Wonder why Walmart has Ammo readily available now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My Walmart is great. The same guy must work every day 24x7 because he's always there. He knows me by now.

Meijer on the other hand is hopeless. No one ever asks you even if you camp out in front of the case. You're supposed to pick up the red phone if you need ammo. I tried that once and they said they would send someone back. I waited five minutes and then left.

Meijer will throw you out of the store if they see you are carrying a gun. I haven't spent a dime there in almost 15 years.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I too bet they have a great selection and prices, but my local Wal Mart is close and has a great selection of ammo at reasonable prices.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    In the Indianapolis area, the service at Beech Grove Wallyworld is 10X better than E. Washington. Plus at E. Washington, at least two times I have ended up waiting for someone to find the key alongside some pretty dubious characters who perhaps needed to resupply as a result of all the pops I heard in my slice of Eastside heaven the night before.

I agree that Meijer is almost always a real PITA, especially because they almost always take my ammo to the service desk up front for me to pay for when I have finished all my other shopping. I rarely buy from them, with the exception of the killer deal on S&B 9mm for $8 a box I caught about four months back :D

I buy other stuff from local guys but for 9mm it is hard to beat WM; though KS&E talked me into some Wolf for $9.99 the other day right after I also scored a great price on a box of 50 Magtech JHP's in .32

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This brings up a bigger issue of how hard it is to buy ammo in Fort Wayne. Walmarts sell it for a good price if you can get the guy over there and explain the difference that the number on the box means, like explaining the 9mm box is not the same as the 45acp.

There really is no one else in fort wayne who sells ammo at a good price. The two guys in New Haven have jack for a selection, H&H might have it at a high price, and I don't even want to get started on how much Gander sucks. About the best option up here is Tomlinson's in Churubusco if you're on the west side of town. I wish 21st would get the Fort Wayne franchise store opened up and then we wouldn't have as much to complain about up here. (hint hint)

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    The last time i went to a walmart they had a guy from automotive come open the case to get my ammo and then it was i had to pay in the garage area

________

Had the same situation.....so for now on I go over to the auto desk as there is almost always a guy over there and they keep a key there now.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I buy other stuff from local guys but for 9mm it is hard to beat WM

I've been selling PMC for 11.95 box and S&B 9mm for no more than 11.95 (In Store it's 10.95/box), all year. Wal-Marts WWB Q Loads were 13.47/50rds.

as for .223;

Aim PMC .223 @ $289.50/1k Sold Out!

21st Century Firearms PMC @ 279.00/1k In Stock!

as for 9MM

Lucky Gunner S&B 9MM $235.00/1k

21st Century Firearms S&B 9MM $219.00/1k

Plus I've never heard of a Wal-Mart inviting their customers to a cookout, I don't care if you are carrying a gun, and won't ever hassle you for it. Heck, I'm more likely to hassle you for not having a gun. If you're a regular or just are a nice guy, chances are we might deal with you. Try that at your local Wal-Mart. Now if you'll excuse me I have to take a customer to go shoot his new machine gun, so he doesn't have to wonder how cool it is while he waits for the stamps to come back on it.

:ingo:

The video wasn't really supposed to be and advertisement, but just a insight to my experience I had. It pretty sad that we had time to shoot 3 takes though before someone came running up and yelling at us to not us the phone, and not a sorry it took so long for us to help you.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Sam Walton would cry to see what they are doing with his idea.

Customer service has gone the way of the dinosaur.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Meijer will throw you out of the store if they see you are carrying a gun. I haven't spent a dime there in almost 15 years.

I'm sure it's like an other franchise and it depends on the location. I shop at the Southport meijer once a week or more and OC there with no problems. Also the ammo there isn't behind a glass case. Just sitting on the shelfs next to the fish bait. Course it's usually bare but if you know when the truck comes you can get some good deals using the meijer bucks coupons.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I've had trouble finding 12ga OO buck at Evansville Wallys but it is usually stocked in quantity at the one in Henderson, KY and at a good price. I've bought 6 or 8 boxes of the 15 count several times and there is usually someone close to the case so I don't have to wait.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Not to take anything away from 21st Century because they are a great shop, but Walmart at Maysville is the only one in Fort Wayne that has A) good stock B) good price on Federal Champion (9mm specifically, but others too) C) last time I was there 2 employees asked me if I needed ammo within 1-2 minutes of me standing there in front of case. The lady who worked in Automotive told me the Sporting Goods Dept. Manager was a Veteran and tries to keep ammo stocked well. But on the other hand all other Walmarts in town totally suck in the ammo/employee willing to help you department! If I lived closer to 21st I wouldn't even waste my time with Wally World though. Just my 2 cents.

