• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Que just hit the bigger point on the head.

If we (as the gun culture) do not police our own, SOMEONE else will police us.

Why is there not a safety area for jacking with guns at the shows? A table with sand bag backstops? Sand barrels? Why has this not been done?

There are safety areas with barrels of sand. There is one outside as patrons enter and one at the vendor door. NO ONE, INCLUDING OFF-DUTY LEOS ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE A LOADED GUN IN THE SHOW. The only loaded guns in the show are in the holsters of the on-duty, uniformed IMPD officers. The announcement was made beginning 20 minutes prior to opening and every three minutes thereafter, that all vendors were to unload and clear their guns, but still every show there is a ND. Couldn't the idiot have used a gun off of his table to show how to break down a Glock?! :rolleyes:

Now, when the cost for the vendors have to increase due to insurance companies demanding higher premiums, guess who's to blame? No, they won't have to ban gun shows, they can just make them too costly.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    His name was Will?
    Guess it could have been:):
    Why bash glocks,
    I'm not. I actually hace a 17 and love it. Shot it today with some Hornaday to make sure it liked it.
    It's not the Glock as such. It's just the type of person that prefers them is more prone to this type of mishap. :D
    Ouch. That stung a little. Would have been worse if all I owned were Glocks.:laugh:
    I will be going tomorrow and I am glad he won't be back. Even if his name is Will.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Perhaps he thought he was the only one in the room professional enough to handle a Glock fo-tay. :n00b:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If only we had a comprehensive federal licensing system for dealers who make their living selling firearms. That would clear the problem right up.

These words used together in a sentence makes me kind of nervous, but I get your point.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    It's obvious that the only solution is for everyone to get rid of their Glocks....

I'll drive around and you guys can throw them in the back of my truck and I'll properly destroy them....;)

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    If only we had a comprehensive federal licensing system for dealers who make their living selling firearms. That would clear the problem right up.
    First, I don't believe that for one minute. You can require all of the licensing and training that you want and someone will still screw it up on occasion. You can't legislate out carelessness and stupidity.

Besides that, not all "vendors" at the show are full time dealers that make their living selling guns. Some just do the occasional show and aren't FFLs either. Their just everyday people with some inventory to sell and enough money to rent a table.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I could be wrong...but can't the same darned thing happen with a vanilla XD? I specifically bought an XDm (it was my first gun) so that I wouldn't have to pull the trigger during take-down. Being a total gun-n00b, I really saw that as a great opportunity for me to shoot my eye out. I'm now to the point where I'd be fine either way...in over two years, I've not once missed one of the many clearance-steps I perform which could lead to an unsafe situation.

That said...anyone who has owned a pistol for 6 months has absolutely no excuse for such an "accident". It's bald incompetence.

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    I could be wrong...but can't the same darned thing happen with a vanilla XD? I specifically bought an XDm (it was my first gun) so that I wouldn't have to pull the trigger during take-down. Being a total gun-n00b, I really saw that as a great opportunity for me to shoot my eye out. I'm now to the point where I'd be fine either way...in over two years, I've not once missed one of the many clearance-steps I perform which could lead to an unsafe situation.

That said...anyone who has owned a pistol for 6 months has absolutely no excuse for such an "accident". It's bald incompetence.

I have an XD9 tactical, and on that gun you have to lock the slide back to flip the takedown switch, pretty much forcing you to clear the chamber after you take the mag out.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have an XD9 tactical, and on that gun you have to lock the slide back to flip the takedown switch, pretty much forcing you to clear the chamber after you take the mag out.

Yes, you are right on there. I am not a fan of having to pull a trigger on any gun to take it down but if you use the BASIC safety rules of owning a gun then it is a non issue. The fact that it was a dealer who sells guns to other people makes it even more pathetic!

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    HUNDREDS of exhibitors, dozens of metro's finest, various police agencies, sheriffs, marshalls, conservation officers etc, all armed to the teeth, but they make law abiding LTCH holders disarm themselves completely. I was there, The announcer said "It's always the exhibitors, never the patrons". When I asked the Fairgrounds Supt. about it, he said "it's an insurance requirement". Gee, I feel safer now, don't you?.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    I was there about 20' from where it happened. It just really pissed me off when it happened. I went over to where the incident happened about 20 mins later and i saw some guy at the booth where it happened, who looked like he just got out of biker prison, laughing and joking with people. That was it for me. I was outta there. Its jackasses like that who make it hard for the rest of us.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    First, I don't believe that for one minute. You can require all of the licensing and training that you want and someone will still screw it up on occasion. You can't legislate out carelessness and stupidity.

Besides that, not all "vendors" at the show are full time dealers that make their living selling guns. Some just do the occasional show and aren't FFLs either. Their just everyday people with some inventory to sell and enough money to rent a table.

I think the lack of purple font in the post you're responding to may have defeated your sarcasm detector on that one....

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Que just hit the bigger point on the head.

If we (as the gun culture) do not police our own, SOMEONE else will police us.

Why is there not a safety area for jacking with guns at the shows? A table with sand bag backstops? Sand barrels? Why has this not been done?
    Tell us again Kirk WHY we NEED proper back stops when loading and unloading weapons...... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom