• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Picked up a Winchester 670 in a pawn shop today. My research tells me this rifle was made in the late 60s to early 70s as a more economical version of the model 70. Anyone know anything about these? Accuracy? I can't wait to shoot it. If it shoots straight it will be my go to hunting rifle. It came with a Weaver 4X scope that looks like it was high quality for the time.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Just cheapened up for the masses, not unlike the 700 ADL's. No hinged floorplate, the metal finish was generally the same, although the bolt finish was different from time to time(jeweled or not).

Some had fairly decent stocks on them, some really had some cheap lumber.

Clean up the trigger, check the bedding and go shoot it.

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    i have one in 30/06 that has ridden around behind the seat of my truck and in a gun rack on the 4 wheeler for years shoots well but as stated before they are a cheapened up rifle the stock lumber for mine looks like it probably should have been a pallet

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    i have one in 30/06 that has ridden around behind the seat of my truck and in a gun rack on the 4 wheeler for years shoots well but as stated before they are a cheapened up rifle the stock lumber for mine looks like it probably should have been a pallet

What does "shoots well" mean? MOA? How much less?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Shot it today, used the old Weaver scope it came with. First group from 25 yards, less than an inch, one hole was practically through the other. Moved back to 100 yards, shot a 2 inch group - two shots close together, one flyer. Final group - 1 and 1/16, with two of the shots about a quarter inch apart.

I only had one kind of ammo to try, but clearly the gun shoots straight enough that I should be able to get it near or under an inch with handloads. Also, the trigger's not bad, but I'd like to lighten it a little. I guess it adjusts like the model 70s, which I understand isn't hard to do.

The scope worked well, when I adjusted it, it moved the group exactly the amount of the adjustment.

It looks like I've got a great mule deer/elk/antelope rifle.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Thats good info. I can't afford a gun for every occasion and that's the caliber I was recomended. so the marlin shoots good, sounds like a good value.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom