• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    OK, telephone experts, I have some questions for you!

I have several phone jacks (all functioning) in my house and they are just fine. I'd like to add a new jack in a more convenient location, however.

I've seen the YouTube videos on how to hook up the jack by matching the colors, etc. but my question is, can I simply splice another length of telephone cord onto an existing, working cord and go from there?

So, I'm envisioning the functioning cord that runs from the box outside the house, under the floor of my house (through an unfinished basement...) to phone jack A, cutting that and patching a new cable into it, and running that new length of cord to the new jack.

Is that how it's done or am I being too optimistic.

Note this isn't for a "new" line (new number) just wanting to add a new jack to an existing phone line.

Thanks!

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    You could do it that way, yes. I'm not a fan of splicing in, though. I'm guessing you've got a box with a bunch of phone wires where ever the main phone line comes into the house, right? Why not make the straight run from that box to the new jack?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    You can do that, and yes it will "work" but you are creating a potential head ache, My dad would say "If something is worth doing, its worth doing right."

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've added several phone jacks over the years. I usually go off of an exiting jack. Only once have I cut a known, good wire and spliced in. In that case, I used a junction block so everything would stay nice and neat.

Just match the colors.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    In a former life I was a telecommunications technician and got my first job in the field because I could solder :)

Yes, you can splice it in, but over time corrosion or poor connections will manifest themselves in unusual ways not readily traceable. The best option is a new run from the point of service. The next best option is a junction box. They are cheap and readily available, no big deal. And yes, it really is as simple as matching the colors. Even if you reverse tip and ring it'll still work unless you are putting in a PBX or similar equipment.

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    What noon else has told you is that you need to take caution when you cut the wire. They not to cut all the wires at once, if you do you can potentially cause a short in your system. Sometimes it requires a service call from the phone company. Just be careful.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    You could do it that way, yes. I'm not a fan of splicing in, though. I'm guessing you've got a box with a bunch of phone wires where ever the main phone line comes into the house, right? Why not make the straight run from that box to the new jack?

Of all the good ideas, I am leaning towards this one so far.

From the phone company box on the side of my house, I found the following tangle of incoming wires in the basement:

picture.php

Looks like these were all spliced to hell and additional wires connected and run to the existing jack locations throughout the house. Since there are some "open" pairs (green/red, black/yellow) available I assume I can connect a new cord to those, then run that baby to my new location and wire my jack up as needed.

Just don't call when I'm doing it, ok? ;)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'd bet those un-used pairs are for a second line, and aren't connected to anything on the other end. Most phone cables have 8 wires (4 pairs) for 2 phone lines.

You have a little static on your line, don't ya'? Might was well clean up that rat's nest while you are adding to it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Only 2 wires are used per line. The primary ones are the green and red (tip and ring). The yellow and black can have a second line run on them.

That is an ugly rat's next of wiring. While you are redoing it you might consider putting in a block, it'll make future wiring much simpler and will make everything more reliable.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I'd bet those un-used pairs are for a second line, and aren't connected to anything on the other end. Most phone cables have 8 wires (4 pairs) for 2 phone lines.

You have a little static on your line, don't ya'? Might was well clean up that rat's nest while you are adding to it.

Oh, my lines are fine, it's just that everyone I talk to has issues with theirs.

When you say "junction box" all I can think of it Petticoat Junction...got a link with a picture of one or how it works?

What kinda box are you guys talking about? Got a link?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Of all the good ideas, I am leaning towards this one so far.

From the phone company box on the side of my house, I found the following tangle of incoming wires in the basement:

picture.php

Looks like these were all spliced to hell and additional wires connected and run to the existing jack locations throughout the house. Since there are some "open" pairs (green/red, black/yellow) available I assume I can connect a new cord to those, then run that baby to my new location and wire my jack up as needed.

Just don't call when I'm doing it, ok? ;)
    lol, 4 scotchloks, that's nothing.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    You guys are all hard core.

I'm just a dude with a dream of another jack on the opposite side of the doorway! :D

I was going to connect the wires in my previous picture to this:

picture.php

Top Bottom