• steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I built my wife a porch swing for Christmas. Check it out:

2012-12-21%2016.55.11.jpg

It's pretty nice. I designed it from scratch using Google Sketchup. it has a 6-foot seating area so someone could stretch out and nap, and I built it pretty sturdy and with all cedar lumber and stainless fasteners...hoping it will last a very long time.

Anyways, I am getting ready to build an a-frame for it and I am looking for some advice.

First question: I'm considering building the frame out of pressure treated pine, for cost saving purposes. I'm also having trouble finding a 4x6x12 piece of cedar to even price compare. Also, would cedar be as strong as pine? My wife has some large folks in her family and I'd hate to see them break this thing :):

Next question. Should I put any kind of stain on the cedar? What are some different types as well as pros and cons? And what about for the pine frame? Would it last longer if I stained it or something? (I'd also like the colors of the two to look nice together)

Also, if anyone wants a copy of my design (in Sketchup file format) PM me and I'll send it to you :D

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Very nice. I made the Mrs. a bench for valentines day myself...probably the best gift i ever got her and i loved working on it (as opposed to shopping :):)

First question: I'm considering building the frame out of pressure treated pine, for cost saving purposes. I'm also having trouble finding a 4x6x12 piece of cedar to even price compare. Also, would cedar be as strong as pine? My wife has some large folks in her family and I'd hate to see them break this thing :):

Try a local lumber yard as opposed to a big box store like HD...if they dont have the beam, they may be able to direct you to someone who does.

Strength-wise its hard to say...both cedar and pine are softwoods so its a tossup really. Take a look here and you'll see what i mean...

Strength Properties of Commercially Important Woods

The strength will be in your design/build of the frame itself. As long as the lumber is sized appropriately it'll hold. Take a look at some prebuilt swings at a store to get an idea if your stuck on the materials or design.

Next question. Should I put any kind of stain on the cedar? What are some different types as well as pros and cons? And what about for the pine frame? Would it last longer if I stained it or something? (I'd also like the colors of the two to look nice together)

My vote is no on staining cedar...it has a naturally nice color to it already (but its your build, your choice). Like you said, if you go pine for the frame, stain it a color that compliments the cedar...keep in mind if you try to stain them both, they likely will not match (different woods stain differently).

I always use Minwax products...you can find a stain for the pine that may closely match the cedar swing. Keep in mind that when the stain dries, it may not turn out how you thought it would (always a good idea to test it out on a piece of scrap first...of the same wood of course).

Stain wont make the wood last any longer, for that you'd need a sealer or polyurethane clear coat.

Also, if anyone wants a copy of my design (in Sketchup file format) PM me and I'll send it to you :D

I design all of my projects on the computer first, it saves time a material costs...i use SolidWorks myself (thank you work :D)

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Try a local lumber yard as opposed to a big box store like HD...if they dont have the beam, they may be able to direct you to someone who does.

Strength-wise its hard to say...both cedar and pine are softwoods so its a tossup really. Take a look here and you'll see what i mean...

Strength Properties of Commercially Important Woods

Alright, thanks for the ideas. I will check with a lumber yard and see what they've got.

My vote is no on staining cedar...it has a naturally nice color to it already (but its your build, your choice). Like you said, if you go pine for the frame, stain it a color that compliments the cedar...keep in mind if you try to stain them both, they likely will not match (different woods stain differently).

I think I'm sold on keeping it natural. I like the natural cedar look, and so does my wife.

Stain wont make the wood last any longer, for that you'd need a sealer or polyurethane clear coat.

Ok, so would you recommend one of those for the either the cedar swing or the pine frame? Do they change the look/feel of the wood? What kind of advantage do you think the offer in longevity?

Navykid05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    South Indy
    From my experiences, if it's going to sit outside you might want to hit it with a protector of some sort. A clear spar varnish or, for something that lasts longer, a clear deck protector. Lowe's carries an Olympic Maximum clear deck sealant. Something like that will easily last 5+ years before it needs to be touched up.

Just something to think about...

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Also, this is getting pretty darned expensive! I could pick up a $250 cheapo swing and frame at most of these big box stores. So far I've spent about $100 on the swing and I've priced out the frame, chain, springs and eyebolts at about $120.

I suppose I can feel a little better knowing that I've designed this thing to last forever and to hold 1,000+ pounds with a 6 foot seating area, whereas a cheapo from the store probably wouldn't be cedar or have stainless fasteners or be able to hold that many people. Plus I have some leftover hardware.

