• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    I got my sample the other day and tasted it (lasagna -- yum, right?). It was...it was pretty bad...scratch that, it was awful. I literally couldn't see eating this in any long-term survival situation. I'm curious about the Mountain Houses and the other brands out there. I wish they had free samples before I go dumping money into them.

And FYI, I'm by and large (heh large, cuz I'm fat) not a picky eater (cuz I'm fat), so when I say they sucked I truly mean it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I got my sample the other day and tasted it (lasagna -- yum, right?). It was...it was pretty bad...scratch that, it was awful. I literally couldn't see eating this in any long-term survival situation. I'm curious about the Mountain Houses and the other brands out there. I wish they had free samples before I go dumping money into them.

And FYI, I'm by and large (heh large, cuz I'm fat) not a picky eater (cuz I'm fat), so when I say they sucked I truly mean it.
    Mountain House doesn't have free samples but individual packs are available at a reasonable cost at most camping supply stores, (even Wally World). Buy a couple and try them. I've eaten MT. House before and it's always been pretty good.

Last edited:

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle

Get one from walmart. I also have like 5 extra packs if you want to try them. I would give you a deal. I think I have scrambled eggs and ham, a ice cream sandwich, chicken teriyaki and chili mac. Ill double check if you are interested.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Do not eat the MH chili mac. It causes deadly intestinal gas attacks! If you're in a tent you will probably puke your guts out, too. Been there done that! LOL.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    Do not eat the MH chili mac. It causes deadly intestinal gas attacks! If you're in a tent you will probably puke your guts out, too. Been there done that! LOL.

I have not tried that one. Thanks for the update. I have only eaten the eggs, and the teryiaki. Chili mac seems popular so I got some. Good to know.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I asked Mike Sanfrosky (SP) about their 25 years claims and the Oregon University study. He hasn't replied in one week.

I was actually going to post a question about this study - good thing I read all the posts before doing so :) I look forward to hearing their answer to your question - assuming you get one.

IIRC, didn't Mykel "Go Hot!" Hawke and his hot-but-stupid wife endorse Wise Food? That'd be reason enough for me to buy Mountain House right there.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    They emailed me instead of calling (probably because I didn't give them my real phone number) and they said the free sample is in the mail. The prices looked very high in comparison to other long term dry foods out there, but I'm willing to give it a try.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've had Mountain House, Saratoga Farms, and Wise, and I thought the Wise food tasted like crap. The Mountain House and Saratoga Farms were pretty good. I know there's a ton of different foods, and I only compared a couple of types, so take that for what it is worth.

I went with Mountain House for my primary stores.
    Nice to have an opinion of the comparisons. I just got a sample pack of six (2 each of 3 things) and a friend of ours is getting comparable "dishes" in another brand in the same amount (maybe Mountain House, I think). We're gonna divide it in half and swap, so we can each try comparisons of both brands side by side without having to spend a ton of money and get stuck with things we may not like.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    when I submitted it I got a phone call in less than 5 minutes. Food was there in a couple of business days. They told me to expect a follow up phone call. I almost feel bad that I just ordered 6 cans from mountain house because of their 50% off sale.

Top Bottom