• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I was down in the old man's territory tonight. He has a small winery just east of my house where he and my cousin make homemade wine. They are normally most active from August to October but tonight they had bottled up some strawberry wine left over from last year. They caught me as I was taking out the trash and I was "forced" to go in and do some sampling. I took a few pictures of his setup to share with the preppers on INGO.

The stairway down to the fermentation room is decorated with old brewing equipment including an old wine barrel and part of a still.

rh27uq.jpg

Part of the decorations in the entryway are medals that he won in the state fair:

i5yw6d.jpg

There is a small lab area for testing samples and making records.

4h8p4p.jpg

There is a protable pump and hand worked corker for bottling.

29vi35i.jpg

Most of the carboys are empty this time of year but some of the ones with red wine are still working.

9767vd.jpg

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Very cool! I just picked up a 16 liter Italian demijohn at a garage sale Saturday. (hand blown blue/green glass, with the cane type basket) Hope to put it to use in the near future.

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana
    There are bunch of good resources for brewing / wine making on the internet.

I'm not an expert but if someone has questions I'll do my best to answer.

Northern Brewer is a good place for supplies. They have good prices and fair shipping.

There is a good store in Elkhart. But between the shipping cost and sales tax it's cheaper for me to order from out of state.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've never done any wine but I have home-brewed some very good tasting beer. I haven't been to the shop in Elkhart but there was one in Ft. Wayne I checked out, prices were pretty good.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I don't know much about wine making, but if you need any info in wine drinking, count me in!

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Im just getting into wine making. Been brewing my own beer for awhile now. Its nice to drink the beer you want and cost almost nothing, plus if S ever HTF you can use what you have made to trade for stuff or just get drunk :)

arma73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Morgan Co.
    Just started into the wine making my self, It sounds easy but there is a lot of science involved to get a good tasting wine. It's defiantly rewarding to get to have a good finished product.

cburnworth

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    i started making beer with the beer machine, it cost me $100. was making my second batch when i dropped it transferring it to the fridge. one mini-keg trashed with 2.5 gallons of beer in the carpet. the house smelled really good for several days. I just purchased an actual brew kit, with 2 cases of bottles & a capper for $200 & a mix for about $40. I have it sitting in the sink fermenting, it has been about 3 days. I wish it would hurry along. I will be trying to make some wine down the road.

Top Bottom