• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    I own and shoot some low to med priced ones but have never had the chance to fondle, I mean, handle any Ed Browns, Les Baer, Nighthawks, etc. Do any dealers or private sellers have these at the 1500? I just want to see what all the fuss is about.

Last edited:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Last one had 1 Wilson combat. That's it, take a trip to elmore's they have more than you will ever need to touch. I have the nighthawk t3 for my carry gun.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Last one had 1 Wilson combat. That's it, take a trip to elmore's they have more than you will ever need to touch. I have the nighthawk t3 for my carry gun.

The only problem with Elmores is their guns are all beat to hell from being put away and put back out every day into a crowded cabinet.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    The only problem with Elmores is their guns are all beat to hell from being put away and put back out every day into a crowded cabinet.

I must of been lucky when I bought mine.

My experience there doesn't support your post but you can have your opinion.

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Ok, Elmore's is in Greenwood I believe. will do search. thanks.

What about 1911 parts at the 1500? Looking for recoil springs, plunger springs ( like to have a spare just in case of loss), etc?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Ok, Elmore's is in Greenwood I believe. will do search. thanks.

What about 1911 parts at the 1500? Looking for recoil springs, plunger springs ( like to have a spare just in case of loss), etc?

Elmores :)

even the Wilson combat mags will be cheaper at elmores.

There's no shop around without going to buds in Kentucky that has the stock instore that elmores has.

If you want to shoot a nighthawk you can shoot mine.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Problem is with the Baer's, Wilson's, Brown's, etc...you are paying a fairly stiff penalty just for their name on the gun. If you own a decent mid range priced gun you can do several things to improve accuracy and end up with a gun that will perform with the big name guns for a whole lot less money.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I had three kimbers before I bought the nighthawk. Even though the Kimbers were nice production guns they are not in the same level as the custom 1911's

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Elmores :)

even the Wilson combat mags will be cheaper at elmores.

There's no shop around without going to buds in Kentucky that has the stock instore that elmores has.

If you want to shoot a nighthawk you can shoot mine.

Bite the Bullet in Seymour tends to have a few.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Problem is with the Baer's, Wilson's, Brown's, etc...you are paying a fairly stiff penalty just for their name on the gun. If you own a decent mid range priced gun you can do several things to improve accuracy and end up with a gun that will perform with the big name guns for a whole lot less money.

:+1:

If you get a good 1911, Colt, Kimber, etc, you can add things you want and be completely happy. Most good guns are capable of shooting better than the average owner anyway. I found that if I had a full blown $1500-2500 gun I was afraid to use it for fear of scratching it or worse. I shoot my built Colts all day long w/o as much worry. :twocents:

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Yeah, I though about buying a good basic and adding mods as I like but right now, I like to own a pistol, shoot them for a while, then sell/trade. It seems that the more mods done, the less likely one is able to sell/trade, esp if one has done the mods themselves.(Of course, I also won't buy a used pistol if someone has done alot of their own mods)

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I built my first competition 1911 starting with a Caspian frame and slide. Had to fit the slide to the frame, install the cone comp, fit all the internals...basically build the gun. Only thing I farmed out was having the frame cut for a ramped barrel...had to as I didn't have access to a mill. After I had it done Ken Tapp shoot it and proclaimed it as good a gun as the $3000.00 Caspian factory custom he was shooting. It shot well enough that I used it to win the Regional, Indiana State, and Illinois State Championships in action pistol. In NRA Action Pistol a malfunction will cost you anywhere from 10 to 60 points. If you drop just 2 points you can forget about finishing in the top 10. I had less than $1000.00 in the build.

If you don't mind paying more for a name rather than the gun is actually worth I guess the name on it is worth the money to you but I like the satisfaction of using a gun I built myself...and when entry fees are 500 bucks saving money gets to be important.

What I am saying there are a lot of folks out there that know what they are doing when it comes to mods or building guns that don't charge for their name on the side. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself look around at the matches and talk to the people who shoot through all the stages without a malfunction...chances are you can find someone who know how to mod without charging an arm and a leg.

bobbystoney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Mr. Monkeys Nighthawk is one sweet gun. I always wondered myself how big of a difference the higher end 1911 would be. Let me just say that after holding and feeling the trigger pull on his gun, I can say that they make a big difference. That gun was just freakin' awesome!

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County

You will have to dump a lot of money into a mid range pistol to get anything close to a Brown, Baer, or Wilson and you still will not have the same level of fit and finish inside and out. My Gold Cup has a very nice fit and finish, but not nearly as nice as my Brown Executive Target.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    You will have to dump a lot of money into a mid range pistol to get anything close to a Brown, Baer, or Wilson and you still will not have the same level of fit and finish inside and out...

I have to disagree as I have had work done by Robert Miller on three Colts that are of the "same level of fit and finish inside and out" and I didn't "dump a lot of money into a mid range pistol". However, Bob has become well known and his wait times have increased greatly and I am sure the costs have to.

Go to: Miller Custom Gunsmithing

Top Bottom