• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    I guess I am an ammo snob. I have read that shooting steel case ammo out of your AR's is not a good thing to do. I don't know for a fact but this is what I have read on other forums. That the steel case ammo can break your extractor. Also that if you are going to shoot steel case, you should stick with it the day your out, and not mix brass and steel on the same trip or you can end up with one stuck in the chamber. Also Bushmaster at one time on their website said if you shoot Wolf ammo you will void your warranty on their rifles. I have only ever shot brass cased ammo out of any AR I have ever owned. :twocents:

+1. When I first started out with AR'S. That's kind of a common thing I heard was "stay away from steel case" So I always have. But, I do know a guy who feeds his bone stock double star cases of wolf with no problems.

BushmasterM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Monroeville
    It's not a Colt. My Colts eat everything I feed them! :D It was suppsed to be an LMT but I could never find this configuration listed anywhere. I did find a Bushmaster listed in this configuration and it has a keyhole stamped receiver. I got it cleaned and inspected, hopefully can shoot it next week.

Now I need to figure out a hammer follow problem on another AR.... :ugh:

Sorry about that, I misread one of your posts. Hopefully, you won't have any problems next week. Let me know about your hammer problem and Good luck. Talk to you later.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    i would say the problem is the ammo, but not because the ammo is bad. it is the tight tolerances of a match gun. some guns say .223 can still run 5.56. but match gun a usally so presice it is not recommend. like fireball said there is very little breach cut because it is a match barrel. less movement to put them in the same place everything time to have the best accuary. same reason no m4 feed ramps on match guns.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    like fireball said there is very little breach cut because it is a match barrel.

I said nothing of the sort.

Unless it is just the flash/angle of the camera - doesn't look like there is much of a chamber entrance bevel, if any.

Having a proper breech radius cut doesn't affect the accuracy potential of the chamber/barrel.

A barrel without a breech radius cut isn't an indication of a "match" barrel - more an indicator of shoddy workmanship and believed cost savings.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Different topic, same thread. COLT556, I'm not sure what your hammer problem is, but I know the first time I built a lower, I had the hammer sring on backwards. It is a common, and easy mistake too make, so I don't know if the AR in question is one that was built, but that is something to check. Just look at it compared to another lower.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    After looking at the chamber and cleaning everything up as best I could it's all back together. The chamber on this bbl does appear to be more of a 90 degree angle versus having a bevel. It definitely doesn't look like my Comp HB or other ARs. A friend will be shooting it tomorrow for me, I can't make it, and will be giving me a report. I think it will need to have the chamber mouth beveled, if that's what Fireball said, but we'll see. Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    What, are you busy tomorrow?

Oh wait I remember he's going early.

Yes Monkey Boy, he's leaving his house at 7am and only has a little time in the morning. For me to be there by 7 I'd have to leave my house at 6ish. I'll be up till then.... :draw:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I've never had any problems with Wolf ammo in any AR. Before I started handloading all of my ammo, I used Wolf almost exclusively.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've never had any problems with Wolf ammo in any AR. Before I started handloading all of my ammo, I used Wolf almost exclusively.

This is the 1st issue I've had with it and I've shot 1000s of rounds of it in several different rifles. I think the problem is the non beveled chamber like Fireball said and possibly a tight chamber to begin with. Hopefully it will be worked out soon.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    This is the 1st issue I've had with it and I've shot 1000s of rounds of it in several different rifles. I think the problem is the non beveled chamber like Fireball said and possibly a tight chamber to begin with. Hopefully it will be worked out soon.

Yeah that definitely makes sense. I think people hate on Wolf ammo just because it's cheap. I've never found anything wrong with it.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I ran some rounds through this upper this morning, no jambs with good ammo and it shot nice groups but I had a little problem with parallax on the scope I am sure it would shoot much nicer groups than this, seems to me just to tight of a chamber for lacquer wolf ammo
    picture.php

not very good pic

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That's good news. I'll stick to good brass cased ammo in this rifle. Now to figure out the hammer follow. Talked to the guy I bought the lower from and he said it was a Match Trigger set up from Stag. I'll bring another lower out so we can compare the two. Thanks for your help Allen!!

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I havent read all 4 pages of this thread well, and not to add more to the fire but what is teh extractor like? Is it new with a nice strong spring? 9x out of 10 if it was a stuck case the extractor would have ripped that rim right off. Also, what was your string of fire like? 4 rapid fire shots or was there a pause in between?

The reason I ask is you may have a few things going.

1) Match chamber = tight!
    2) Laquer on cases might have had enough time to cook in teh chamber getting the varnish to stick if your doing pauses in betwen shots.
    3) Tacky stuck case in chamber with a weak extractor just means teh extractor would come right off the rim.

Just some more fuel for the fire. Let us know how it turns out.

Top Bottom