• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Looking at getting this kit: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008M5TSCG...UTF8&colid=XNSCO9C8XO3P&coliid=I1HJLNL59YZ5NG

And then getting these dies: http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Carbide-4-Die-Luger/dp/B00162TEWG/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_text_y

And then a tumbler of some sort. Am I missing anything, apart from consumables? I will be loading 9mm.

Yes

That lee scale is garbage. It works, but slow as molasses. Get a digital scale for around $30
    You also need micrometers to check measurements
    A good bright light is very helpful

There are many other things that help, but not necessarily a "must have"

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I've loaded thousands of 9mm as well as several other calibers with the equipment you have listed other than the Lee scale. The scale is really not very good. I use and recommend a RCBS 10-10 or for a little less money the RCBS 502

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    It is a decent kit to get started with and as you use it you will find things you would like to upgrade. I have the Lee single stage kit and still use it although have a Dillon for pistol loads now.

I have upgraded the scale out of my kit with the RCBS charge master use Lee dies and have made some great ammo. Get some digital calipers and components and you should be good to go.

Knowing what I know now I would rather buy a used progressive from someone getting out of it or upgrading. Talk it up if you are not in a hurry. Budget and shooting volume will determine what fits.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I started off with the Lee Classic Turret Press, and have never regretted it. Thousands of 9 mm rounds later and it's still chugging along. I managed to get 228 rounds in an hour one time when going for speed but while visually checking each powder load and with tactile checking of primer seating. Certainly get a digital scale and good calipers, as mentioned. Don't go overboard or you will risk tendinitis, but you can switch the lever to pull it left handed if needed. Some of the plastic parts will need to be replaced eventually, such as the square drive washer, but this is a great setup at a good price. And get multiple load books from different manufacturers.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    I never recommend kits because invariably it will include stuff you don't need, or there will be certain pieces (scale, calipers, etc) where you would be better off to upgrade from the get-go.

Stay away from $30 digital scales. Invest more here. It is not that they are necessarily inaccurate, but every cheap digital scale I have ever used likes to stop measuring if you pause or are trickling slowly. You keep adding and the reading stays the same. But if you take the load off, zero, and put it on, suddenly it's a half grain heavier. A potentially dangerous situation. If all you are using the scale for is to check thrown charges from a measure, you can get away with it. Otherwise, I would upgrade.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I started out with a Lee single stage kit. The powder measure and scale were junk. Upgraded to a RCBS Chargemaster. I'll eventually upgrade the press, but it gets the job done.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Why not go to Profire and get everything you want the first time? You'll also be supporting a local business that will help you understand why the stuff you're getting is right for your situation. When you want to try something different, you'll have a trusted resource to guide you on future purchases.

fordfarmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    Check prices at FS reloading. Its better if you break it down and get just what you need . I have loaded on a lee 3 hole press for 30 years and hope to for another 30 .

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I've used that Lee scale, powder measure, and the Lee Challenger press to load literally thousands of 9mm, 40, 357 Mag, and 38 Spl.

The scale takes some practice. I would also advise getting a better, easier to use, digital scale. I'm not reloading much these days because I'm not shooting as much, and I'd like to have a multi stager instead of my Challenger. The Lee stuff works, it can get you started, but it might be wise to save up a few more bucks and look at getting RCBS or Dillon gear.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I never recommend kits because invariably it will include stuff you don't need, or there will be certain pieces (scale, calipers, etc) where you would be better off to upgrade from the get-go.

Stay away from $30 digital scales. Invest more here. It is not that they are necessarily inaccurate, but every cheap digital scale I have ever used likes to stop measuring if you pause or are trickling slowly. You keep adding and the reading stays the same. But if you take the load off, zero, and put it on, suddenly it's a half grain heavier. A potentially dangerous situation. If all you are using the scale for is to check thrown charges from a measure, you can get away with it. Otherwise, I would upgrade.

Great thread, information. Not to hijack, but I think what I am asking may help the OP with his decision also.

For us newbies that are considering reloading, could you throw together a checklist of good equipment, without robbing the bank, that includes everything needed to start reloading? Good enough that we may never need to upgrade to get good quality, consistent results. Like you, I hate to get a bunch of items that either I don't need or will need replacing in the near future with a better item. I have been considering 9mm and 5.56. Thanks.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Great thread, information. Not to hijack, but I think what I am asking may help the OP with his decision also.

For us newbies that are considering reloading, could you throw together a checklist of good equipment, without robbing the bank, that includes everything needed to start reloading? Good enough that we may never need to upgrade to get good quality, consistent results. Like you, I hate to get a bunch of items that either I don't need or will need replacing in the near future with a better item. I have been considering 9mm and 5.56. Thanks.

There is a sticky at the top of the forum with all of that information.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I think the first thing you need to select is the right reloader. Single stage or Multi-stage...usually the deciding factor here is budget. In my opinion the single stage reloader has some advantages if and only if you are working on a custom load for a specific purpose. It allows to do perform and design each step of the load design and make subtle changes throughout the process. When I was reloading a lot more than now...I would often build out 5 cartridges of one design, and another 5 of another, and 5 of a standard design. I'd then go shoot those and make a lot of notes in my loading journal. I also stick to using same manufacture dies as the loader.

Multi stage loader are awesome for mass producing a load design, much more quickly than ever using a single stage loader.

Scales, deprimers, primers, micrometers, can almost always be upgraded, no matter where you start.

xilegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    Speedway
    you will also need material for your tumbler. Don't make the same mistake I did and order online. Go to Petco or a pet store that has supplies for lizards. You can get a 5lb bag of crushed walnuts for $8, plus will need a strainer and large bowls for the sifting process, dollar store works fine. Last but no least get a bottle of Nu-Finish car wax. There is a post on cleaning brass, this works amazingly well. As to the lube that came with your kit, throw it away, Profire carries a nice aerosol that's takes all of about 30 sec. to lube 50 rounds

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Bit the bullet. Ordered the RCBS Explorer Plus that I linked to above (I liked the extras and upgrades) today. $50 rebate plus a $20 coupon helped make my decision easier. Now off to get a tumbler and calipers at the local Harbor Freight.

Good God! As if I needed another hobby. Wife's going to kill me when she finds out. :ugh:

P.S. In all the excitement, I forgot to order dies! Oh well, gives me time to decide which to buy.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom