• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjordan2840

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    lafayette
    any suggestions? I've been looking at these guns at cabela's, between cabelas points and gift cards, I've got enough to buy. Their website doesn't offer much help. Review seem to be good for all. I'm not sure which way to go, what to look for, what to stay away from. Thanks for all your input and help.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    would depend on which models are available. as i understand it the windham's are old school bushmaster before buy out getting really good reviews, M&P would really depend on what model, bushmaster would be last choice.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Tell'n ya dude......ain't a nickels worth a difference in these things.....any of the 3 would be the same.
    If I taped up the name /markings on'a recievers .....and lay'd all 3 on'a counter.....be be will'n ta bet a chunk ya would'n be able to tell me which 1's which......

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I agree with Harleyrider. Production AR rifles are all out of the same parts boxes. Mil spec is mil spec.
    What really makes a rifle accurate is a barrel. There is not a lot of difference in production rifle barrels. As a matter of fact, two or three barrel works make barrels for almost everyone, and modern mass produced machine techniques make differenced almost impossible to find.
    What really makes a rifle easier to shoot well is the trigger. A single stage mil spec trigger is just that.
    Mil spec sights are 1 MOA clicks. Finer clicks are nice, but the Marine rifle team does not seem to have too much trouble scoring with them at the National Championships.

Now if you are going to look for a rifle with a priemium barrel, a full floating handguard, a fine quality match trigger, that rifle would be superior.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Mil spec is mil spec.

True, but none of the rifles mentioned IS "mil spec". If you are talking about the ability to accept common parts on the market, that's one thing. If you are talking about built in accordance with the government TDP, that is quite another.

As a matter of fact, two or three barrel works make barrels for almost everyone

While there may be a relatively small number of barrel blank manufacturers, the number of final machining/finishing houses is way bigger than "two or three".

Mil spec sights are 1 MOA clicks.

The Army Operators Manual for the M-16A2 and M4 states that windage adjustment clicks on the rear sight are 1/2 MOA.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I pretty much asked the same question a few months back. After looking at all three side by side Ill, tell you there really is a difference.

The Bushmaster had loose upper to lower fit, the finish was poorly done and uneven, the gas key is not staked, and the castle nut is not staked. Also I dont think the BCG is tested properly and it is not crome lined.

The M&P is definately a step up great rifles for the money. Pretty much one of the best off the self entry level ARs on the market. Some models are better than others so pay attention to details. Some do not have crome lined barrels, or BCGs.

I ended up buying a Windham Weaponry though. Its has no play what so ever in the upper/lower fit, the finish is deep, dark and even, the gas key is staked properly and the BCG is tested properly and is crome lined, and the barrel is crome lined. Im no AR guru but I would call the Windham the best AR for under $1000.00.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I pretty much asked the same question a few months back. After looking at all three side by side Ill, tell you there really is a difference.

The Bushmaster had loose upper to lower fit, the finish was poorly done and uneven, the gas key is not staked, and the castle nut is not staked. Also I dont think the BCG is tested properly and it is not crome lined.

The M&P is definately a step up great rifles for the money. Pretty much one of the best off the self entry level ARs on the market. Some models are better than others so pay attention to details. Some do not have crome lined barrels, or BCGs.

I ended up buying a Windham Weaponry though. Its has no play what so ever in the upper/lower fit, the finish is deep, dark and even, the gas key is staked properly and the BCG is tested properly and is crome lined, and the barrel is crome lined. Im no AR guru but I would call the Windham the best AR for under $1000.00.

Under 750.00 b'fore sales tax in this neck o' the woods......and would be my choice as well.......

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    True, but none of the rifles mentioned IS "mil spec". If you are talking about the ability to accept common parts on the market, that's one thing. If you are talking about built in accordance with the government TDP, that is quite another.

While there may be a relatively small number of barrel blank manufacturers, the number of final machining/finishing houses is way bigger than "two or three".

The Army Operators Manual for the M-16A2 and M4 states that windage adjustment clicks on the rear sight are 1/2 MOA.

