• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    My parents are around 90 yrs old. They see the free update window for windows 10 on their machines.
    Currently have 8.1 on them. I have a program on them that makes the interface look like Win 7 so they could handle it.

My issue is, how much different is 10 ver 7/8 in actual usage.

If they upgrade to 10, and if EVERY little thing they come across is different from what they are used to, I will get a phone call for help. I live 100 miles away. I can remote in when needed.

Am I opening up can of worms for myself and them if I update their machine to Win 10? :ingo:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just do 1 first (you said machines, so assuming there is more than 1) and see how it goes for them.

Depending on what they use on the machines, 10 is pretty straightforward. I have it on one of my laptops (took the preview as an update on that machine some time back) and really like it. I have to admit though, I haven't used the Edge browser at all on mine.

On the other hand, they have plenty of support (security updates, etc) left on 8.1, so if they are using that well and you just don't want to mess with it, there may be no reason to worry about 10.

My parents are in FL, and my mom's Win 7 desktop just died (she has a laptop as well and my dad has another 7 desktop). I told her to hold off buying a desktop currently as there was no reason to mess with 8.1 when she could pick up a machine with 10 on it from the get go, and would not have to mess with 8 even for the short time before 10 comes out. Yeah, I know she could pick up an 8.1 machine cheap and then do the free upgrade, but there is just no reason to as she has other machines to use for now.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is it broke? No? dont fix it! Unless they NEED something new in 10, or 8.1 is bad for them, its not worth the hassle.

I JUST upgraded my mom to 7 from XP earlier this year. She liked XP and it was working fine. She only got the upgrade because her hardware broke. (and XP is defunct)

I need to reload my main PC's copy of 7 due to BSODs and bloat. I have Technet access to ANY OS I want for free. (no, I cant get you a copy, sorry) I'm going RIGHT back to 7 most likely. There is nothing in 8.1 I need, and I'd have to skin it anyway because I prefer the 7 interface. Not worth the upgrade IMHO.

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I dunno... here's my thing...

My parents (60-70 yrs old) call me up and say 'my computer is slow'. On XP, I hit the start menu, and 5 columns wide of a start menu pops up with every bell and whistle on them... making it readily apparent what the problem is.

Windows 8 completely solved that...

BY HIDING THE DAMN START MENU.

Thanks Microsoft. /rant.

ETA: Our accountant hates it. +1 Microsoft for business bonus points.

Last edited:

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Been running 10 on a test machine for 6 months or so. It looks and feels like Win 8 and Win 7 had a baby. The desktop looks like 7. When you open the start button you get a mini version of the metro tile thing. You can find just about anything you want by typing it in the search page. I'm not a win 8 user ( Really don't like it), but I find the look of 10 pleasant. It's my opinion that a 7 user, or an 8 user that likes the 7 desktop feel, would likely do well with 10.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I don't except OS change easily. I ran ME for about 3 years after XP came out. I ran XP until my laptop crapped and I had no choice but to buy a new one with Win7. I still have 2 XP machines still running because they still run fine for there intended use. I've grown to like Win7. I've played a little with Win8 and I hate it. Win10 is only intriguing because it's suppose to be closer to Win7. I want to play with it before I make the choice.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't except OS change easily. I ran ME for about 3 years after XP came out. I ran XP until my laptop crapped and I had no choice but to buy a new one with Win7. I still have 2 XP machines still running because they still run fine for there intended use. I've grown to like Win7. I've played a little with Win8 and I hate it. Win10 is only intriguing because it's suppose to be closer to Win7. I want to play with it before I make the choice.

Run, dont walk to this skin. It makes 8/8.1 run almost like 7. I LOVE it.

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My parents are around 90 yrs old. They see the free update window for windows 10 on their machines.
    Currently have 8.1 on them. I have a program on them that makes the interface look like Win 7 so they could handle it.

If they upgrade to 10, and if EVERY little thing they come across is different from what they are used to, I will get a phone call for help. I live 100 miles away. I can remote in when needed.

Am I opening up can of worms for myself and them if I update their machine to Win 10? :ingo:

Cameramonkey is correct, IMO. It's not broke, so let it be. They have a year to redeem the code for Win10 (I believe), so I'd let it ride and only do it if you feel it's necessary. I agree it's similar to Win7, but it's different enough you'll definitely get some calls. Heck, I'm a computer guy and I don't really have any desire for it. I hate the fact they took the Aero effects out of 8/8.1 and I'm pretty sure they left them out of Win10 as well. I thought 8/8.1 looked really bad and when I was testing Win10, it wasn't much better (flat looking, basic color schemes). I can easily wait until some in-depth reviews come out to see if they change my mind.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    NP. Literally the first thing I do to any of my new 8/2012 servers is to install this shell. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Agreed.

We have been running a Windows 10 test machine in our data center for the good part of this year, I like it so far. I think 7 is the best one out there but 8/8.1 isn't terrible. Once you get use to it and install classic shell. I think for those that did not like the transition between 7 to 8/8.1, will be much happier going to 10 from 7 or 8. Im glad to see IE go too, I will probably stick to Firefox/Chrome over Edge though.

weezy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indiana
    Well the thing is you will have a year to update for free, after that it will cost something. So maybe when you visit them you could update then. I like the update and personally find it much more intuitive.

Top Bottom