• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I was shooting some Wolf 223 out of a 20" Extra Heavy bbl AR to see if the gun worked and after the 3rd or 4th shot go no worky! I'm hoping that it's related to a tight chamber. The bbl has no markings whatsoever on it so I had to guess 5.56/.223. I couldn't get the case out of the chamber in the field so I had to wait until I got home. The case was not bulged or anything but it did have a coulpe long scratches in the lacquer. I attributed those from the bolt riding over it in the magazine and then loading it into the chamber. Cleaned the rifle up pretty good and the chamber looks pristine.

IMG_9678.jpg

IMG_9677.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Unless it is just the flash/angle of the camera - doesn't look like there is much of a chamber entrance bevel, if any.

That is pretty much how it looks. I've only fired the 3-5 shots in it before this happened. It's a very nice upper and should work out ok, just not sure as to why it happend.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    if the barrel isnt stamped 5.56 it could very well be a 223 or 223 wylde chamber, was it cleaned well before shooting wolf in it?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    That is pretty much how it looks. I've only fired the 3-5 shots in it before this happened. It's a very nice upper and should work out ok, just not sure as to why it happend.

If you want the breech cut, knock the barrel off of it and let me know - it isn't much of a job.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I guess I am an ammo snob. I have read that shooting steel case ammo out of your AR's is not a good thing to do. I don't know for a fact but this is what I have read on other forums. That the steel case ammo can break your extractor. Also that if you are going to shoot steel case, you should stick with it the day your out, and not mix brass and steel on the same trip or you can end up with one stuck in the chamber. Also Bushmaster at one time on their website said if you shoot Wolf ammo you will void your warranty on their rifles. I have only ever shot brass cased ammo out of any AR I have ever owned. :twocents:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have a knights that the cases keep sticking in the chamber too.:dunno:

I once owned a Knights SR-15M4, that had to go back to them 3 times.
    It never was right.
    I have also read that the SR-25's have problems too, I would really be mad if I had spent that kind of money and had problems. It was enough to turn me off from ever buying any of their weapons. That's just me though. I have never had problems out of any other AR. Just theirs.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I had a dealer tell me, who actually sells quite a bit of it, that you need to really clean the rifle well, And that includes scrubbing the chamber very good. He also reccommends not shooting a lot of it all at one time.

He says the coating or like a varnish type stuff will begin to transfer to the chamber walls when it gets hot. THen as it cools the chamber is smaller and you get a case stuck in the chamber.
    Not sure but it makes sense.

BushmasterM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Monroeville
    I can't believe you had a problem after 3-5 rounds. I've heard of shooters having problems with lacquer coated cases getting stuck in the chamber due to the heat melting the lacquer and making it sticky. I like shooting Golden or Silver bear ammo, I stay away from brown bear due to the lacquer coating on the case. I've never been a fan of wolf ammo. You don't know unless you try it. Happy shooting!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The rifle was spotless, I had just put it together. I only fired 4-5 shots over a couple minutes so it couldn't have been too hot. I've shot Wold out of my Colts and Bushy w/o any trouble before. I know that if you shoot it in a hot chamber, say after a bump fire episode, that the lacquer finish can melt and fuse a round in the chamber. The bbl is a big fat extra heavy bbl but it has ZERO markings on it! This is the 2nd bbl in the last 2 weeks I've seen w/o any markings on it. I want to drop different rounds, .223/5.56, into the chamber to see if I could possibly tell how well they fit and also want to measure the twist.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I can't believe you had a problem after 3-5 rounds. I've heard of shooters having problems with lacquer coated cases getting stuck in the chamber due to the heat melting the lacquer and making it sticky. I like shooting Golden or Silver bear ammo, I stay away from brown bear due to the lacquer coating on the case. I've never been a fan of wolf ammo. You don't know unless you try it. Happy shooting!

There were 4 other INGO members there. One of them was to busy bump firing and getting us in trouble so he doesn't count, but it was really only around 5 shots. Wolf has never given me issues before. I have about 1000 rounds of it in ammo cans so I guess it just goes in my Colts.

BushmasterM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Monroeville
    Maybe that round that got stuck in your chamber wasn't sized correctly? I know you said in your 1st post that the case wasn't bulged, but you had 4 rounds function perfectly and then the 5th gets stuck? Something doesn't add up.:ar15:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Maybe that round that got stuck in your chamber wasn't sized correctly? I know you said in your 1st post that the case wasn't bulged, but you had 4 rounds function perfectly and then the 5th gets stuck? Something doesn't add up.:ar15:

The 1st one was fine and the others seemed to not want to chamber "easily". I wished I would have policed all the cases and paid more attention. I was sorta pizzed at the time...

BushmasterM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Monroeville
    The 1st one was fine and the others seemed to not want to chamber "easily". I wished I would have policed all the cases and paid more attention. I was sorta pizzed at the time...

Well, there could only be a few things to attribute to your problem. Ammo, chamber size, and weak extractor and/or extractor spring. I say check them all out and then go shooting once more to see if your problem still exists. I wouldn't think colts would be that finicky.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Well, there could only be a few things to attribute to your problem. Ammo, chamber size, and weak extractor and/or extractor spring. I say check them all out and then go shooting once more to see if your problem still exists. I wouldn't think colts would be that finicky.

It's not a Colt. My Colts eat everything I feed them! :D It was suppsed to be an LMT but I could never find this configuration listed anywhere. I did find a Bushmaster listed in this configuration and it has a keyhole stamped receiver. I got it cleaned and inspected, hopefully can shoot it next week.

Now I need to figure out a hammer follow problem on another AR.... :ugh:

Top Bottom