• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Actually, yeah. Rhino and I were talking about it in another thread; I'd love to do it but Atlanta doesn't have the facility. I'd even drive up to Wildcat to shoot it and RO it if we could get some other people involved.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I have to say that I had never attended any shooting competition before in my life and had a major freaking blast this weekend as an RO volunteer!

I was a little hesitant to work anything but the sign-up sheets at first, but midday Saturday I started running the timer for the plates. Took a couple of shooters before I got a rhythm, but after that I didn't want to give it up!

As if that learning experience wasn't enough of a thrill, I am excitedly waiting for the RO goodies to come in the mail. Maybe next year I'll win the big prize. :D

p.s. My biggest thrill of the weekend was timing the dude who ran six plates in, if I recall correctly, 2.24 seconds. WOW!

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    What's it take to do NRA Action Pistol? Facility wise, that is.

At a minimum to run the match smoothly you need four bays, in one bay you'd need two plate racks, in another bay you'd need at least 50 yards of distance, the third bay would need four target carriers and barricades at 10, 20, 25, and 30 yards, and the last bay would need the mover.

Wildcat actually has the whole shindig set up out there.

When I think about it, Eagle Creek actually has the necessary space to run the match - and who knows if they might even have a mover buried up there somewhere.

Hmm...how could we make this happen?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Has anyone mentioned we need to get an NRA Action Pistol match started back up here in Indiana?

I can't recall!

Tell, us slow1911s . . . what is this NRA Action Pistol of which you speak?

Could it be the sport from which the course of fire in the GSSF matches were inspired?

Could be a sport that truly tests one's practical accuracy and would be a really, really FUN AND CHALLENGING SPORT FOR ALL GSSF SHOOTERS TO TRY AND DO MONTHLY?

Could it be a sport that if we had more people interested we could get it going again at Wildcat Valley?

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    At a minimum to run the match smoothly you need four bays, in one bay you'd need two plate racks, in another bay you'd need at least 50 yards of distance, the third bay would need four target carriers and barricades at 10, 20, 25, and 30 yards, and the last bay would need the mover.

Wildcat actually has the whole shindig set up out there.

When I think about it, Eagle Creek actually has the necessary space to run the match - and who knows if they might even have a mover buried up there somewhere.

Hmm...how could we make this happen?

There might indeed be a mover, but we don't have plate racks.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I'm up for helping being an RO I did enjoy it. I think everyone on all the ranges could hear me calling the range hot and cold :):

I'd also like to shoot, what I would really like to do is get some good practice in someplace with someone to give me a hand and help watch where I mess up. I think I know what I do wrong, but need some help correcting it.

Other than that, anything close to Indy I'm up for as far as helping set up, RO and shoot.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm up for helping being an RO I did enjoy it. I think everyone on all the ranges could hear me calling the range hot and cold :):

I'd also like to shoot, what I would really like to do is get some good practice in someplace with someone to give me a hand and help watch where I mess up. I think I know what I do wrong, but need some help correcting it.

Other than that, anything close to Indy I'm up for as far as helping set up, RO and shoot.

ACT Instructional League matches may be something for you to check into. They give you exactly the type of instruction you are looking for. And are a lot of fun.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    There are actually quite a few courses of fire that can be used for Action Pistol but the common ones are the Plates, the Mover, the Barricade, and the Practical. here is a full list...the Speed Event is used as a Bonus for the top shooters normally.

