• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I would make an identical sign with my picture on it and put it in her yard.

At least around here, I bet that would go viral and she would wake up with 20 signs in her yard with pictures of people who carry.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    "Vandalism" in IC is equivalent to criminal mischief. It means you recklessly or intentionally damaged or defaced property.

"Deface" in the legal dictionary means to destruct or spoil.

I doubt placing a sign in someone's yard without their permission would fall under that as nothing was damaged.

They could cite them for littering (class C infraction), but how could they prove the people on the signs were the ones who left them on the property? The citation would never hold up unless a LEO witnessed it or they caught you on camera. And honestly, the statement would be awesome enough that I am willing to risk paying a small fine.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I think a criminal mischief charge is less likely to stick than a defamation charge against the woman for implying that this man is dangerous based on nothing more than him legally exercising his rights.

Edit: I should point out that neither of those are appropriate charges... I am just making a point that criminal mischief convictions are very unlikely.

Last edited:

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I am trying to find some case law to see if needing to place a yard sign in a trash bin is enough of an expense to consider placing it there destructive. I suppose TPing a house qualifies so MAYBE??? Although TPing a house does create a huge mess, not really comparable to a yard sign. I would like to seea definition of "deface" in the IC, but it isnt there.

Regardless, the sign having their picture on it sure wouldnt create a slam dunk case because that doesnt prove they put it there.

Top Bottom