Will a stolen gun that's recovered by LEO be returned without prompting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PurduePharmD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Atlanta
    My folks had an auto-break in a couple years ago and had a S&W ripped out of their in-car "safe" they'd installed.

Gave all the pertinent info to the LEOs and are curious if there's anything they should be doing that's more proactive (ie contacting the IMPD directly to search for a recovered serial number)

I've seen some threads on here regarding stolen guns and other sites that have lost gun serial number registries but was curious if I could get some feedback here. Thanks

AG

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As long as they don't move and change their phone number, they will be notified. If they do change contact information, they should notify the assigned detective who can update his case notes.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    I'd call and check on the case periodically. They should receive a call from IMPD, at least yearly, to verify the "stolen" status of the gun, but that may not happen considering the size & case load of IMPD. It may take some persistence to regain possession even after/if the property is recovered, so be patient. Also, was an insurance claim filed and were your parents compensated for the loss of the gun? If so, the gun will now belong to the insurance company and your folks will not have ownership of it anymore. Some insurance companies file a Notice of Claim letter with the law enforcement agency and some don't. Long story short (too late, I know) if they didn't get an insurance settlement, call every 90 days, or so, and check the status. I'd contact either the officer who took the original report or, if one was assigned, the detective responsible for the case.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'd contact either the officer who took the original report or, if one was assigned, the detective responsible for the case.

You're wasting both your time and the officer's time. With IMPD and other large departments, the reporting officer has no idea what happens after he sends the report off. He isn't notified of any updates, he doesn't have access to case management software, etc. Unless he's called into court, he'll never see or think about the case again. I already said how to deal with the detective, and calling every 90 days isn't going to get you any new information.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    You're wasting both your time and the officer's time. With IMPD and other large departments, the reporting officer has no idea what happens after he sends the report off. He isn't notified of any updates, he doesn't have access to case management software, etc. Unless he's called into court, he'll never see or think about the case again. I already said how to deal with the detective, and calling every 90 days isn't going to get you any new information.

I don't disagree with the original officer part, but sometimes it's beneficial to "know" someone who has the inside line and that was the reason I suggested that. If one is not familiar with the in & outs of how IMPD operates, it can be a frustrating ordeal. It can be a task for an outside agency to obtain information on a case there, let alone someone who is completely unfamiliar with the process. I maintain it's completely reasonable to call once in 3 months and you're not "wasting" anyone's time. A victim who calls the department every 90 days to check on the status of their case is completely within their right to do so.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    When my house was broken into and some dirtbags stole 3 of my guns, the IMPD detective called the second they were recovered on a traffic stop. They're good about that. Calling every so often is a waste of everyone's time unless you're updating contact info. When it's found, you'll get a call…if you don't get one, it isn't found. The wait sucks though.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    When my house was broken into and some dirtbags stole 3 of my guns, the IMPD detective called the second they were recovered on a traffic stop. They're good about that. Calling every so often is a waste of everyone's time unless you're updating contact info. When it's found, you'll get a call…if you don't get one, it isn't found. The wait sucks though.

I'm personally familiar with 2 different victims who'd beg to differ with you. I'm not digging at IMPD. They're a large agency with vast responsibility, but sometimes things fall through the cracks. Feel free to disagree with my advice, but, if it were me, I'd call. I still disagree with the thought 4 calls a year is an undo hardship on any public service agency. My last word, flame away.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Not flaming, but i'm interested in what was the story behind your victims thefts? Everyone has different experiences. Mine was positive.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Here is my story. My charter arms 44 special was stolen from my house by the next door neighbor. (15 year old boy) I was at work and he climbed into my house via an open window and went upstairs and got the gun out of my spare bedroom dresser. There were several guns in my house that he passed and only took the one. He and a friend shot the gun three times, and then brought the gun to their mom and said they had found it in the alley. The mom called police and the police took the gun and filled out a report. This happened in July 2010. In November 2010 I went to get my charter arms 44 spl and that is when I noticed it was stolen. I called police, report filed and gave them the serial number and description of the gun. Weeks passed and nothing happened. In Jan 2011 I was talking to my neighbor boy about my loss and he said that he and his friend had found a gun that was a 44 spl in the alley and gave it to his mom. I now knew what had happened and all the pieces fit. I still had to call the police (Munster) and tell them my case number and the moms case number and told them that they had my gun and these cases could be closed. They had my gun, had two cases of a missing gun from two houses side by side, with the same S/N and they still couldn't figure out that they had my gun. (shady as all hell). These cops are corrupt or idiots and probably wanted to sell my gun at auction time instead of helping out a taxpayer. (I say this because at the time I went to get my gun, they told me it was the only gun they had in lock-up.) If you wait for a cop to solve your case, IMO you will be disappointed.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    When my handgun was taken in 1997, I was notified when it was recovered in 2006. Like what was said earlier, as the report taker, I have no access to the investigation after that. I have no idea what detective is assigned or if anything was recovered or how the investigation was progressing. Call the detective on occasion if you want but until it turns up, there is little they will be able to tell you.

