• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I'm looking at routers and can't decide what to get. Wireless N and gigabit ethernet aren't necessary.

What do you have that works well?

I haven't had much luck with Netgear and my laptop, so I'd like to avoid them. I've looked at a Linksys WRT54GL because of its reputation and 3rd party firmware capabilities. I'll have a desktop and xbox 360 wired, with roughly 4 wireless devices at any given time. I would like spend less than $120.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Wow, I was going to recommend my netgear as I clicked on this topic... I can say the cisco routers sucks as you have to manually configure each device. PIA!

Sorry to hear your netgear isn't doing it for you.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I can say the cisco routers sucks as you have to manually configure each device. PIA!

The commercial Cisco Aironets are the bee's knees. You can do some cool stuff with those. Unfortunately, one of those things includes paying about a thousand bucks for one.

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    Linksys (By Cisco) Wireless N Router, WRT120N, it is 65 bucks at Wallyworld. I am sure you will be completely satisified with it. I run two computers wired and wirelss we run a laptop, Wii, and cellphone constantly without a problem. (Getting around 20mps download with comcast).

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Wow, I was going to recommend my netgear as I clicked on this topic... I can say the cisco routers sucks as you have to manually configure each device. PIA!

Sorry to hear your netgear isn't doing it for you.
    I think my NIC doesn't like them, or vise versa.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I'm looking at routers and can't decide what to get. Wireless N and gigabit ethernet aren't necessary.

What do you have that works well?

I haven't had much luck with Netgear and my laptop, so I'd like to avoid them. I've looked at a Linksys WRT54GL because of its reputation and 3rd party firmware capabilities. I'll have a desktop and xbox 360 wired, with roughly 4 wireless devices at any given time. I would like spend less than $120.

+1 on the WRT54GL. Replace the firmware with DD-WRT and it's the best router I've ever personally used.

www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've looked at a Linksys WRT54GL because of its reputation and 3rd party firmware capabilities. I'll have a desktop and xbox 360 wired, with roughly 4 wireless devices at any given time. I would like spend less than $120.
    This is what I have and I am very happy with it. I actually have 2 of them, I loaded the 3rd party firmware on one of them, added a heatsink to the transmitter and put a fan in the top, then I boosted the output so I can get a signal out in the garage or driveway. I haven't had a single issue yet, and I believe the older of the 2 is going on 5 years now.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Wow first wireless drills and saws now wireless routers. I wonder how long it will be before we have wireless extension cords?

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    another question about routers:
    whats a good way to increase the wifi signal in my house? The lynksys is in the basement near the cable modem. There are parts of the house where the signal is quite weak. I know i could move the router from the basement into the main level,but dont relish a cable running all the way across the drop ceiling in the basement up to a spot on the main level. Maybe thats the simplest,cheapest solution. Ideas?

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    Wow first wireless drills and saws now wireless routers. I wonder how long it will be before we have wireless extension cords?

Thats sorta what Tesla had in mind,wasnt it? Sending AC power through the air;what a concept!

Top Bottom