NyhtRyder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Indy
    If you like the natural look, clear coat them with an exterior marine polyurethane.

I just made 2 swings for our lake property, they aren't as long as the one you made, mine are about 50".

My swings also are mounted on just 4x4 post in the ground with a 4x4 cross piece for the swings to hang from. This is quite adeqaute.

I just completed mine yesterday, so i have not hung them up yet, but I am replacing two old store bought swings that are unsafe.

232.jpg

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If you like the natural look, clear coat them with an exterior marine polyurethane.

Hmm. Thank you for this idea.

My swings also are mounted on just 4x4 post in the ground with a 4x4 cross piece for the swings to hang from. This is quite adeqaute.

How did you do this so that the posts don't move? Did you cement them in or something?

Very nice, I like it! Did you do the polyurethane coat on that?

NyhtRyder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Indy
    No, the post are just set 3' deep and are about 6' above the ground.
    Just make sure you tamp the dirt as you fill in around the post.

The top rail is a half lap joint on top of the posts, then lag bolted on.

Yes, that swing does have a marine gloss finish on it, no stain and it is Cedar.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Ok, so would you recommend one of those for the either the cedar swing or the pine frame? Do they change the look/feel of the wood? What kind of advantage do you think the offer in longevity?

Personally i would recommend a clear coat/sealer on both (cedar swing or pine frame).

The cedar that is used today is not the same as it was years ago. Cedar lumber now comes from younger forests (due to the use of the existing "aged" woods over the years). It doesnt have as much of the natural oils that the wood used years ago had. Using a protective coating is only going to prolong the life of your swing. Just keep in mind that its something youre going to have to revisit every couple of years (just think of how many people have to restain/seal their deck every 2-5 years).

The look/feel will be changed to some degree depending on what you go with. For clear coats (polyurethane/varnish/lacquer) the type of finish you choose (glossy, semi-gloss, satin) plays a big part. The finish will reflect/absorb light making the wood seem shiny (glossy) or dull (satin)...same with the feel. A glossy clear coat will provide a slick, smooth feel and a satin will provide more of a rough finish.

Im not an expert on deck stains/sealers (heck, im not an expert at anything) but if you plan on leaving this swing outside permanently, it may be the way to go. But, if you go this route and stay with the "unfinished" clear look, make sure you look at ones with some sort of UV protection, otherwise your gonna end up with a sun dried, grayish monster.

NyhtRyder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Indy
    As if you can't tell by my posts already, I'm a woodworker with well over 30 years experience.

TheEngineer is correct, if you dont do something with some kind of finish it will turn grey over time.

You are only prolonging the natural look, it will turn grey eventually anyway from the sun.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Thank you so much, guys. This is a huge help.

One more question for you - Would a 4x4x10' top beam be sturdy enough for this swing? The chains would end up being space probably 80-85" apart so most of the force would be towards each end. What do you think? I'm trying to cut costs on this darn thing. Someday I'll probably have a porch to hang it in and won't need the frame any more.

ETA: I'll also have cross supports in it.

Something like this: http://www.buildeazy.com/newserve/swing_seat_support_dec07_2.html

NyhtRyder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Indy
    Sure, that seems like it would be ok.

Just make sure the 4x4 you use for the top has as few knots in it as possible.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I built my wife a porch swing for Christmas. Check it out:

2012-12-21%2016.55.11.jpg

It's pretty nice. I designed it from scratch using Google Sketchup. it has a 6-foot seating area so someone could stretch out and nap, and I built it pretty sturdy and with all cedar lumber and stainless fasteners...hoping it will last a very long time.

Anyways, I am getting ready to build an a-frame for it and I am looking for some advice.

Best stuff the world offers............
    Sikkens Deco US | Sikkens

But it ain' fer the 'faint of wallet'......but......the best they is....PERIOD.

:cool:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Eastern Red cedar can be custom gotten from the folks down in Marengo:
    Eastern Red Cedar Products Lumber

If I'd known you were looking for a custom cut I could have done 4x6x12' as I was milling a bunch of cedar last week. 4x6 for the legs is overkill and for the beam is just fine.

I do a lot of woodworking and now that I have sold my textiles manufacturing business I am looking to do more since my hardwood lumber supply is free :)

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Updating an old thread. Man, I sure am good at procrastinating.

I finally finished this swing for my wife.

I ended up making the stand with vertical legs instead of an A-frame, I think it is much more attractive that way.

Last step is to stain and seal the swing and the stand.

20140504_183627.jpg

Top Bottom