+1000 on this!
    We grocery shop there every Friday and it's by far the best stocked Walmart around! I mean, what other Walmart is going to carry 7.62x39? I've never seen one!

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    I must be lucky, my walmart always has someone in ear shot and the prices for .45 auto arnt bad. I try to show the local guy love but Wal-marts hours of operation is a nice alternative.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    This brings up a bigger issue of how hard it is to buy ammo in Fort Wayne. Walmarts sell it for a good price if you can get the guy over there and explain the difference that the number on the box means, like explaining the 9mm box is not the same as the 45acp.

There really is no one else in fort wayne who sells ammo at a good price. The two guys in New Haven have jack for a selection, H&H might have it at a high price, and I don't even want to get started on how much Gander sucks. About the best option up here is Tomlinson's in Churubusco if you're on the west side of town. I wish 21st would get the Fort Wayne franchise store opened up and then we wouldn't have as much to complain about up here. (hint hint)

That is exactly the point I was trying to make. I would love to buy 1000 rounds of 9mm at a time and stock up, but simply can't afford that. I have to buy 1-2 boxes at a time. If 21st were in Fort Wayne already, problem solved. I strongly dislike Walmart in general. I only go there because my Dodge Ram gets 12mpg and 21st is 30-35 minutes away, Maysville Walmart is 5 minutes from my work. Jahred totally hooked me up on a Taurus 738TCP .380 a month ago and I bought my Glock 17 there, great great guys. I simply can't say enough good things about 21st. In Fort Wayne for 9mm ammo you got at best $13/box at Gander when they run there sales. Walmart (Maysville) has it for cheaper everyday (Federal Champion). When 21st gets to Fort Wayne I will exclusively buy ammo and guns there because I really can't stand Walmart and other gun dealers selection is limited/high priced. It's just that Fort Wayne totally blows right now for good ammo prices and overall good gun dealers. I know that will offend some people but it's just my opinion. 21st knows how to take care of customers and Fort Wayne is patiently waiting for them. And that as they say is my :twocents:

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    If there is no one at the ammo counter, I do not hesitate to use the phone there to call and ask them to send someone to help me. They've only gotten pi**y with me once. The other times, it's either momentary confusion or amusement when they realize a non-employee is calling on an internal line. Help is then forthcoming.
    i do this too....i was so mad when they changed the P.A. code :( when i used that i would get 3 managers within 2 min. it was great:D

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    GUYS IN FORT WAYNE,

You know I deliver right, seriously if you live in Fort Wayne I drive home every night. I have no problem meeting you guys in town to grab your ammo. I do this pretty often. Don't abuse the perk, but if you need something and can't drive down to the shop just ask and the worst thing I am going to say is, "You might have to bring the beer."

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    GUYS IN FORT WAYNE,

You know I deliver right, seriously if you live in Fort Wayne I drive home every night. I have no problem meeting you guys in town to grab your ammo. I do this pretty often. Don't abuse the perk, but if you need something and can't drive down to the shop just ask and the worst thing I am going to say is, "You might have to bring the beer."

Good to know, if I ever hit you up for this I would def make it worth your time. I still haven't met you in person tho. I've got the 5-year anniversary on my calendar, even marked it "EPIC". Hopefully I'll meet you there!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I used to work at Walmart many moons ago. I know the intercom code for the phones, so I page someone in my professional associate-sounding voice that a "Customer needs assistance in Sporting Goods... Customer needs assistance in sporting goods."

Works every time.

Last time I bought ammo at Walmart, I got home, opened it, and it was missing rounds and the ammo looks damaged (scratched). I took it back, they said they couldn't take ammo back.

I didn't leave without a new box of ammo, on them. Made them exchange it.

Edit: Hah, looks like you guys did this too. Didn't read :P

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Great ad. I have been doing the walmart thing and I have had to wait a few minutes. Meijer sucks even worse though so I will stick to walmart or my local gun shops.

Top Bottom