• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    So my buddy gets "demoted" at work the other day and posts about it on facebook. I comment about how i thought the reason was dumb and it was bad timing. The guy pulls a munson and accidentally tags the business in his post and the whole conversation goes on the page of the business. Well a couple days later I get pulled aside and get a talkin' to from our GM which includes telling me I'm not allowed to comment on another employee's post if it's about the business. I didn't argue with him and just said ok and moved on. But it leaves me wondering if the scolding was founded or not. I understand the GM's point of view, but am I not allowed to say my thoughts without threat of disciplinary action from my boss? You tell me.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    A lot of companies have these rules with some even demanding you inform them upon hiring of your page/account name.

I think it's total BS and a further trampling of our rights. But, then again, I refuse to have accounts with all those sites in the first place. I never could understand the néed for people to put all their info out there like that.

I try to give out as little info or details on myself for this very reason although I am sure some tech savy guy could figure out everything about me from this post alone using some matrix crap!

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    But it leaves me wondering if the scolding was founded or not. I understand the GM's point of view, but am I not allowed to say my thoughts without threat of disciplinary action from my boss? You tell me.

Most employees are employed at the will of their employer. Your employer can generally fire you for any reason or no reason unless the firing was based on race, gender or some other protected status. The First Amendment only protects you from government, not your employer. So expressing a negative opinion on the actions of your employer is subject to disciplinary action and/or firing.

trgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    South West Indy
    I do not agree with the "scolding" but not much that you can do about it. I do not have "friends" at work on my fb account. At least Congress said that we do not have to give our fb passwords to employers

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    Most employees are employed at the will of their employer. Your employer can generally fire you for any reason or no reason unless the firing was based on race, gender or some other protected status. The First Amendment only protects you from government, not your employer. So expressing a negative opinion on the actions of your employer is subject to disciplinary action and/or firing.

How about if your employer is the government?

Gunner

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You cannot complain about your employer in a public place. They can, and should, terminate your employment if you do.

If you aren't grateful for your job, complaining publicly is one good way to show it, and expedite the termination process.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You cannot complain about your employer in a public place. They can, and should, terminate your employment if you do.

If you aren't grateful for your job, complaining publicly is one good way to show it, and expedite the termination process.

This ^^^^^. Well, mostly.

Facebook is no different than any other public setting. I'm not saying don't do it (we all complain about our jobs now and then), but don't be surprised if/when it gets back to your boss.

To the OP: write this off as a learning experience. Assuming, of course, you learned something!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

That is ridiculous blanket statement.

There are times when such action would be warranted, but the vast majority would not. A company would be stupid to just fire any employee that they found complaining as they would end up losing a lot of productive employees that way.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That is ridiculous blanket statement.

There are times when such action would be warranted, but the vast majority would not. A company would be stupid to just fire any employee that they found complaining as they would end up losing a lot of productive employees that way.

If your company treats you poorly, such as taking you in the back and beating you savagely... you shouldn't work there. Quit, and complain to the authorities.

If you think your manager sucks or your company has crappy policies, and you yell and whine about it to the public (instead of your manager), you should expect to be let go.

I wouldn't hire, or keep, someone that speaks badly about my company... because I'm paying them to do a job. Badmouthing me and my hypothetical company is not part of that job.

This is why you see company complaint websites out there... they are anonymous for a reason.

Want to complain? Join a union.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You have stumbled on the raging and growing ethical debate of citizens rights vs employers.

Hopefully in the next few years there will be something which is addressed as taking precedence over one or the other legally, but it will require someone to challenge it at a national level.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    You have a right to speak your mind about anything, including your boss. That doesn't mean that there will be zero consequences. Your boss has the right to terminate you, anytime.

You aren't entitled to continue receiving paychecks from an employer that doesn't want you. Be on your best behavior because your employment is not an inalienable right.

Top Bottom