good as I'm gonna get? I do HVAC work so all of the working environments that that implies.

I need waterproof, slip-on, steal toe's. I really love these Redwings but they were pretty salty (close to $300). Is there a brand out there that you've had good luck with? Or do I just need to give up looking and save my pennies?

http://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-Mens-Revolver-Pull-On-Steel/dp/B001R4BZES

I've owned these for around two years, probably worn them 70-75% of that time...with the exception of one of the pull loops breaking about a month ago, they are still going strong

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Danner is good, but really 2 years is about the limit for any boot if you aren't taking it to a cobbler for regular work. I always go through the soles of my boots first. I'm trying a pair of Justin Cowboy work boots right now with the composite toe. I don't run into any problems with composite toes in HVAC work. My biggest worry has always been making sure I have a Steel spike plate in the sole. This is a big + for new construction HVAC installs as there are random nails EVERYWHERE!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Damp conditions are really hard on shoes. If you wear them every day they never really get a chance to dry out.

Due to Westinghouse buying me new Redwing safety shoes every year, even when I worked in 90% of the time in the office, I left there with three brand new pairs of Redwing shoes. I started wearing them for service work and rotating the wear, so they would only be worn every third day. Those three pairs of shoes lasted better than 12 years, and more importantly, my feet were always healthy and never hurt.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    like naptown said, danner boots are great, i would put them up agains redwings anyday.

Redwings were always made in the USA. A couple of years ago I tried to buy more, and everything they had was from red china. I don't mind paying $175 for quality shoes, but I will not pay that price for red china shoes. Do you know where your Danner boots are made?

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I wear Ariat Workhogs with the composite toe. LOVE THEM! I work in warehouse/shipping/receiving and am on my feet on concrete, trailer fllors, and steel docks pretty much all day. I wear them all day, everyday from 04:00 when I get up til 22:00 when I crash. When the insoles begin to wear out around the heels or toe area I buy new Ariat ATS Max insoles for them.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Redwings were always made in the USA. A couple of years ago I tried to buy more, and everything they had was from red china. I don't mind paying $175 for quality shoes, but I will not pay that price for red china shoes. Do you know where your Danner boots are made?
    Real Danners are made in the USA. And you are correct, if you want your boots to last you MUST rotate them. I got 5 years out of 2 pairs of Magnums doing that! Everyone should know Magnums don't last!

I wear Ariat Workhogs with the composite toe. LOVE THEM! I work in warehouse/shipping/receiving and am on my feet on concrete, trailer fllors, and steel docks pretty much all day. I wear them all day, everyday from 04:00 when I get up til 22:00 when I crash. When the insoles begin to wear out around the heels or toe area I buy new Ariat ATS Max insoles for them.

I was eyeballing a pair of those with the bright redish brown upper, but they didn't have my size so I pulled the trigger on the Justins.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I get around a year in my Redwings. But I'm a bigger guy and everything else doesn't hold up nearly as long. The "non metallic" saftey toe is a great option. Lighter and it doesn't stay cold in the winter months. If you have wide feet, the oversized "KingToe" feature is great. More room for your piggies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I just bought my second pair of timberlands. First lasted 3 years and are still wearable if I were to put inserts in the bottom. I work in a body shop so I'm constantly on the ground and the boots see wear all over them. Really pleased with them so far.

Jon

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    When I used to wear work boots the two brands I stuck with were Wolverine and Red Wing. I worked with lots of solvents/oils so the rubber would wear prematurely but I'd get about a year and a couple months out of each pair.

ETA: I had insulated/waterproof winter boots and water resistant summer boots, so they did get rotated. I should say I got two x 6 month "seasons" plus some out of each pair. So actually two plus years, but I only wore each for half the year. My RedWings were summer boots and Wolverines in the winter. No reason why, just that's what I bought and liked. Went through a half dozen cheapo boots before realizing quality comes with a price tag.

Last edited:

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have had pretty good experiences with Red Wings, I work at a variety of job sites from rail yards, gas stations, and even deep in some woods. Go to an actual Red Wing store to pick out a style that matches what work environment you'll be in. I have a couple pairs that are over 4 years old that still hold up well and use my newer pairs for when it's raining heavy. I use mink oil about twice a year though to help keep the leather in somewhat decent shape. In college I worked at a foundry and wore caterpillars which I don't recommend as they didn't hold up and weren't comfortable. Even with the Red Wings I replace the insole with some Dr. Scholls since working on asphalt for a 8 hours I prefer a little bit extra cushion. If you work outside during the winter I also recommend getting a "winter" boot that is insulated and typically the waterproofing holds up longer.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I don't do anything resembling construction nor do I work outdoors very much. That being said, I love these boots.

C.E. Schmidt® Men's Steel Toe Wellington Boot, 10 in. H - Tractor Supply Co.

I'm on my feet most of the day and they provide great comfort and support. When they get scraped up they are easy to get looking great again with regular shoe polish. I've been wearing these every day for over a year and they have a lot left in them. Plus they don't cost as much as some other brands. :twocents:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Carharrt Boots

I am a full time mechanic and spend a lot of time in boots. Laying, crawling and standing on concrete floors are pretty common on any given day. I have tried almost every brand of boots on the market and for the money and the quality and longevity of the boots I have settled on Carharrt boots. At about 100.00 bucks I get close to a year and a half of everyday wear out of them. My newest pair I have had just over a year and are still pretty decent. They have been soaked in gas, oil, grease, break fluid, rubbed on rough concrete, and just worn in that time and are still holding up great. They may not be made in the USA but they are still good quality boots for the money.

Honestly I was not to impressed with the pair of Redwings I had. They were the worst fitting least comfortable boots I have ever had and yes I got the right size. They didn't last any longer than my Carharrts but costs twice as much.

The most comfortable pair of boots I have ever had were Doc Martins. But they didn't last very long. The sole began to separate from the boots the first time I got gas on them.

Carharrt is a compromise, they are decently comfortable and last just as long as anything else I've tried.

Top Bottom