• The Tyro Course is divided into three stages with three targets per stage, a total of 24 shots. All firing is from 10 yards. This course of fire must be successfully completed by all newcomers before advancing to record matches.
    • The Los Alamitos Pistol Match is divided into 5 stages for a total of 42 shots fired at 7, 10 and 25 yards.
    • The Flying "M" is conducted as man against man: Targets are placed at 7, 10 and 15 yards. The 7 yard target is a metal plate. Four strings are fired, two strings to the right and two to the lift. There is no time limit, and the 7 yard target stops the clock.
    • The Moving Target course is shot in three stages, for a total of 24 shots, from 7, 15 and 25 yards.
    • The International Rapid Fire (Modified) consists of 30 shots at 25 meters. The course is subdivided into six strings of five shots each; two in 8 seconds, two in 6 seconds and two in 4 seconds.
    • The Advanced Military Pistol course is divided into 6 stages for a total of 50 shots fired from 10, 25 and 50 yards.
    • The Practical Event consists of four stages, each with three strings and 12 shots per stage (48 shots total) and fired from 10, 15, 25 and 50 yards.
    • The Barricade Event is divided into four stages, with two strings per stage and 6 shots per string, for a total of 48 shots. All shots will be fired from behind a barricade.
    • The Moving Target Event (Modified) course is divided into 4 stages 12 shots each, for a total of 48 shots. The target will travel 60 feet in six seconds, between two barricades.
    • The Falling Plate Event is divided into 4 stages; each stage will have 2 strings, with 6 shots per string, 48 shots total. The targets will be 8 inch round medal plates, fired at 10, 15 and 25 yards.
    • The Speed Event is conducted as a man against man match, utilizing speed plate (steel) targets with firing done from 10 yards. The course is divided into two phases; Qualification and Finals. Firing is done from left and right side firing positions each containing a fan of one stationary time stop-place and four knock down plates. Maximum of 6 shots fired at targets. There is no time limit and the stop-plate stops the clock.
    • Crawford Barricade Event is divided into four stages, with two strings per stage and 6 shots per string, for a total of 48 shots. During each 6 shot string, shooter must fire 3 rounds at the right target and 3 rounds at the left target from matching sides of the barricade. All shots will be fired from behind a barricade.
    • Combat Event - An aggregate of the following stages: Stage 1) 7 yards - 12 shots from the standing without support position; eighteen seconds, time starts with loaded gun in holster and includes reloading for second 6 shot string. Stage 2) 25 yards - 6 shots kneeling, 6 shots standing left side from behind barricade, 6 shots standing right side from behind the barricade; sixty seconds, time starts with loaded gun in holster and includes reloading for subsequent 6 shot strings. Stage 3) 50 yards - 6 shots sitting, 6 shots prone, 6 shots standing left side from behind the barricade, and 6 shots standing right side from behind the barricade; two minutes, time starts with loaded gun in holster and includes reloading for subsequent 6 shot strings. Stage 4) 25 yards - shots standing without support; ten seconds, time starts with loaded gun in holster.
    • The Ambidextrous Match is shot in three stages, using the 8" plate target: Stage 1) 10 yards, 6 shots freestyle; 6 shots each, strong hand and weak hand only, unsupported. Stage 2) 15 yards, same as Stage One. Stage 3) 20 yards, two 6 shot strings, freestyle.
    • The Unsupported Standard Match is divided into four stages, with two strings per stage and 6 shots per string, for a total of 48 shots. There are three D-1 targets, fired at 10,15, 20 and 25 yards. All shooting is done with alternating strings of weak hand and strong hand unsupported.
    • The Speedload Challenge Event is divided into four stages, 2 strings per stage with a reload, six shots per string. There are three D-1 targets, fired at 10, 15, 25 and 50 yards. Shooting includes strong hand and weak hand unsupported.
    The plates can be done with a single rack...just would take longer to shoot everyone through.

The Mover requires a target run of 60 feet and a max distance from the target of 25 yards.

The Barricades require 35 yards and the Practical requires 50.

Of course other courses of fire can be substituted if one of the common four can't be run.

I would be happy to help set up the match and teach RO's how to run the matches.

My Action Pistol guns....

glenn.jpg

super1.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In 1997, the GSSF match at Eagle Creek (and probably a few other locations) featured the Moving Target event . Shortly after that, the Moving Target was removed from the curriculum and replaced by the falling plates. I remember this because I was 10th overall with a borrowed Glock 17 (the first time I'd shot a Glock in fact) that year with the mover and no plates, then I sucked mightily the following year without the mover, but with falling plates. Everything except the mover was on the clock like a Comstock Count in USPSA back then too. The time on the mover was fixed by the exposure of the target.

I suspect the Moving Target mechanism was loaned from another club, much like plate racks are loaners in some cases today.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    In 1997, the GSSF match at Eagle Creek (and probably a few other locations) featured the Moving Target event . Shortly after that, the Moving Target was removed from the curriculum and replaced by the falling plates. I remember this because I was 10th overall with a borrowed Glock 17 (the first time I'd shot a Glock in fact) that year with the mover and no plates, then I sucked mightily the following year without the mover, but with falling plates. Everything except the mover was on the clock like a Comstock Count in USPSA back then too. The time on the mover was fixed by the exposure of the target.

I suspect the Moving Target mechanism was loaned from another club, much like plate racks are loaners in some cases today.

Can anyone else hear Glory Days playing by Bruce Springstein? :bowdown: (I promised I would lay off a week Rhino. I think I barely made it :D)

I would definitely be interested in something like this. Let's make it happen.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    He had plenty of warm up time :D Had to get use to the angle on the glock.

Yea that angle kicked his arse at first. I also think the plastic threw him off, could have also been he wore out his shooting hand and arm signing all those autographs!

Seriously impresive though with the problems he started with. I think it's awesome that we got to score and watch those top guys on our lane.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    2 misses killed me, I'm guessing someone else with the same name as me shot, since I didn't shoot in Civilian.

Looks like we both had each other stickers, because his and mine are mixed.

You guys and this "angle" thing. I can pick up any handgun and shoot the same.

Last edited:

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    2 misses killed me, I'm guessing someone else with the same name as me shot, since I didn't shoot in Civilian.

Yes on sunday there was a second shooter with the same name. I thought it was you again till he said he was next. He mentioned someone else shot with his name because there was a sticker issue. I see another name a little lower in competition with the same name. Closer to mine :D

Top Bottom