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    My home was broken into last March and among the things stolen, I had three handguns. Two of them were matching Taurus 9mm pistols and the other was a Colt Diamondback 6" .22LR revolver. They took down the serials and that was that. Four months later, I got a call from the Hendricks County Sheriff's office saying they recovered the Colt. The "kid" that pawned it off told the cops that he "found it in a park". They knew he was lying but there was nothing they could do to prove it. When they gave me back the Colt, they told me the story and gave me his name. That was the end of it. While not the IMPD, the Hendricks County team was great and it sounded like they worked very closely with the IMPD when the pawn shop realized they purchased a stolen firearm. All seemed competent and I am happy to have the one pistol that held sentimental value. Perhaps the other two will come back to me in time, but given they were stainless semi autos, I expect the serials to be ground off, never to be seen again.

Long story short, call them periodically if it makes you feel any better, but by doing so, you don't really do yourself or them any favors. It's simply a matter of the gun(s) popping up on their radar. Until that happens, all are in the dark. Some times they show immense incompetency but most times they seem to really be on the ball.

I wish you luck. I know most scenarios don't end up like mine, I consider myself very fortunate, but I wish your folk's luck.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Perhaps the other two will come back to me in time, but given they were stainless semi autos, I expect the serials to be ground off, never to be seen again.

It is very rare we come across a gun with an obliterated serial number. The "hit" in the system never expires and is nation wide. One of my former LT's had a gun returned after almost 10 years.

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    It is very rare we come across a gun with an obliterated serial number. The "hit" in the system never expires and is nation wide. One of my former LT's had a gun returned after almost 10 years.

That gives me hope, but I've already mentally divorced myself from the idea of seeing them again. I guess I just assumed that stolen firearms get their serial numbers removed. Not sure where that idea came from but I appreciate the post.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Here is my story. My charter arms 44 special was stolen from my house by the next door neighbor. (15 year old boy) I was at work and he climbed into my house via an open window and went upstairs and got the gun out of my spare bedroom dresser. There were several guns in my house that he passed and only took the one. He and a friend shot the gun three times, and then brought the gun to their mom and said they had found it in the alley. The mom called police and the police took the gun and filled out a report. This happened in July 2010. In November 2010 I went to get my charter arms 44 spl and that is when I noticed it was stolen. I called police, report filed and gave them the serial number and description of the gun. Weeks passed and nothing happened. In Jan 2011 I was talking to my neighbor boy about my loss and he said that he and his friend had found a gun that was a 44 spl in the alley and gave it to his mom. I now knew what had happened and all the pieces fit. I still had to call the police (Munster) and tell them my case number and the moms case number and told them that they had my gun and these cases could be closed. They had my gun, had two cases of a missing gun from two houses side by side, with the same S/N and they still couldn't figure out that they had my gun. (shady as all hell). These cops are corrupt or idiots and probably wanted to sell my gun at auction time instead of helping out a taxpayer. (I say this because at the time I went to get my gun, they told me it was the only gun they had in lock-up.) If you wait for a cop to solve your case, IMO you will be disappointed.

:laugh6:

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    A friend had a couple of firearms stolen during a break in , several years later he got the phone call that both where available for pick up . Whomever stole them took good care of them cause they looked exactly like the day they were stolen . He never checked in one time throughout the 2-3 years they were gone.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Your story is confusing. How did you know exactly how the theft occurred, if you discovered the theft a good deal later? How did you know it was fired 3 times. What 15 year old kid is savvy enough to know what a 44 special is (which indicates pretty good knowledge of at such a young age) but only fires it 3 pidley times? And what benefit do police have in keeping your firearm, if there's no personal benefit?

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Good thins do happen I had a colt 380 stolen in fishers ,18 years later I get a call to see if I still wanted it back ,WELL YES pick it up put new spring kit in it still shoots good

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That gives me hope, but I've already mentally divorced myself from the idea of seeing them again. I guess I just assumed that stolen firearms get their serial numbers removed. Not sure where that idea came from but I appreciate the post.

Well, at first glance it seems reasonable to assume that the serial number would be altered to hide the theft. However lots of gun owners don't keep track of their serial numbers. Gun stores don't have access to NCIC. Combine that with the fact its illegal to obliterate the serial number.

So, if you have a stolen gun with an intact serial number, you get stopped with the gun, there's only a chance the crime will be detected because the S/N may not be in NCIC. You can also sell the gun to anyone else without them knowing its history.

Obliterate the S/N and its absolutely going to be detected when the S/N is scratched off, no one else will want to buy it, etc.

I don't know if they are thinking of it that logically or what, but its just very rare to have one with the S/N obliterated. Now I have ran across a few that were so poorly maintained that rust and crud had rendered it unreadable to the naked eye, but a bit of cleaning and magnification can usually sort that out.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom