Will CCI snakeshot shells cycle a semi auto?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Don't count on it cycling an auto, no.

It MIGHT cycle a well-worn auto. Still wouldn't count on it.

-J-

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have some Winchester snakeshot. The case is crimped brass instead of a plastit cup, more conical. I'll try some next range trip.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    I will say "No." I have used these for rodent control in a 10/22. I load up the magazine and operate the bolt by hand to reload for a follow-up shot.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    You weren't specific on caliber but, I have tried the 9mm and 40S&W CCI snakeshot and it cycles fine. I have used 22 snakeshot crimped rounds (not CCI) and doubt it would cycle in a semi-auto as even my bolt action had difficulty extracting the spent brass.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    absolutly not. the .22 semi auto's NEED the bullet to create enough back pressure to cycle the slide. If it will cycle w/ those, i would be afraid of how much abuse the frame is taking.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Hummm... it's been a while.
    I don't 'think' the 22's cycled the Beretta 87... but, I may be mistaken (been to long ago).

Now in respects to the 9mm variety. I have tried them in a Kahr K9 and Sig P228, with no problems. Now, I have an old Tanfoglio that doesn't like hollow points after a few shots. It will stove pipe, as the feed ramp gets dirty from firing. If you try the shot shells in this pistol, the first round is normally fine. But when it cycles and the second bullet's tip hits the feed ramp... all h*ll breaks loose. The plastic cap breaks and little lead bb's go everywhere!

It's not fun cleaning up the gun after that happens. Lead is wedged into every little hole and crack it can find. :(

Top Bottom