jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh I get it.

OTOH, we've been dealing with bug for a year, and folks (incl. me) are really, really happy to get a vaccine.

So what if people post a picture of their bandaid on Instatard? They do the same thing if they get a new car, right? They're just happy they got it. Maybe they're also hoping to influence others to get a vax too; nothing wrong with that at all. If you believe something is good thing, why not allow a little peer pressure to work its magic?

If you call everything virtue signalling, that phrase going to become just as weak as "cancel culture" and "snowflake" or "unique". (The last one really bothers me, more so, "very unique". Either it's unique or it's not, there's no steps).

As to the "the cost", if you listen to some tinfoil folks around here, you'd think the cost of the vax was very high.

PS - I got mine at Kroger, and the receipt said my insurance "saved" me $5.60. :n00b:
    Wait. There’s a vaccine for Bug?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, posting on social media and either stating or implying that one is doing their part to save lives by getting vaccinated... virtue signaling.

Putting in your sig line, or liberally sprinkling in other posts "I stopped by my lgs on the way from getting my second jab".... virtue signaling. You know, the way some people with a PhD somehow mention it in every... single... conversation... lol!

In a thread about whether you are getting a vaccine or not, why or why not, which one, and how did it go... not so much!

So, yeah, "meaningful" is meaningful... as well as reading WHICH room you're in, let alone the mood of that particular room.
    This is a thread that asks who’s getting it. I’m not astonished that people would post that they’re getting it. My part in this conversation is a response to virtue signaling generally.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I was asked today if I had gotten my vaccine yet. My no and I'm not going to was met with a very sh*tty accusation that I was just going to be a carrier. Since when do you automatically get to be a carrier just because you don't get a vaccine?

People can drink all the Kool-Aid they want and listen to the lies the mainstream media is spoon feeding them but I'm not going to.

Sorry this is one me too wagon I'm not jumping on. As long as I have the freedom to choose, I choose not to.

Live with it. It's my body . If others can choose to kill newborn babies I can choose not to vaccinate on the same grounds.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012

Mechanism for Action​

mRNA vaccines have strands of genetic material called mRNA inside a special coating. That coating protects the mRNA from enzymes in the body that would otherwise break it down. It also helps the mRNA enter the dendritic cells and macrophages in the lymph node near the vaccination site.

mRNA can most easily be described as instructions for the cell on how to make a piece of the “spike protein” that is unique to SARS-CoV-2. Since only part of the protein is made, it does not do any harm to the person vaccinated but it is antigenic.

After the piece of the spike protein is made, the cell breaks down the mRNA strand and disposes of them using enzymes in the cell. It is important to note that the mRNA strand never enters the cell’s nucleus or affects genetic material. This information helps counter misinformation about how mRNA vaccines alter or modify someone’s genetic makeup.

Once displayed on the cell surface, the protein or antigen causes the immune system to begin producing antibodies and activating T-cells to fight off what it thinks is an infection. These antibodies are specific to the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which means the immune system is primed to protect against future infection.
    Thank you for the clarification.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    There’s plenty of virtue signaling everywhere on all sides.
    While I agree it's on both sides, those being vaccinated are MUCH louder and in your face.

Just 2 days ago I ran into a doctor (resident) friend who is extremely vocal about covid. This doctor actually limited their circle of friends based on one's opinion of covid and reaction to masks. I ran into this person in a building where I was not wearing a mask and they were; no one else was around. She saw me and began to walk towards me. Out of respect for her, I covered my face with my hand and told her I did not have a mask. She then said to me, I have a mask and besides, I got my shots.

I believe the message being told is if you get the vaccine, all will be safe; covid will go away. There is no data that says covid will go away at any time; but people believe that the vaccine will eliminate the virus from spreading.

I also have a friend who received their first dose this last week and they gave her a sticker to wear, similar to the "I voted" stickers. IMO, it is a shaming tactic along with spreading fear.

I'm still gonna wait.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    In a few years after the vaccines have shown what long term side effects they have and are not bad I'll be willing to take them if needed. I have a feeling the Chinese virus is here to stay like the flu. I do get a pneumonia shot about every other year or so. Flu shot if I remember to get one. I'm not against vaccinations just unproven untested unknown vaccines. I had to deal with that as a young man in the Army. They lined you up and filled you up with God knows what. I'm no longer a GI I now have a choice as to what goes into my body.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I believe the message being told is if you get the vaccine, all will be safe; covid will go away. There is no data that says covid will go away at any time; but people believe that the vaccine will eliminate the virus from spreading.
    All signs are pointing to that. Just not enough data to make that scientific conclusion yet. It makes sense though. When I caught it, all I had was a runny nose. Then when I recovered I had my antibody tested to donate plasma and they were too low to be useful. So I had a low viral load, that would explain the lack of symptoms and antibodies. This also means I was likely never contagious, with a low viral load. My body did a great job retarding the viral growth, naturally. I believe this is what they expect the vaccine to do by "artificial" means. The vaccine cannot keep the virus from entering your body of course. But it can make your body a hostile environment for growth. Frankly, there won't be enough people vaccinated to eradicate this bug. I do think we will see it become akin to the seasonal flu in duration and severity. Time will tell I guess.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I highly doubt the virus will be eradicated, especially anytime in the near future. The goal is to get the number of cases to a minimum.

