• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    So how long is forever to soften up? & compares to what other brand does it take forever? I'm a n00b when it comes to these items. I've only eating twice the the chili from Mountain House able 10 years back & that tasted OK for me. Don't recall how long it took for the meal to sofen up however.

Also do the packs say what the nutrients value/info is? Does the website?

Jed,
    Boiling water, 8-9 minutes, and you're good to go. That's not really "waiting forever", but some people are less patient than i am.

You're on the right track, hit the website. The meals compare pretty close to mountain house, the individual meals, the 2-per packs, the bulk goods.

Recipe comparison shows that the calorie content, protien, fats, etc, are almost identical per serving, packaging even looks similiar.

They taste good, travel well, and cure what ails you every time. I wouldn't consider any of these a full time diet, as the sodium is going to kill you before starvation will, but they are great adder meals in a SHTF situation.

The 2-serve Mountain House are $4-6 at wally world, no shipping, and you can pick your own menu.

Hope that helped. See you in the woods.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Jed,
    Boiling water, 8-9 minutes, and you're good to go. That's not really "waiting forever", but some people are less patient than i am.

yeah, if you like semi crunchy food or on the go, then sure 10 minutes will make it edible. if you want you food soft like regular food then your looking at 15 to more like 20 minutes and then its cold, lol.

I can eat anything, but some people might not want too.

Whatever people choose as their main meal, just have something else also to supliment it. like rice or beans. something filling and also nutritional that stretches your meals. 50 pounds of rice and beans per person in you household is a decent start.

Im not against wise foods, but just be totaly informed before you think its the solve all solution and that your just gonna get by for 3 months only eating their recomended portion sizes, because you wont if your active (gathering, building, running, evading, farming, fighting, etc). If you just are gonna eat it and sit on your butt in a bunker then you will be fine.

edit: also, even not getting enough nutrients for 2 weeks will seriously put you down. you cant use more than you put in without causing your body to destroy itself. if your gonna go with ONLY wise or mountain house even, then you better eat double the offered serving size, or suppliment with something else in your meals if you are gonna be active. figure out calorie usage and intake and stick to it.

I wouldnt want anyone getting hungry because they didnt prepare right due to lack of research, and then have to shoot them for trying to take mine, lol.
    water and food storage, (mobility, stationary, caches) is the 2 most important SHTF preps besides security in my opinion. When I say security im not even meaning an ammo cache. Im meaning reliable safe shelter from the event and looters, etc. one gun with a hundred rounds is sufficient to start with a firearm. If you have food and no one else does, then there are ways to barter and get all the weapons you want later. food and water in a disaster will be the single most valuable and desired resources. its not a fun process starving to death. focus on your food and water more, and make sure you store them properly. also a good rule of thumb is to EXPECT 1/3 of your food and water to be either damaged, destroyed, stolen, etc. There is a lot of RELIABLE info out there. start planning ahead now and stocking up. I dont think its gonna be too long before your gonna need it.Make sure you use FIFO (first in first out). its a technique used by all food service operations (required by the health department) to make sure you rotate out older product first and use it before it expires. If your not organized with anything else, then you better get organized when it comes to doing proper inventory and FIFO on your food reserves, and proper rationing.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks all for the info. Might look into added a few. They appear to be a good deal for smaller emergencies (days to 2 weeks no power). I'm not thinking of SHTF (months of no civilization) type of planning rigth now.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Thanks all for the info. Might look into added a few. They appear to be a good deal for smaller emergencies (days to 2 weeks no power). I'm not thinking of SHTF (months of no civilization) type of planning rigth now.

Canning. Not mobile, but years of nutritional food, can't be beat for cost either.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I just ordered 2 of the Wise 84-count buckets. I'll have these to add a little diversity and of course it'll make my food stores last longer. I have a pretty big stash of nonperishable food and this is just one more addition it.

Geri @ Cope's

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Ohio
    There have been a lot of Natural Disasters lately...

I just wanted to let you all know that the Wise Food products have been a great help to some of the people who thought they were stocking up mainly for SHTF. I hear all of the time "I'm so glad we had these on hand".
    Wise has changed some of the contents so that there is a little more variety. And The very best part of all...almost a year later and the prices are still the same. :rockwoot:

We also have the Honeyville Product line now too.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I need to stash a few more of these.
    Maybe Cope's will have some of these at Knob creek??

BTW what happened to E5RANGER375? I haven't seen him around here in months.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I need to stash a few more of these.
    Maybe Cope's will have some of these at Knob creek??

BTW what happened to E5RANGER375? I haven't seen him around here in months.

E5RANGER375 is wearing the tag of "shooter" = banned.
    I'm not sure if he got a permanent ban or just a time out (few days, weeks or months). I can't recall the thread but he posted some "no-no" comments on a thread was warned posted some more "no-no"s & hello "shooter" status.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    He is highly opinionated and says what he thinks.
    He doesn't like Wise foodstuffs either LOL.
    And I figure he knows what he's talking about.
    Still I intend to pick up some more Wise products just to diversify my stash as much as I can.
    I haven't actually eaten any of the Wise stuff yet. I should give it a try soon.
    As E5 said, not only does it require water, but it lacks the nutrition of other foods. So that being the case I'll not be stocking a mass of it as a main component of my stash.

Last edited:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have heard good things about Wise compared to the taste and value in other brands. They will be added to my stuff in the future for their ease of use for sure.

Geri @ Cope's

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Ohio
    More variety now for those who plan ahead...

Yes, they will have some Wise Food products with them at Knob Creek. Also, There are other options for long term storage foods on the site now for those of you who wish to prepare but did not care for the Wise or would like a little more variety to your stash. ;)

Top Bottom