• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I'm all for a new OS, if that OS made since. Like others have said, its really made for touchscreens. And I wouldn't mind it if the Metro UI was the only UI, but its not. Its like 2 OS's taped together. Sometimes it forces you into the classic desktop view, and sometimes into Metro.

I upgraded my 3 year old Netbook with Windows 8, and since my screen isn't a touch screen, its still kind of hard to navigate Metro.

I really don't like that they assume touch screen is the way to go for all computing. My main desktop DOES NOT need to be touchscreen. Plus, I wouldn't be able to reach the screen comfortably if it was.

I was excited for Windows 8, but after an hour of use, I would rate this as my least favorite OS so far. I actually didn't mind Vista. I had no problems with it. But Windows 7 just gets stuff done without any extra steps.

I'm for change, but only when it makes sense. This doesn't really do that.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I got a Core i5 laptop with Windows 8 on it 2 weeks ago.

At first I was frustrated with the new UI overlay that is tablet like. I don't have a touch screen and I don't want one. I found two free programs and some tips online to disable the launching of the new apps, restore a start menu, and how to launch the traditional programs to view and edit files, this made Win 8 just like the Vista and XP I remembered.

Now I don't mind Win 8 at all.

Except mine is 64 bit and my OLD Win 98 era programs and that I still use don't always work, but that's a hardware issue, not a software problem.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Here's a thought, It don't matter, Things Change, if you hold onto an old system its just going to make the transition in the future harder, Come on guys/gals DOS was a good OS but its gone,

For the few who really want to fight the flow you can go back to Unix or a few others out there but if your going to get a job or go to Best buy and buy a PC your going to have to step up The market Drives the PC/APPLICATION market and sad to say one of the control groups they give a lot of attention to is Teen to early 20's Japanese Females, (really)

Our technology is somewhat out of our hands, We just have to be smart and flexible enough to go with it.

If you hold back to Win7 or win XP or Dos your going to get burnt sooner or later,

I don't always like the change and for years I fought all sorts of PC changes by building my own PC's , Ect. But in the end the River of change swept me away.

I'm not saying be the first one out there so you find all the problems and then get soured on a "thing" just watch the market and when the swell of change hits be ready and ride along,

Were talking technology its not something your going to hand down to your grandkids.

There My 2 cents

I disagree. FWIW, I've been in IT for 26+ years. Since DOS 3.0. By your logic we should have embraced the piece of crap they called Windows ME. And then Vista (not to mention Windows 1.0 and 2.0). Not everything that comes out of Redmond is a winner. Life is too short to deal with a crappy OS. It's that simple. Windows7 still works. And works well. For that matter, so does XP, although it IS getting a little long in the tooth. Micro$oft has ALWAYS been behind the curve when it comes to technology having constantly played catch-up. Windows8 is no exception. If you have a tablet (OR, I guess, if you are a 20 year old Japanese teen gurl), go for it. Otherwise, PASS! So that's MY 2¢...

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I disagree. FWIW, I've been in IT for 26+ years. Since DOS 3.0. By your logic we should have embraced the piece of crap they called Windows ME. And then Vista (not to mention Windows 1.0 and 2.0). Not everything that comes out of Redmond is a winner. Life is too short to deal with a crappy OS. It's that simple. Windows7 still works. And works well. For that matter, so does XP, although it IS getting a little long in the tooth. Micro$oft has ALWAYS been behind the curve when it comes to technology having constantly played catch-up. Windows8 is no exception. If you have a tablet (OR, I guess, if you are a 20 year old Japanese teen gurl), go for it. Otherwise, PASS! So that's MY 2¢...
    WinME didn't work. Vista was a change and wanted a lot of extra computing power, but it worked. 7 works well. 8 works too, but again is different, people don't like different. 8 cannot be compared to ME. 100% of the complaints about Windows 8 are of the "I don't want to change" nature. Nothing is an actual fault with the OS.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My ME desktop got donated to Goodwill, and my Vista laptop made a frisbie like flight off my upstairs deck into the lake. To me a computer is a tool, it is not my hobby. If it does not run seamlessly I do not need it. I reluctantly went to Windows 98, after a few patches it was dependable and didn't get in the way of me accomplishing what I needed to do. XP was ok out of the box. 7 needed a couple of driver patches. I need a new laptop as this one has been dropped. I have looked at Windows 8 laptops at two different places. The salesmen were all excited about it. About all they could make them do was play with social media and games. I think we will see windows 8 in the same places as ME and Vista.

While I am at it, why can't I find the 14 inch laptops any more? A net book is too small and these 15 and 17 in screens are a little too big.

