• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Put your gun up for sale in the INGO classifieds. Bradis usually begs people to try to sell privately because they can't match what can be garnered in a private sale.

Edit: ^^^^^What he said.^^^^^^

rmoore911

Plinker
    Feb 24, 2011
    SE Indy
    I get where the OP is coming from, but I understand the shop's POV as well. Verbal offers are just offers, if you walk away from when the offer was made, they other party has the right to change the offer. I think that was quite a bit of a change in offers though, but one day and one person may have one oppinion and another person on another day might have another.

turn4chatter

Plinker
    May 14, 2010
    I have bought several guns at Bradis....Some of the sales people "worked" with me better than others. The human factor can cause variation in price especially with a trade in value.

A sales guy that doesn't like a model likely wouldn't offer as much as one that does...Just human nature.

But I will say that I feel my worst deal at Bradis was still a good deal :)

Simon6101

Master
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Set standards

Bradis has a set of rules that the owners have established that determines exactly what we can offer. We explain this to every customer that requests an offer.

dubsac

Master
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Seems like just anyone could walk in off the street and say "I was here three days ago and some guy whose name I don't know offered me $X for my gun." Should have gotten it in writing. I've always worked by the principle that the offer is only good until I walk out the door, unless I have it in writing, usually with a deadline: "Offer good for 5 days" or somesuch.
    ^^^^^^^ this or at least gotten the guys name who gave you that offer and returned when the were working
    Bradis is a good shop IMO and gets high praise from many other INGO'rs
    just my :twocents:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I was the manager on duty today. I did not witness the conversation you had with the employee on Saturday. When Jim, the employee who helped you today, brought me the guns in question and explained the terms of the deal you related to him, I was shocked because the trade allowance on your gun was MUCH higher than we are normally allowed to do under the guidelines put in place by the owners. The employee you talked to on Saturday should have known that. The counter-offer I told Jim to take back to you was in line with those guidelines, and I did offer to lower the price on the new gun you were looking at, to help make up the difference.

After Jim went back to talk to you again, I never heard anything else about it. You certainly did not ask to speak to me face to face, or I would have been happy to do so and explain our policy regarding what we can offer on used guns, and why you might have gotten a different figure today than you had on Saturday.

I am sorry you were disappointed in your visit. We value each and every one of our customers and will do whatever we can within reason to see they are taken care of. But I am not going to call my employees on their day off to see if they recall a trade offer they made on a gun three days ago, which the customer declined at the time.

We have discussed requiring employees to put ALL quotes in writing, whether or not the customer accepts them, to prevent just this sort of thing from happening in the future. Some employees already do this. But making it mandatory is a policy decision that needs to be made by the owners, and they have not yet done so.

ralphb72

Expert
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Everyone is right...... I was wrong. Sorry for posting my experience. Now everyone knows what not to do right????

You were not wrong for posting your experience no reason to say your sorry either, that's one of the reasons we are here to help each other and learn from each other. I have never been to the establishment in question and I have never taken in a gun to try to trade in, but I certainly will remember now to get any special pricing or offers to trade in writing and ask how long the price will be honored at my local (semi-local) gun store.

I read this also: "We have discussed requiring employees to put ALL quotes in writing, whether or not the customer accepts them,...."

That says good things about the place, they are willing to listen to a new customer and update their procedures to make sure this does not happen to anyone else.

And Welcome to INGO!

maxmayhem

Master
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    if this happened they way i understand it then legally the gun shop has no obligation to honor the offer the next day. They can change their prices every hour if they want.
    Ethically, though this is a strong word for this situation, or from a customer service standpoint the gunshop really dropped the ball. I would have honored the deal. A reasonable person should and could expect the same deal the next day. You lose a customer and creidibility for $100 in addition to the profit from the used gun. I have worked at Kay Jewelers and dealt with the situation many times on trade ins. You have a rookie employee who, though a rookie, is still an agent of your company. Any offers that they make should be offered and you have the obligation to train your staff before turning them loose. I think that if it were my decision that the deal should have been honored for a set time period. I think the gun shop should also bear the brunt of the miscommunication though the op should have got an expiration date on the quote and had it written down. Just my 2 cents.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    would $100 really make that much difference? it's not like a profit wouldn't have been made anyways. and you would have made a loyal customer for life.

i agree with maxmayhem, though i based on the OP's description I don't think the employee he dealt with originally is new (though I could be wrong). A simple phone call would have cleared it up. There appears to be some issues with the rookies, as evidenced by this and the PPK thread.

maxmayhem

Master
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    reasonable person application

I think it would be reasonable to think that the quote would be good the next business day. The OP should have gotten a commitment for the next business day and the employee should have been more accurate and also given any stipulations about the deal. The store is also responsible for the accuracy of the statements/offers of its employee regardless of tenure. This has not hurt my opinion of the gun shop but reinforced my opinion that you need to get things in writing. He did decline the offer though so it was a dead deal when he declined it. I think that both parties lose in this situation and the lesson should be to have better communication with customers and your employees. The people at this store are some of the nicest people I have met in a gun store. I think that they should try to reach a compromise with the OP so that their relationship with the customer can be restored.
    Frankly, if I plan on not taking someones verbal offer on the spot, and plan to go think about it for a while, I get a written quote.

Just sayin. How long is a shop supposed to honor a verbal offer made by a weekend employee?

2 days? 3? 5? 10? a month? 5 months? Till the customer walks out the door?

308jake

Master
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    My opinion......if you snooze, you lose.

opportunity doth knock but once.

carpe diem

live and let live

don't eat yellow snow

and last but not least.....b$$ch I bring home the Bacon...

Ltemfly4

Plinker
    Apr 22, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I
    Appreciate all the comments on this matter. And most everyone is right. I should have gotten it in writing, but being that I have dealt with them on numerous occasions and with other people who I have been with there who have made purchases i thought that I wouldn't have had this problem, or obviously I would have done that. The money wasn't the big deal, it is the principle. I appreciate the manager explaining the policies and I work for a family run business as well and know the policies are just that 'guidelines'. I just feel they could have told me to come back when the people in question were working. I am off my soapbox for now and that is my 2 cents for whatever it's worth:) I am getting a Kimber crimson on thur. Anyways. Yeah!

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    So we can put this one to bed. In the end, you are getting yourself a Kimber so you're comming out ahead no matter what happened, you still win. Next time, sell your gun on INGO, take the cash (the KING) and go buy what you want.

anthony010

Marksman
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    Frankly, if I plan on not taking someones verbal offer on the spot, and plan to go think about it for a while, I get a written quote.

Just sayin. How long is a shop supposed to honor a verbal offer made by a weekend employee?

2 days? 3? 5? 10? a month? 5 months? Till the customer walks out the door?

+1

Top Bottom