• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a place in a hillside not accessible by any type of vehicle (maybe horse) I have 10,000 gal. of low sulfur deisel. 5 1500 gal lp tanks full. 16,500 gallons of drinking water. One 100 kw generator. 337 quarts of beans, 294 quarts of corn, 35 lbs of sugar, 20 lbs of wheat. a wood burning stove and 15 cords of wood. Also, some of the gas masks that were posted on a SHTF air?? thread. 2200 to be exact.

Dude, you need more wheat...

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I plan on staying in our small town.We have neighbors that have proven to be helpful before. There is family close by,if it gets bad. More family further out(half way to Ohio) that can be reached on all county roads, only have to cross a few state highways. However, if IT is that bad, don't you think that the CITY groceries and conv. stores are going to be looted first? There's a Kroger, WalMart,4 gas stations,3 liquor stores, 3 drug stores and a dozen restaraunts between us and "big city"(polite term)

Last edited:

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Everybody doing a bugout, think really hard about your vehicle. I'm old, but most young 4-wheelers seem to think their wheels will go anywhere. Figure every road will be blocked with stalled vehicles including the berms. Every fence will have to be broken through or stop and cut it to drive through.

Got a med to large dog you can build a dog cart for? If your wheels are stopped for any reason a dog cart carried on top of your 4X can haul more gear than you can probably carry. Walking is slow, but there might be a lot of it going on.

A garden cart you can push or pull beats carrying all of your gear. Just saying you might have to alter your plans half way somewhere and it's easier if you've planned ahead.

Try not to put all your eggs in one basket.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I'm placed in a nice spot surrounded by a hollow. Pretty much 5 miles from civilization. We've got plenty of food and supplies set up as well as 3 ponds. I've got a few buds heading in if it gets bad, so there is a help.

There are a few families set in the area that we are good friends with, I have no fear. Bugging in will be the best idea, other than that, hopefully the name of our area, Deadman's Hollow, will keep some out.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Will take shelter in basement if something DRASTIC broke out. Start grabbing stuff from the garage (tools) and begin boarding things up.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I can't explain why but I feel that during an TEOTWAWKI event the cities will become chaotic death traps and probably not the best place to be .

In my case I live inside 465 near a bunch of borderline KKK types on one side , and a section 8 type projects also near by .

So I feel that I'm probably gonna have to be mobile , in which case I've got a place to go providing I can get there .
    Bug out equals refugee. Yes, you should be able BO but only if you have a place to go, not some "spot" in the woods or on a map. Bug in is much safer.

I spent a lot of time in New Olreans last year, worked by the dome and talked to a lot of people about Katrina. You can bug in anywhere.

You may invest in a chainsaw and learn how to use it before you need it and a few heavy chains. With these simple items you can direct the flow of traffic very easily by dropping trees across roads etc....something to think about. Those with 4wd can still get around.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Bug out equals refugee. Yes, you should be able BO but only if you have a place to go, not some "spot" in the woods or on a map. Bug in is much safer.

I spent a lot of time in New Olreans last year, worked by the dome and talked to a lot of people about Katrina. You can bug in anywhere.

You may invest in a chainsaw and learn how to use it before you need it and a few heavy chains. With these simple items you can direct the flow of traffic very easily by dropping trees across roads etc....something to think about. Those with 4wd can still get around.

Dropping trees with a chainsaw is a great idea if it is ever needed. +1 for giving me another idea...:D

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I have a place in a hillside not accessible by any type of vehicle (maybe horse) I have 10,000 gal. of low sulfur deisel. 5 1500 gal lp tanks full. 16,500 gallons of drinking water. One 100 kw generator. 337 quarts of beans, 294 quarts of corn, 35 lbs of sugar, 20 lbs of wheat. a wood burning stove and 15 cords of wood. Also, some of the gas masks that were posted on a SHTF air?? thread. 2200 to be exact.

337 quarts of beans??? You aren't gonna need that much diesel and lp! The methane supply will do you just fine.... :D :flamethrower:

Seriously - that's some bigtime numbers. I do believe in eating the same thing that you store and rotating the stock. The GI discomfort that would result from a change to the diet you propose above would be gosh-awful... At least for me.

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I agree with the OP that life will be crazy after 'the end' of our world.

Current bug-in: I live in a basement downtown, and keep myself armed. Only a week or so of spare food, and it's in constant circulation.

Current bug-out: I have family near the outskirts of crawfordsville, large property, plenty of woods, and a driveway that's damn near a half mile long. If someone wants to come get us, we'll be able to empty a few magazines into their vehicle before they get close.
    Plenty of farmland nearby, they have a 12'x12' garden, and plenty of land to turn into Permaculture, if the need be.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I live in Fort Wayne, inside the city. Not the suburbs. I am prepared to bunker in if needed. I have all preps in place. Always.

I am also prepared to move out on foot or by vehicle/caravan. I have multiple BOLs, north and south, as well as "safehouses" in the city. I have crew, well trained and very nearby I can count on for mutual support/firepower etc.

My neighborhood is fairly easy to seal off and defend. Old, solid houses, many all brick. Stone walls on the corners, high curbs, cast iron light poles. Lots of old shrubs, massive trees, fences etc. The manhole covers and storm drains are easy to get into. Ladders lead to tunnels which lead to catch basins. My hood has a number of prior service vets and cops. Good people. My house is well stocked, reinforced and I have lots of stuff to make it better in a pinch. (razor wire tends to scare the sheep, so it comes out later.)

I think I'll stay.

With that said, I can walk away from it all and burn it to the ground if needed.

I have actually HIKED my 21 mile bugout route in a single night, carrying my 40 pound BOB and an AK. It is do-able. I have the route dialed in 100%, right down to where the mean dogs are and which ones are tied up and which ones aren't. That is the only way, IMO to get real about your bug out plan. Plotting it on google earth and driving it ain't the same. Run it like an EP route analysis. Do you homework and earn some blisters.

Good luck all.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

So what will you do if it last longer than a week?:dunno:

C.H.U.D.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Elkhart
    wetsu if you can burn it down so can the zombies with you in it,fire is overlooked by most,and molittal easy to make just have plan B your route out will not be the same in a shtf senario as it is when everybodys sleeping comfortly dog will be replace with gang trying to survive

Top Bottom