Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    This /

I had it done in late H.S.

Bada bing, slept through it.
    Woke me up and I stumbled out to a waiting car.

:yesway:

I highly recommend being gassed, I have a anxiety problem due to a dentist abusing me when I was 8 years old. Just for me to get cleanings I need to have a Valium or equivalent to get me through it without stressing out.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    One of mine broke, and had a sharp edge that was scraping against my jaw, the tooth didn't hurt mind you, but it was killing my jaw, so I took a small file and sorta de-burred the broken tooth. Several months later, it absessed or whatever, and the pain was the closest thing to un bearable that I have ever felt. When I went to have it pulled, the oral surgeon came in and looked at it and said "AHH, home dentistry huh"? I have never been in such pain, and then had it go away so quickly after he popped it out, and I hope I never experience anything like that again.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I only had 3 wisdom teeth and 2 were impacted. I had it done while awake. Took 2 valium an hour before getting to the office and then got 7-10 shots. Took under an hour even with the 2 impacted and the pain wasn't bad at all. I was out eating Mexican food and drinking 2 nights after. Was much less of an ordeal than a molar that was cracked in a bar fight. That killed for about 5 hours after having it pulled. Wisdom teeth are NOTHING even while awake. Saw someone say they had 3 refills on pain meds, I think I got 15 Vicodin and no refills. Had more when I got my molar pulled.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just a note to anyone who's reading this who hasn't had theirs out yet...

A sure-fire way to get them removed for free:

Join the armed forces! They'll yank 'em for you for the low-low cost of nothing! And you'll like it, ya Nancy!

Also for those contemplating the work: If it's anything more complicated than a simple extraction, think very very very seriously about getting a referral to an oral surgeon.

Extractions, your regular Dentist can handle, usually without any problems. Impactions, cutting, sawing, breaking, etc etc etc.... Much better to be treated by a DDS than a DDM.

I'm relatively thankful that my dentist is a pretty stout guy. Even he had to work a bit to get mine out. If my dentist was a "petite person (of either gender)", I don't think it'd have been as easy on me.

I was shown the 4 teef as they were on a tray to head to the waste bin. Wish now that I'd have kept them. They were all still in 1 piece and looked rather cartoonish!

-J-

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I wanted to keep mine but only 1 was still in 1 piece. They told me since they had to break the other 2 that they were considered bio-hazards. The molar that got yanked, they wouldn't let me keep it even though I had a job where I probably had more contact with bio-hazards from surgical procedures than most of the people in the office combined. Nothing like cleaning bits of bone, flesh, muscle, and hair from surgical tools after a hospital supposedly cleaned them before sending the rentals back.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I had one pulled in my late teens. It was my bottom left, if I remember correctly. The dentist tried to remove it, but it would not numb, because it was infected. I had to go to an oral surgeon. It was a quick in and out. The only thing that sucked, was keeping gauze in my mouth. On the bright side they gave me good drugs for home :D.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    I think I had the worst combination of local anesthesia, having to cut the lowers out and being able to hear the saw/grinder. BRING AN IPOD/CD PLAYER!!! It'll help to drown out the noise of the work being done and keep more mellow. I tensed up so much more on the lowers that it took 4 hours. Good luck either way, and make sure to get some video after you come off the drugs!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQD2y-ZL8s0

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    WTF did he/she do?

(Just ignore the question if you don't want to answer)

Well I had a rather bad cavity that needed a filling put in and to make a long story short, the dentist did not numb the nerve enough and in his anger he proceeded to drill a little more for effect then in the middle of he he finally decided to numb me some more, but it was him pretending that I was a pin cushion and he nailed me like 15-17 times.

My mom was yelling at him and he was ignoring her, my Grandpa (WWII army vet) kicked the door open because it was locked and from what I can remember cleaned his clock.

So I really have a mental problem when I go to the dentist and it took me forever to find one that kept me comfortable and at ease. I still tense up so much that one time I almost ripped off the armrest during a cleaning when the assistant didn't know to take it easy on me.:laugh:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    That unicorn thing was umm...yeah. All I remember from after my surgery was being a little sore and being annoyed by the gauze. Maybe I've just had a lot more exposure to medications.

Even if you HATE dentists getting them out while you're awake isn't bad at all. Worst part is the shots. You feel warm liquid flowing when they make the cuts and you feel tugs. If they have to break a tooth up, you feel more pressure but it isn't bad. The sounds are the worst part of it.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Are they crooked? Impacted?

Mine were in "normal". I had all 4 pulled, under local anesthetic only, in 28 minutes.

Further clarification: that was 28 minutes from the time I first sat in the chair until I was swiping my CC for the co-pay.

No pain afterwords, either. Was eating semi-solid food that night and the next day (mac & cheese, et al) and solid food the evening of the day after.

If they're simple extractions, you've not got much to worry about!

-J-

That's exactly how mine came in. However, I had pain for about 2 weeks, and massive bleeding. The surgeon damn near broke my cheekbone getting the last one out too :): Local only, and it was about 30 minutes total. Not too bad at all.

redbaron

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Elberfeld
    Are you having them pulled or surgically removed? There's a big difference between the two. I assume pulled since you said they prefer local.

I've had two pulled. One when I was 30 and another this year at 35. Neither one was any problem. No excessive bleed or dry sockets. Was eating solid foods the next day. Just following their instructions they give you when you leave and you'll be golden!!

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    have someone drive you, and opt for the "knock my butt out" method. It costs a smidge more but well worth it.
    Great advise. I had all 4 of mine taken out when I was 39. I have a very bad gag reflex. I almost puke when my dentist takes X rays of my teeth. The plastic thing they put in the back of your mouth really tears me up. My dentist knows this and he recommend I be put out from my wisdom teeth removal. My wife drove me to the office. I was put out and woke up 30 minutes later and never knew what took place except for the packing in the holes where my teeth were. I never had much pain, but was prescribed lortabs in case. I think I took a couple. and that was it. The stitches he used desolved in a few days. It does take some time getting used to not having teeth back there. I did have to use a squirt bottle with water to flush the food that get stuck in the holes where the teeth were for about a week. The holes finally grew shut.
    Another good thing is to gargle with salt water afterwards it helped a buch.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    I had one removed because of a cavity,top right at the age of 38,gas and a local. really no pain involved,but my dentist is the greatest. The only problem he had was twisting it out do to the back root having a hook on it. The biggest pain in the butt was keeping stuff, food out of the hole it left.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Good luck! I had all four of mine extracted by an oral surgeon a couple of years ago. Since I was knocked out, I don't remember much. After, though, was not fun. I discovered that I'm allergic to penicillan the next day. That was fun. Puking repeatedly after oral surgery - yeah, just bad. And then the numbness wouldn't go away. My entire right bottom quadrant of my face was numb. A lot of it got better quickly, but I still can't feel one section of my bottom lip and likely never will. :xmad:

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Had all four of mine cut,chisled,busted out when 19 sounded like a jack hammer, dentist would cut then drill tooth screw a t handle dohicke in hole break a chunk off drill another hole.... had his knee on my chest, forearm on my head, if that wasnt bad enough my roomate stole my painkillers, kicked the sob out the next day.

Top Bottom