How many viruses have actually been eliminated? 2?

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I was asked today if I had gotten my vaccine yet. My no and I'm not going to was met with a very sh*tty accusation that I was just going to be a carrier. Since when do you automatically get to be a carrier just because you don't get a vaccine?

You and I disagree about whether to take the vaccine... BUT...

... the people that say you, or I, need to take the vaccine to protect THEM... I'm with you, they can go **** themselves, and not in the good way. :)

You and I decided in a similar way on whether to take this (or any other vaccine). Does it benefit me and mine enough to take it?

I came up with YES, you came up with NO, and that is liberty right there. Anyone who seeks to take it away is an enemy of liberty and no friend of mine.

And, I'll add, those people, who think strangers have to do something to save or help THEM... well, I've got a feeling the vaccine isn't the first time they've felt that way... **** of a way to live relying upon the goodwill of strangers.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I highly doubt the virus will be eradicated, especially anytime in the near future. The goal is to get the number of cases to a minimum.

Two that I know of: smallpox and rinderpest.

It would take a pretty high vaccination rate to eliminate Covid. This would have to occur on a global basis, not just local. As long as a lot of people remain unvaccinated, the virus will continue to offer more variants. Whether or not they will be more harmful remains to be seen. Normally a virus actually has an evolutionary advantage of making people LESS sick because sick people stay home and the virus doesn't spread very well. Since SARSCov2 spreads often by presymptomatic people, the less severe variants might not take over.

Clearly, being more contagious is an advantage for some variants but that particular one in the US (B.1.1.7) is susceptible to the vaccine.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I vaccinated a few dozen people this afternoon in Montgomery County. I was fortunate to have a scribe who has been volunteering for months so everything went smoothly.

They had leftover dosages due to quite a few no-shows. I think the one problem with Indiana's online system is that you cannot cancel online; you have to call 211. I suspect some people found an earlier vaccine at a pharmacy then never canceled their appointment.

Anyone we got them all in arms. The health department made some phone calls and I was able to vaccinate my daughter.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    They had leftover dosages due to quite a few no-shows. I think the one problem with Indiana's online system is that you cannot cancel online; you have to call 211. I suspect some people found an earlier vaccine at a pharmacy then never canceled their appointment.
    211 is a joke, wait times are very long, yes I believe the no shows are due people not wanting to deal with 211.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    211 is a joke, wait times are very long, yes I believe the no shows are due people not wanting to deal with 211.
    My husband got a somewhat clueless person the first time and then a very good person the second time. They are now supposedly taking as many calls in a day as they normally take in a year, so obviously a lot of new staff.

I still think Indiana's vaccine rollout has been one of the best: the focus on age order instead of careers, the ability to go online and register, and the 211 option for those who cannot go online.

It's not perfect though. Being able to reschedule or cancel online would be better. Still, if I were the tech guy I would be reluctant to try to initiate a major change like that.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

I think only Smallpox and Polio. And there are still outbreaks from time to time amongst populations that are undervaccinated.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I vaccinated a few dozen people this afternoon in Montgomery County. I was fortunate to have a scribe who has been volunteering for months so everything went smoothly.

Anyone we got them all in arms. The health department made some phone calls and I was able to vaccinate my daughter.
    My wife and I scheduled on line. Hers was about 2 weeks earlier than mine. I went with her and got my first shot at the same time because they had extra. We scheduled our second at the vacc center and the ended up a week or ten days apart. For the second I went with her and got mine at the same time. both times the Vacc center took care of canceling my existing appt (seemed like they had to do that to set the second) and registering me for my shot.

I wonder if pharmacies follow the same protocol?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Anybody know what's the latest on the studies to determine whether the various experimental vaccines impede transmission of the virus? The last I saw a couple of days ago was there was evidence to suggest it may be the case. But, I didn't spend a lot of time searching. I was too busy cussing Menards after finding out that one of the glass globes was broken in the packaging for a light fixture I'd already installed.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    My wife and I scheduled on line. Hers was about 2 weeks earlier than mine. I went with her and got my first shot at the same time because they had extra. We scheduled our second at the vacc center and the ended up a week or ten days apart. For the second I went with her and got mine at the same time. both times the Vacc center took care of canceling my existing appt (seemed like they had to do that to set the second) and registering me for my shot.

I wonder if pharmacies follow the same protocol?
    Yes if you go through the state portal it won't even let them schedule your in without deleting your existing appointment (my scribe did this for a couple of people yesterday). But some pharmacies such as Kroger and Meijer have their own systems.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom