• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Congrats! Great achievement! By necessity (being poor), I did it the opposite. I joined the Army after high school and fortunately got some marketable skills. I took some night school classes while serving. I went to school full-time on the G.I. Bill after the Army. I was married with a kid. My wife worked and I worked part-time while I was in school. I still had loans and drained our savings account. I went to a trimester school year around and got my degree in under 3 years. Luckily I was able to carry the credits I picked up in night school. I got credit for some courses because of the Army schools I completed. These things helped shorten my stay in school. I don't know how folks do it today. The length of time and cost are out of this world.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Holy Fark!

$185k? Avg. of $37/k a year? $18.5k/SEMESTER? :n00b:

And FANTASTIC of you to #1) graduate. And #2) desire to join the military!

Now, if you can get Uncle Sugar to pay off those loans... You're welcome. (my tax dollars and all that. :D )

Guess I can't believe how expensive that RHIT is! I think that my 5 years of college came in at right around $21k.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Congratulations! It sorta soothes that knot that you've had in the pit of your gut for the last five years,doesn't it? I know how you feel.:):yesway:

It took me several months to get the 'Sunday night homework' knot out of my stomach.

Congratulations on accomplishing a major goal. I'm a Rose grad and have some understanding of what a meat grinder that place can be. Well done! :rockwoot:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Don't worry about the PFT...Let your drill instructor worry about that.D

Congrats on the degree....you going enlisted or officer?

I'll be going the officer route. I have to worry about the PFT somewhat because if I can't pass it, I can't sign up! (Click here to read the requirements.) I've been talking to the Officer Selection Officer (OSO) in Indianapolis since the summer after my junior year. I think he might be discouraged that I'm still not in shape, but I just ain't smart enough to put in the study hours AND workout hours. So I set my priorities: 1) finish the degree, 2) get in shape. One down; one to go!

Thanks for blurring out the name on the thing ao I can add mine!!!
    Just kidding, congrats! Very wise to get college before going into the service MUUUUCH better life as a Officer.

I actually wound up down at the Fort Wayne recruiting office towards the end of high school. But between my Dad's "strong encouragements" and what I now see as a failure to recognize an opportunity on the part of the recruiter, I was talked out of anything other than going to Rose-Hulman. (The recruiter should've told me about Annapolis! Or at least ROTC.) Anyway, after several years in college, I still wanna do military service, so I'm gonna do it before I get too old and spend the rest of my life wishing I'd done it.

Congratulations! It sorta soothes that knot that you've had in the pit of your gut for the last five years,doesn't it? I know how you feel.:):yesway:

"AAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh..."
    relaxation.jpg

if you join the service they should pay back part of your loans! dont take no for an answer if you are joining with a degree you should be an officer

Yep, there's some level of funds available for paying off student loans. That wasn't the main reason I'm joining, so I wasn't too worried about it before. But I do need to start looking into it now. My loans go into repayment in June, so that's why I got the part-time job to so I can start making the monthly payments even though I don't have my full-time military job under way yet.

Holy Fark!

$185k? Avg. of $37/k a year? $18.5k/SEMESTER? :n00b:

And FANTASTIC of you to #1) graduate. And #2) desire to join the military!

Now, if you can get Uncle Sugar to pay off those loans... You're welcome. (my tax dollars and all that. :D )

Guess I can't believe how expensive that RHIT is! I think that my 5 years of college came in at right around $21k.

Yep, that's about right! It's approximately $40k per year, which has 3 quarters (as opposed to 2 semesters). I did 4 years and one quarter as a fulltime student, then the last 2 quarters I was part time. Downside of a small school is if you miss a class one year, you gotta wait another year for it to be offered again. Oh well; worth the wait!

Congrats, but I have to ask. People actually go to Rose for something other than engineering?

Yep, Rose is about science, engineering, and technology, but mostly engineering. We're not quite sure where the economics majors fit in, though!

It took me several months to get the 'Sunday night homework' knot out of my stomach.

Congratulations on accomplishing a major goal. I'm a Rose grad and have some understanding of what a meat grinder that place can be. Well done! :rockwoot:

One nice thing about being part time the last two quarters is that I didn't have quite as much homework on Sundays (if I was diligent on Friday and Saturday, that is).

Thanks again, all! Time to go wash the truck with the kiddos! They'll love playing with the hose and climbing all over it :yesway:

Oh, and they wanted me to use this smiley... :ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15:
    :D

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I'll be going the officer route. I have to worry about the PFT somewhat because if I can't pass it, I can't sign up! (Click here to read the requirements.) I've been talking to the Officer Selection Officer (OSO) in Indianapolis since the summer after my junior year. I think he might be discouraged that I'm still not in shape, but I just ain't smart enough to put in the study hours AND workout hours. So I set my priorities: 1) finish the degree, 2) get in shape. One down; one to go!
    You don't have to be smart just disciplined :D

When I went to boot camp I could only do 3 pull ups, 30 sit-ups (2mins), and my 3 mile runs time was + 30 min. Pretty pathetic, when I graduated it was 40 pulls, 80 sit ups, and the 3 mile run still sucked but it was down to 24 min. My point is I didn't have any disciplne but my DI made sure I got what was needed.
    That was 20 years ago, do they require a PFT of enlisted personal now?
    How long for you to get into shape? Have you even tried the basic test to see how far you got to go. If you can't pass the required officer pft right now you coud enlisted for a few years. Mustangs make better officers IMO. How hard would it be to go in the reserves and once out of training apply for OCS? Just a thought anyways good luck and God bless.

Semper Fi

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    You don't have to be smart just disciplined :D

When I went to boot camp I could only do 3 pull ups, 30 sit-ups (2mins), and my 3 mile runs time was + 30 min. Pretty pathetic, when I graduated it was 40 pulls, 80 sit ups, and the 3 mile run still sucked but it was down to 24 min. My point is I didn't have any disciplne but my DI made sure I got what was needed.
    That was 20 years ago, do they require a PFT of enlisted personal now?
    How long for you to get into shape? Have you even tried the basic test to see how far you got to go. If you can't pass the required officer pft right now you coud enlisted for a few years. Mustangs make better officers IMO. How hard would it be to go in the reserves and once out of training apply for OCS? Just a thought anyways good luck and God bless.

Semper Fi

Well, yeah, I suppose you are right about being disciplined. Either way, now school's done so I don't have to worry about it any more! Whew!

I haven't really looked into starting out enlisted, so I have no idea what the physical requirements are before I could enlist. I'm sure there are _some_ requirements; gotta keep the grossly out-of-shape ones out, of course. I've heard before that going from enlisted to officer makes for a better officer, but at this point, I think that'll be just a fall-back option if somehow I can't get myself into shape on my own.

The other fall-back option is that I could join the Navy because their pilots go to exactly the same flight school -- even sit side by side in class with the Marine pilots -- but they have much less demanding physical requirements. I'm really trying to avoid using any fall-back plans, though. I want to be a Marine!

Thanks for the suggestions, _311. I'll be keeping INGO posted as I make progress.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hey OP:

About your fitness goals:

Get some personal training!!! There are all kinds of gyms in the Fort, pick one. My personal recommendations would be Cardinal and then LA Fitness. Not sure if 24-hour fitness offers any services like that or not, but if your summer schedule is whacked out, then the 24-hour places are fantastic.

I'm sure you know this being a Rose graduate and all... But running outside on a track/road will be more beneficial to your distance/time goals than running on a treadmill. (You might be able to jog a mile on a treadmill no problem in 9 minutes, but can't break 10 outside, things like that)

-J-

Top Bottom