• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DukeTheDog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Schererville (NWI)
    Hi, Has anybody been to Willow Slough? I looked it up on google earth, and it is enormous. I want to go Squirrel hunting, and hit the range also. Are there signs on where to go or where to park? I don't want drive in circles looking for things. Does anyone know where to park for squirrel hunting, and exactly where the rifle range is. Thanks

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I used to go there. But now I go to Kingsbury.
    I could show you how to get to the rifle range, but I'm not sure how to describe it.
    From Merrillville, I drove down 41 South.
    Willow Slough sign on right (west) of road, turned onto (west)
    Drive down road (dirt if I remember) till you see a small sign to range.
    Turn right (north) following sign. Range will be on right (east).

Maybe someone can come up with road names.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I used to hunt there. Mostly deer but squirrel and goose also. Lots of mature woods, good place for squirrel. Stick to the woods and avoid the fields when the bird hunters are out. Did I mention I used to hunt there? :rolleyes:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    The map is here. I don't know about squirrel hunting but I know the range is on 600W (crosshair symbol on the map).

I usually take US41 (heading south out of St. John) until I reach West County Road 400N (Newton County) where I turn west. It's a nondescript road with only a small sign (no stop signs or lights). The road just runs off into a cornfield but it is a paved, two lane road.

It's maybe two miles before you get to N County Road 600W. Keep looking to the south and don't pass up the two red, giant radio towers. CR 600W runs right by those radio towers. You will turn south at that point and drive until you get to the range (on the east side of the road).

Unless ....

If you were coming up from the south, you would turn west at Enos (a couple buildings at an intersection) on W County Road 100N / aka SR14.

You would then drive until you came to CR 600W and turn North to the range.

Be careful if you are carrying, it could be easy to get lost and wander across the state line into Illinois.

mhodge87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Goshen
    Willow Slough is my primary stomping ground. I generally hunt squirrels and coyotes.

If your interested in doing some good squirrel hunting, I would suggest areas 8A, 12 and 10. They are everywhere, but I found those areas to provide me with the best results.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Thanks for the info guys. Mark, Why did you "used" to hunt there? Is there something I should know about? Thanks

Had something do with an individual who should never have purchased a firearm and who somehow confused me with a grouse wearing hunter orange, which in my 56 years I have never seen a single grouse, either with or without hunter orange, in this part of Indiana. Another one of my buddies was also hit with birdshot. So we decided to find a place with more deer and less yahoos. But hopefully, if you stay in the woods, you probably won't get shot.

As cyprant so eloquently stated, there are a lot of idiots there.

DukeTheDog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Schererville (NWI)
    That's what scares my wife. I am taking my boys, we have all of the orange gear, but you never know. I wish I had a private place to go, but beggers can't be choosers. That's why I am taking them tomorrow, they are on fall break. I don't think I would take them there on the weekends with all of the yahoos out there.

mhodge87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Goshen
    That part of the reason why I enjoy night hunting so much is I am one of the few people out there at the Slough. In the day time, and especially as it gets near firearm season for deer, it gets pretty crazy out there.

billcollector

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Willow slough is the worst place to go during the deer and put and take pheasant season. You go after the put and take season and it is back to the people who are hunters not killers. It is actually a very large property and is pretty nice overall. When traveling on 41 you are looking for 1000 which goes to the west and I believe it is St Rd 114 to the east. If you travel I-65 it is the new exit that the dairy farm is on. Take it to state line road (it T's) turn left and go about 2 miles and the entrance to check in for deer hunting is on the left. You go over a small bridge and on the right is a white building (bar). There is an overhead street light at the entrance. Guys are a little hard to warm up to at times but they like the kids so you should be in good shape!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    It seems opening day is the "yahoo" holiday at most state hunting areas. Had a similar feeling at Jasper/Pulaski, and LaSalle. After that, seems they stay home, or if it rains or snows. Both places are better during the week, the "other hunters" are at their day jobs. Afternoon hunting is also slower time, so we go a little before supper, and out at dusk. If there are a few cars/trucks near your area, I move on to the next area. Don't want to infringe on the other guys. Sometimes just too many out, come back a few hrs later, all gone. It is first come, first serve, and don't spoil the next guys hunt by being noisy, smoking, using the tree stand as a urinal, it works that way for me the last 25yrs. Have fun and be safe!

DukeTheDog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Schererville (NWI)
    We had a great day there today! We never even took a shot, but saw a couple squirrels (and quickly lost them). We arrived there at 9:00 AM, and we were hunters 3,4 and 5, so we never even saw another hunter in the woods. We saw many, many, many deer stands already set up though. I would not want to go there during the gun deer season. It was perfect for my boys first hunt though. They can't wait to go again, we just need to work on their patience. Thanks for all of the input.

Top Bottom