• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I’m in the process of screening in our front porch. I’ve got pretty large openings I’m covering so I’d like to make sure I get good quality screen material to put up. I’ve replaced a few window screens over the years but nothing like this so I figured I’d ask for advice if we have any members who deal with this for a living.

I don’t have a strong preference for metal over synthetic, just need something durable and hopefully something that will stand up to the nonsense dished out by chickens, cats and dogs. I’m just running one large piece from floor to ceiling but I know I may have to divide the openings horizontally if the critters are gonna tear it up and make replacement a regular thing.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm coming along for the ride. I have a screened porch that need re-screening. I'm trying to decide if I want insect barrier(I do), dust barrier, or extra strength so I can forego any hard barrier to prevent small ones from pushing their way through to the ground 12' below.

I may put up sheep/goat wire in the lower 36" if I can't find something I'm comfortable with. I already have the horizontal divide like you mention. I just want to maintain the view.

I'm also going to look at those screen systems vs stapling screen and then covering it with wood batten strips which I have done successfully in the past.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm sure technology has marched on, but growing up we had a floor to ceiling screen porch and it sure would have saved some damage if maybe the bottom 2 feet wasn't screen. One thing that absolutely saved some damage was that it didn't run right up to the yard. There was about an 18" planted bed around the outside that kept most things from that direction away (mowers, weed eaters, less adventurous dogs, etc).

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Have you thought about a temporary screen that you can take up and down? Generally comes in 20'-40' sections.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The wife wants a barn door slider type screen door. Hopefully we can find one she likes tomorrow or she’ll just let me make one so I can get this thing painted and start screening.

I’m planning on using the Screen Tight system that Lowe’s has in stock. Hopefully it’ll hold up well.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Unfortunately the wife is against it, I tried. She wants as little blocking her view as possible.

She has agreed to me splitting each opening horizontally if the critters cause damage regularly. Fortunately the porch is elevated and I'm only leaving a short ledge so the chickens hopefully won't be a problem.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    At my late mom's house when the detached garage was built, she also has a roofed breezeway built connecting them.

20 foot wide opening with a 4 foot wall, I bought synthetic screen mesh and built frames to cover the mesh that I had stapled to the openings. Think there was less that $150 on the cost (1994 prices) and worked perfect, no intruding buggies and still allowed a good breeze to come through.

Something similar to Jaybirds photo.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Unfortunately the wife is against it, I tried. She wants as little blocking her view as possible.

Since I'm spending your money here...

Glass offers way more visibility than screen. We had another property that had sort of casement windows along the bottom and then screen from there up. In the off season we had storms for the screen section so it basically became a 3 season room. On the warmer days of the 4th season, you could open the casements if you wanted to.

Looking at the amount of porch you have, it would only be about eleventy billion dollars to do that. ;)

Ours was nowhere near this nice, but basically this idea:

1617752349754.png

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The wife wants a barn door slider type screen door. Hopefully we can find one she likes tomorrow or she’ll just let me make one so I can get this thing painted and start screening.

I’m planning on using the Screen Tight system that Lowe’s has in stock. Hopefully it’ll hold up well.
    I'm interested in how you like the Screen Tight. I looked at that. Let me know how it works out.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

She has agreed to me splitting each opening horizontally if the critters cause damage regularly. Fortunately the porch is elevated and I'm only leaving a short ledge so the chickens hopefully won't be a problem.
    Same here. I want to have the view.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I rebuilt my screened in porch last year. I looked at many screen systems including screen tight but I finally settled on the Screeneze system mainly because of looks, I like the inside mount method. All of the screens systems are damn expensive but it sure beats the hell out of the old school stapling. Also you can cover much bigger openings while getting the screen nice and tight.

I purchased from Decks Direct which has free shipping when you hit a certain dollar amount.
    Also purchase the super screen. It seems very nice but I don't know how well it will hold up to chickens and such. If you end up near brownsburg I'd show you the Screeneze system and give you a chunk the screen to check out.

Here's a couple links

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Keep in mind that some of the heavier screen material will obscure your view. I’ve done quite a few screen enclosures using what used to be called “solar screen” which did a great job of providing shade on the inside of the enclosure, but would make your eyes go crossed after a few minutes of looking through it.

The best way of doing a screened in porch would be to use an extruded aluminum 2x2 frame that has the grooves in it to roll the screen into using a rubber spline. It takes a little talent to get the screen nice and tight with no ripples, but it’s a nice system. The one system I used most was made by a company now called Superior Mason products LLC. Not sure about the cost anymore, but if you’re gonna be doing a lot of framing in with lumber, aluminum couldn’t be much more expensive at this point.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I had 22ea, 12' 2x8's laying around that I purchased last year. I decided to rip them and use them for the framing to save some money. The project I'd purchased them for had been abandoned so they weren't doing anything but getting old.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I had 22ea, 12' 2x8's laying around that I purchased last year. I decided to rip them and use them for the framing to save some money. The project I'd purchased them for had been abandoned so they weren't doing anything but getting old.

They probably doubled in value! No joke, I have some OSB I bought for a project that moved on that I'm seriously considering trying to sell :laugh:

Top Bottom