• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Made it over 40 years but it looks like two of my wisdom teeth (bottoms) have to come out. I am not looking forward to this at all.

I was told 10 years ago or so, when I thought they might need to be yanked, that due to sleep apnea, they would prefer to use a local only. :rolleyes:

Anyone have theirs out late(r) in life? On the bright side I figure it will be good for 5-7 pounds lost due to not eating for a few days and we added Dental Ins at work this year. Yippee.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I had two out at age 17 and the other 2 out at age 25. It wasn't bad, dental technology has really improved since then even, and in spite of the fact both sets of mine were impacted, the recovery was reasonably quick and the worst pain I had was the first set when they burned my cheek with something during the surgery, that throbbed for a few days. The second set recovery was fast.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Are they crooked? Impacted?

Mine were in "normal". I had all 4 pulled, under local anesthetic only, in 28 minutes.

Further clarification: that was 28 minutes from the time I first sat in the chair until I was swiping my CC for the co-pay.

No pain afterwords, either. Was eating semi-solid food that night and the next day (mac & cheese, et al) and solid food the evening of the day after.

If they're simple extractions, you've not got much to worry about!

-J-

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Shouldn't be too bad. All of mine are gone now but had a great oral surgeon. Wham, Bam & out the door. If you have never had a tooth pulled the aftermath may be a bit much the first time but it really isn't that horrible.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Had three of mine taken out at once about 10 years ago(40 now). Piece of cake. Watch out for dry sockets, they say they can be extremely painful. I had all three go dry and took Advil and didnt think it was that bad, but I hear that is not normal, it just didn't bother me much. Good luck.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My sister had all 4 pulled at the same time, and no real issues afterward. She was in her late 20's.

My wife had 2 pulled, under general anesthetic, also in her late 20's. She was in bed for a few days, bruised and swollen. She couldn't eat solids for a week, and had "dry sockets" for a long time after. Of course, her's were impacted, and had to be drilled and chiseled out. :eek:

I still have mine! I guess I'm wise or something, I dunno....

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    have someone drive you, and opt for the "knock my butt out" method. It costs a smidge more but well worth it.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I had all 4 pulled at 25 with just a local. It wasn't bad at all. The sound of them ripping out is worse than any pain that you'll feel. I hate going under for anything.

Good Luck! Salt water is your friend afterwards

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Made it over 40 years but it looks like two of my wisdom teeth (bottoms) have to come out. I am not looking forward to this at all.

I was told 10 years ago or so, when I thought they might need to be yanked, that due to sleep apnea, they would prefer to use a local only. :rolleyes:

Anyone have theirs out late(r) in life? On the bright side I figure it will be good for 5-7 pounds lost due to not eating for a few days and we added Dental Ins at work this year. Yippee.

I got mine pulled when I was in college and still on my parent's insurance...I'd probably still have them(and problem free) if I didn't get them taken out, but I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I decided to stay awake for the whole thing. BIG mistake.

It didn't hurt, but the sound of my teeth cracking still haunts me.

I got hydrocodone and 3 refills and never took a single one of them.

My best advice for you is to stretch out your jaw as much as possible before going in...The incisions don't hurt, but getting your jaw stretched open for a couple of hours is PAINFUL for several days afterwards.

lane440

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    whiteland
    had bottom ones out 30 pulled at IUPUI very deep roots, dentists was literaly sweating they had to break them in two with a chisel . 5 years later tops came in , back to IUPUI they were a breeze compaired to the bottoms.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Had all four of mine out in HS, easy extraction, and I wouldn't recommend the local. I don't even like being awake for a cavity being filled.

My husband had his out at 23-ish. The oral surgeon sent a letter to the referring dentist thanking him for the faith in his (surgeon's) ability to do the job. Apparently they were a mess.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Had all 4 taken out in nov, the top 2 were a breeze pulled right out. The 2 bottoms on the other hand had to be cut out. I opted to be knocked out which was the only way to go in my opinion. The worst pain to me was the jaw being so stiff afterwards it took a few days before I could actually open it all the way without pain. I did have a little bit of nerve damage on my lower rightside that took a few weeks to heal. For the most part I'm glad it's over with.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    By the time I had mine done they were in bad shape. They were impacted rather badly. Had all 4 wisdom teeth plus one additional molar (it was cracked from the wisdom tooth pushing on it) removed all at once with just a local. I was in my late 20's. They had to do what they called a "flap" in my gum for one of them so they could dig it out. I must have had a decent dentist because I don't remember it being that bad. I was healed up well enough to eat normally in about a week.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm 48, I was told when I was 16 that if I didn't get my wisdom teeth removed by the time I was 19 that I would be in for some big time pain because my mouth was not big enough to support them.

Well fast forward to the age of 35, had to have the first on removed because of it cracking, second one was removed when I was 37 (same thing).

So now I'm looking at getting the last 2 out sometime withing the next 2-3 months because of the same issues, just not feasible to do repair work on a wisdom tooth.
    Don't know yet if they can be removed via the normal process or surgically removed.

Don't think I'll have a problem either way because both prior went smoothly pain and healing wise.

Top Bottom