Thank you for saving me the time. To everyone that thinks one AR is "as good as" another, you are sadly mistaken. Sure they are all black, look the same, function the same, but there are differences between them all.

OP, from your list I would rate them

S&W

Windham then Bushmaster

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Thank you for saving me the time. To everyone that thinks one AR is "as good as" another, you are sadly mistaken. Sure they are all black, look the same, function the same, but there are differences between them all.

OP, from your list I would rate them

S&W

Windham then Bushmaster

:popcorn:........
    Other'n ....?....I dunno.....bigger, longer range calibers/barrels......?
    :dunno: Sorry dude......I jus' don't see it.....:twocents:

:cool:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The M-4 was not out when I was playing the highpower game. There was A1 and A2 along with the m1a. I spent 8 years on the line at State and National championships and competed against Marine corp teams. The last time I was on the State team at Camp Perry was in 2003. They had 1 MOA sights. I do not believe they would have lied, perhaps things have changed. Either way, they shot tiny knots at 200 and 300 yards on a regular basis. So that is no excuse.

I cannot ever remember buying a finished barrel for a rifle. I also understand the difference between a blank and barrel finishing, but it is possible that in these times 3 different companies would sell the same model at the same lower end price point and there be a ton of difference? I can understand if we are talking about high end custom models.

I am not trying to rain on anyones parade, and I have never bought an entry level AR for personal use. I have sold a few dozen of them new and probably twice that many used. I even shot a few of them, I just never saw a hill of beans for difference.

I was surprised to hear that the Bushmaster rifles do not have staked bolt keys, I just checked 3 of mine, they are staked. Must be something they changed. My newest one is about 10 years old.

The greatest thing about America is that we can get what we want (at least for now) Whatever brand the original guy gets, I am extremely happy for him and wish him the best luck in the world. There is nothing as great as when a hard earned purchase meets our expectations. And noting stinks as bad as buying something you are unhappy with. Good Luck

Last edited:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Harleyrider you need to do some reading. Your posts in this thread make me think you don't really know a thing about the AR15 market.

:):.....
    Well I ain't no 'guru' on'em but.....c'mon dude......can trick ANY thing up.....add more x'pensive parts.....this.....that....doo-dads....kind'a like these bikes.....can get a azzload 1 in a hurry.....but is it need'd ta run down the road?........NAH......:twocents:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    It would be interesting to see the 3 compared side by side. I am new to the AR-15, and we jumped a little quick on our first one, that we were going to share. That only lasted a few hours! So, the Bushmaster became mine, and hubby has a higher end model from Black Rain Ordnance, only because he had a handgun to trade toward it. Those are the only two ARs I've ever shot. They are both fun to shoot. The Black Rain was harder to get sighted in. They both function equally well, and seem to be equally accurate from 100 yards. The Black Rain looks a lot better, and the components seem better quality- but they should, for the price. After getting the Bushmaster, I held some other AR-15s at a shop. The Windham, Stag Arms, and others. I kinda wished I had researched more before buying, but they all seemed similar, and I felt comfortable buying the Bushmaster, because a good friend who is an avid shooter owns one, so I was a little familiar with it. I figure I can always sell/trade mine, or change things on it once I learn more. I thought the Windham felt heavier and more awkward. Being a smaller person, that matters to me. The Bushmaster and Stag felt best for me.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    :):.....
    Well I ain't no 'guru' on'em but.....c'mon dude......can trick ANY thing up.....add more x'pensive parts.....this.....that....doo-dads....kind'a like these bikes.....can get a azzload 1 in a hurry.....but is it need'd ta run down the road?........NAH......:twocents:

:dunno:
    For any of MY purpose for the AR......and go'n back to the OP......of the 3 he mention'd......I'm say'n.....ain't enuff difference in'em ta matter. :dunno:
    Personally ? I'd put my $$ in the Windham......of the 3.....:twocents:

I guess Harley speak and english are two different languages. :dunno: what the hell did you just say?

OP ( and Harleyrider) go to a few stores and handle a few different models from different makers and if you pay attention to details you will see and feel the differences. You may even find something you like better than any of the 3 makers you listed for about the same price.

Top Bottom