Last edited:

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I have Windows 7 on my desktop, and windows 8 on my laptop for school. I would love to switch everything back to windows 7 on it. I gave it a chance, and learned all the functions. I agree it is cool for a tablet, but for a laptop, no way.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I am an IT person myself, I am on the second day of Win8 on my new laptop. If you use windows keyboard shortcuts like I do a lot I don't find it bad at all.
    In fact, since I am used to my Android phone it is somewhere between the Android and Win7.
    If you don't learn the shortcuts I see it does sometimes take a couple clicks to get where you need to be. Look up the vids in YouTube, I did that before my machine arrived and I was ready to click where I needed to.
    Things change, did I want to learn a new OS right now? No.
    Is it that bad to learn? No

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    M$ is committing suicide as we watch. They'll wind up as the XBOX people and maybe make some applications. Surface is a miscarriage. Windows phone is an abortion. They started with 12%, bought Nokia with 35%, now they total 2%. Lose. Win8 has some supporters, but they've decided to force server users onto the touchscreen. Lose. To really appreciate 8, you have to be on a touchscreen, and a touchscreen isn't what I want. 7 is doing what I want, but I still have boxen on 98SE:eek: Do you realize, if you dig deep enough, you'll find MSDOS is still in there? (I go back to MSDOS 1.25 BTW) You have to reboot to install software? Are you kidding? It's all a pile of polish on top of paint on top of patches on top of mods on top of kludges on top of bags on the side of essentially a stolen OS, which wasn't really an OS, but a glob of primitive APIs. I'm hoping Linux gets enough support rolling in to make it dominant, otherwise, anyone but M$ or Apple, please.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I'm a Sys/Network Admin with 15+ years in IT and I am RUNNING away from Win 8. Stay from Win 8 if you can. Its interface leaves much to be desired. Like always, Microsoft is always trying to do what Apple (not a fan of Apple either) has been doing. In this case, they are trying to merge their mobile OS and their desktop OS...and they failed.

Microsoft has a predictable pattern with their OS's. They build a halfway good one, assume they know what people want, build a bad one, learn their lesson, build a good one, assume they know what people want, build a bad one...

Don't expect business to pick up this OS unless they are forced in to it.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Does Win 8 work? Yes. Is it primarily well designed for tablets/touch screens? Yes.

Win 7 was a better design for straight up pc's .

So M$ is betting that the future lies in tablets. That's probably true - and for that Win 8 does its job. It's still suboptimal for pcs.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    How detractors how can you say MS is a fail? Look at the history of the Xbox at one time over 60% were failing within the first 3 months of operation and they still couldn't keep up with demand, That's a Win,

The market isn't for Tech guys, We won't ever be happy,

The Market is for teenagers and grandmothers who want to show off pictures of grandchildren, People who work really don't have a choice, thier company buys some box that they get for the cheapest price and we have to live with them.

I'm not defending MS , I'm saying its a tool and thats what we have to live with. So stop complaining about things that won't change because the working man/woman doesn't amount to anything in the market.

I have to use whatever I'm given, I don't get to go out and have an OS custom made for me.

Its like complaining that all tires are black, go out on the street and yell at goodyear and tell them you want blue tires, Let me know how that works.

W8 will be the OS of choice because its all we can choose.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I still call BS to anyone who says that people don't like change and don't want to learn the new way of doing things.

If its done right, it should come naturally. Look at iOS. People were used to mouse and keyboards, and files, and menus, Windows and OSx. But people picked it right up with iOS.

Being just as familiar with iOS, OSx, and Windows, I didn't think I would have a problem with 8. And I was left scratching my head on where stuff went, how to get to it, and even how to shut down the computer. If it's not easy to figure it, its not done right.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    And I was left scratching my head on where stuff went, how to get to it, and even how to shut down the computer. If it's not easy to figure it, its not done right.

When you first log in to Windows 8 they play a short tutorial showing you where to find the new things, such as shutting down your computer. I'm guessing you didn't watch it or didn't pay attention.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Change is great if it makes your life better and easier. If change results in longer service life it is good.

When change just make life more complicated, and more difficult it is unacceptable.

For the first time in my life, I am considering the apple product.

I am old enough to be tired of change that makes things worse. I can remember a time before my friend was killed by a driver that could not leave her cell phone off. Not all change is good.

Also Remember that the criminal that is dishonoring the Whitehouse and ruining our nation is all about "change"

slowman87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    I used a beta version of Windows 8 about a year or so ago and did not like it one bit. I can see it being fine for touch only devices (Like the Surface) but as for my daily driver OS with a mouse and keyboard... I'll never use it for that.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Y'all need to trade in your current pistols in order to upgrade to hi-points. So it is written, so shall it be done. ;)

Top Bottom