• ...and so much more!
  • epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm not sure if the design of the small Keltec pistol has changed from the cock the hammer each time you pull design I have. I used to carry a Keltec 9mm that takes the S&W mags (1997/1998 vintage). I found it a reliable shooter, fairly accurate, if a little tougher to control than a large pistol.

I don't claim to be a KelTec historian, but I think you might have it confused with something else. KelTec has only made autos AFAIK and the only KT that i know of that takes S&W mag is the Sub 2000 rifle. Also the hammer on the PF-9, P32, and P3AT (and possibly the P-11) is completely shrouded by the slide and frame/grip.

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have never really liked Kel-Tec. I just cant get over the look of them. Not a fan of .45 either. I like 9mm and carry a Ruger LCP in .380 in my pocket. I do love my G19 though.

Heres my pocket Ruger LCP. They can be purchased for under $300.

RguerLCP.jpg

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I don't claim to be a KelTec historian, but I think you might have it confused with something else. KelTec has only made autos AFAIK and the only KT that i know of that takes S&W mag is the Sub 2000 rifle. Also the hammer on the PF-9, P32, and P3AT (and possibly the P-11) is completely shrouded by the slide and frame/grip.

I'm 100% sure it is a Kel-Tec. Looking at their site, it is a P-11. Quote from the site:

"Normally supplied with a 10-round double column all steel magazine, the P-11 will also accept standard S&W large capacity clips. To improve the handling with S&W magazines we recommend using our slip on magazine extension."

(Don't get me started about a weapon manufacturer misusing "clips", but anyway..) You disassemble with the back of a 9mm round. It is a DAO auto. Each time you pull the trigger, the hammer goes back, then strikes. The hammer is inside the slide. This hammer is "free floating" when not being fired, and can therefore allow for a kinetic energy (drop) primer firing, as I experienced. If the same hammer design is in other Kel-Tec pistols, this same problem exists.

All that being said, I think it is a decent pistol. I still have a pager pal holster that it will ride very well in and don't have any desire to part with mine. It has always shot reliably with the Federal JHP I fed it, although my hand hurt if I shot too much with it at the range. Much better than nothing, but I would prefer a better primary carry weapon.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm 100% sure it is a Kel-Tec. Looking at their site, it is a P-11. Quote from the site:

"Normally supplied with a 10-round double column all steel magazine, the P-11 will also accept standard S&W large capacity clips. To improve the handling with S&W magazines we recommend using our slip on magazine extension."

(Don't get me started about a weapon manufacturer misusing "clips", but anyway..) You disassemble with the back of a 9mm round. It is a DAO auto. Each time you pull the trigger, the hammer goes back, then strikes. The hammer is inside the slide. This hammer is "free floating" when not being fired, and can therefore allow for a kinetic energy (drop) primer firing, as I experienced. If the same hammer design is in other Kel-Tec pistols, this same problem exists.

All that being said, I think it is a decent pistol. I still have a pager pal holster that it will ride very well in and don't have any desire to part with mine. It has always shot reliably with the Federal JHP I fed it, although my hand hurt if I shot too much with it at the range. Much better than nothing, but I would prefer a better primary carry weapon.

Thank God I put a disclaimer in my post. I tend to be wrong every now and then. :D I have shot a P11 and was not really impressed with it. The P3AT while not being anything to write home about as far as shooting goes, its size is what makes all the difference. Really until the LCP came along, there was very little competition for its market.

BTW. I accidentally dropped my P3AT last night. :runaway: It didn't go off. It will teach me to empty my pockets before attemptng to take my pants off though. The problem with the P3AT is that it is sooo small and light, you can easily forget it is there. I lucked out when I went to get my pee test for my job. The guy told me to empty my pockets and I remembered that I had my KT on me. :ugh: I asked if I could go to my car and he asked why. I told him that I was legally liscensed to carry a firearm and that I had one on me. Luckily he was a gun owner as well and told me to just set it with my other stuff. Whew.

Top Bottom