• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brdhntr37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Just wanted to drop in and see what everyone would recommend.

My girlfriend and her mom are looking to get their carry permits and are looking for something to carry. Typically, I think a pump shotgun is the best home-defense gun to have around, but they like to travel quite a bit by themselves. With this being said, a shotgun would just be too big to keep in a car. Looking for something light with relatively low recoil. I was thinking something in the area of sig, s&w? Ideas? Thanks

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Get them to a gun range with a good selection of rentals. Best if they make an informed decision for themselves.
    Most figure that a woman will prefer a smaller caliber for recoil purposes. My girlfriend carries a S&W 500 and a 450 Marlin for backup. Thinks i am a puss for carrying a 1911.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Get them to a gun range with a good selection of rentals. Best if they make an informed decision for themselves.
    Most figure that a woman will prefer a smaller caliber for recoil purposes. ...

^^This^^

My wife shot several types before deciding that she hated revolvers and liked the Bersa .380. She's actually wanting to move up to a 9mm within the next year. Don't assume that since she's a woman that she'll want a revolver. Personally, I won't give a LGS the time of day if the first thing they do is point my wife to the revolvers without asking for her preference.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    A revolver is hard to hit with and has low round capacity. But it has some advantages, not many.

If they can function the slide I would recommend a quality semi auto that fits them and they can hit with. My wife just got a Glock 19 and loves it, but she had a P3at for a back up.

brdhntr37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks. They really don't have a lot of experience, but I just wanted to get some ideas on what everyone else's experience was before they go out and shoot a hundred different guns. They are fairly small, so I was thinking something light in a 9mm or .380 range. Thanks for the advice

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    A revolver is hard to hit with........

Disagree with this. I can hit really good with my Redhawk 44 mag. Matter of fact, was out shooting clays with two friends a while back. I was operating the thrower and both my friends missed. I pulled my 44 and with one shot took the clay out of the sky. I know, it was a one in a million shot. But I did it and two people saw it.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Well...until about an hour ago, I would have recommended a revolver in 38 special. But my wife decided that she likes my Sig in .380 better. The LCP and TCP are so lite that they kick too hard for a lot of women. The Sig P238 is very pleasant to shoot. The revolver is very simple and I thought the best choice. But they have to like it. If you go with an auto, they need to really get to know it so they will be able to use it in an emergency.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    SIG p290RS, any of the Beretta pocket pistols are great, S&W Bodyguard, Ruger makes a few great ones. Just from personal exp this is what mine likes to shoot. Smaller frame decent caliber.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    A revolver is hard to hit with QUOTE]

I don't know that is really accurate.

Took my wife to Indy trading post and she fired a series of pistols. Her conclusion was a revolver. It is reliable and you don't have to pull the slide with two hands. Pull it from your purse and it's ready to shoot. Simple and deadly.

I suggest you let her shoot both.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Not to sound like a broken record every time this question comes up but lots of good advice here. Contents | Cornered Cat

My only issue with her is that she tends to wear high-waisted pants, so for younger women that wear hip-hugger types, the options to carry will more than likely be different.

I carry a 9mm S&W 3914 in a Remora Holster about 4-5 o'clock. So far so good, but I definitely think I want to move to a Theis holster that clips to my pants. I've noticed that things tend to shift if I bend over/down due to my wide hips and I find myself readjusting more than I'd like.

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    My wife tried many .40, a .38 revolver, and she decided on carrying her Walther P22...

I know a lot of people will say not enough stopping power, but she can put 10 shots in a fist sized group (head :P) in under 10 seconds at 10 yards. I'm ok with that.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    First rule is to have a gun. A .22 that she is comfortable with and can shoot is still better than trying to throw rocks that may not be available anyway.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Take her to a range let her try different gun and let her tell you what she like and can hit what she shoots at, if she cant hit what she is aiming at it is no good

Krainw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Not to sound like a broken record every time this question comes up but lots of good advice here. Contents | Cornered Cat

Love Cornered Cat! I carry a Kahr CM9. I would prefer a trigger that was a little lighter and not quite such a long pull. But I like the gun, and it isn't too hard to conceal. I shot a friend's CW9 and liked it's trigger better than mine or my husband's PM9. I agree that they should try several before they make their choices.

Momof6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Wayne County, IN
    Don't assume that since she's a woman that she'll want a revolver. Personally, I won't give a LGS the time of day if the first thing they do is point my wife to the revolvers without asking for her preference.

Definitely get them to the range and let them decide for themselves. While not small, even as a relatively new shooter I highly preferred the Ruger SR40. Don't just assume they want something smaller just because they're women. I found the gun I like, now I have to make some changes to be able to carry it.

Top Bottom