Warrick County
    Last edited:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Definitely some interesting changes... and if I'm reading item two correctly, it is saying that ground blinds need to have orange on them now if they are to be occupied before light up and after last light...

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    312 IAC 9-2-15 Hunter Orange & Ground Blinds:
    If the hunter is required to wear hunter orange to hunt a species of wild animal, then a ground
    blind used by that hunter would also have to have hunter orange if used from a half-hour before
    sunrise to a half-hour after sunset during the deer special youth season, firearms season,
    muzzleloader season, new primitive muzzleloading season, and special antlerless only season.

Re-read the part in red, I think your reading reading it wrong.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I think the primative ML season is a neat idea.

I really dont care about the early Bow only season starting Sept 15th. Its to warm and green out there for my taste. However, im sure the guys who dont bowhunt will let the butthurt flow over that one. :popcorn:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    [DNR] NRC gives final OK to CheckIN Game system

INDIANAPOLIS–The Indiana Natural Resources Commission today gave final approval to an electronic reporting system for hunters to check harvested white-tailed deer and wild turkey, a program that has operated on a trial basis since April.

Dubbed CheckIN Game (checkINgame.dnr.in.gov), the online system was used by approximately 2,000 hunters during the spring turkey season, and more than 11,600 used the online or phone-in options for the deer firearms season that began this past weekend.

Other final actions taken by the NRC during its bimonthly meeting at Fort Harrison State Park included adoption of a rule to allow three antlerless deer to be taken under the deer license bundle; a one-day extension of the fall archery season for wild turkey; and changes to commercial fishing activities, including the fishing guide license and roe harvester and roe dealer licenses.

The NRC also gave preliminary adoption to rule changes that if granted final adoption will modify some hunting season dates for deer, as well as for pheasant, quail and rabbit.

The NRC Division of Hearings will establish a public comment period for the rule changes that received preliminary adoption and conduct at least one public hearing before the proposals are brought back to the NRC for consideration of final adoption.

The proposed changes would:

–Move the starting date of deer archery season to Sept. 15 and make it illegal to use a crossbow from Sept. 15-30. Archery season would continue through the first Sunday in January of the following year, and crossbows would be legal from Oct. 1 through the end of the archery season.

–Add a primitive muzzleloader season starting the first Monday in January and continuing for six additional days. The bag limit would be combined with the regular muzzleloader season (one deer of either sex).

–Set the statewide pheasant season from Nov. 1 through Dec. 15;

–Set the quail season from Nov. 1 through Dec. 15 in the north zone and Nov. 1 through Jan. 10 in the south zone. Also, Interstate 74 would become the new dividing line between north/south zones.

–Modify rabbit season to a single statewide season from Nov. 1 through Feb. 28. The current season dates are different for public and private ground.

–Change size and bag limits for black bass and walleye at certain locations; add hunter orange clothing requirements for ground blinds; and remove the peregrine falcon from the state endangered species list.

–Amend various fish and wildlife licenses and permits covering turtle possession, field trials, scientific purposes, nuisance wild animal control, falconry, shooting preserves, wild animal possession and migratory bird depredation.

–Establish rules for water resource management in the Great Lakes Basin under the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River Basin Water Resources Compact;

–Establish rules to assist with implementing state law governing coal seam protection, coal bed methane wells, and carbon dioxide transmission pipelines.

In other actions, the NRC set four free sport fishing days for 2013 (April 20, May 18, June 1, and June 2), turned down a citizen petition to allow primitive camping in non-designated areas around Monroe Lake, approved a new state nature preserve at Ouabache State Park, added to the Big Walnut Creek Nature Preserve in Putnam County, and corrected a clerical error in the dedication documents for Allee Woods Nature Preserve in Parke County.

Contact Information:
    Name: Phil Bloom
    Phone: (317) 232-4003
    Email: dnrnews@dnr.in.gov

IN.GOV - Date/Time Viewview=EventDetails&eventidn=60373&information_id=121821

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    In other states I have lived in the primative muzzleloader season was after archery and before modern rifle. The idea was to allow use of a primative weapon on deer that hadn't been shot at in a year.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    If the hunter is required to wear hunter orange to hunt a species of wild animal, then a ground
    blind used by that hunter would also have to have hunter orange if used from a half-hour before
    sunrise to a half-hour after sunset during the deer special youth season, firearms season,
    muzzleloader season, new primitive muzzleloading season, and special antlerless only season.

Re-read the part in red, I think your reading reading it wrong.

I guess my reading comprehension is bad today, but I am still reading it as the blind needs to have orange if you are hunting between first and last light if during youth or firearm season....

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    They missed one...

(2) A youth hunter who takes an antlered deer under this subsection may not take another antlered deer
    during the:
    (A) archery seasons established in subsection (c);
    (B) firearm season established in subsection (e); or​
    (C) muzzleloader season established in subsection (f).

They missed subsection (i) the primitive muzzleloader season.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    And crossbows no longer allowed for urban zone. Mixed feelings, only due to bias. Oh well. Probably for the best.

Not true.

Being a crossbower I contacted DNR personally and they told me that crossbows are still allowed in the UDZ September 15 - 30 and anyone with a handicapped permit can hunt the new statewide September 15 - 30 time frame.

This didn't kick us out of anything...

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I guess my reading comprehension is bad today, but I am still reading it as the blind needs to have orange if you are hunting between first and last light if during youth or firearm season....

Correct blinds need to have hunter orange on them. I think I've read somewhere that 144sq inches of orange must be visible and some of it must be available from all sides. 12" squares on the 4 sides would do nicely. Im not 100% about the amount, but I am 100% sure the blind does have to have orange on it.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    sunrise to a half-hour after sunset
    during the deer special youth season, firearms season,

Who comes up with the wording of these rules?! Why is the wording dealing with sunrise and sunset even needed? I don't get it. Seems like it would be more simple this way:

If the hunter is required to wear hunter orange to hunt a species of wild animal, then a ground blind used by that hunter must also have hunter orange. The deer special youth season, firearms season,
    muzzleloader season, new primitive muzzleloading season, and special antlerless only season all require hunter orange on ground blinds. :dunno:

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Sounds like you can add the orange when you get to your blind in the morning rather than be a beacon for thieves when your not there?

I dont see what the DNR is really trying to accomplish with this one, orange was already a requirement for this season.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, your blind only needs orange when you are in it. The half hour before sunrise and the half hour after sunset coincide with legal shooting light. If you are in the blind during shooting hours, it must have orange visible. If you are not in it, you do not need orange on it.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Well they did make my savage 20 guage under 357 legal for deer season.

Removes the prohibition on the use of over-and-under combination rifle-shotguns. This
    prohibition is no longer needed since certain rifle cartridges and shotguns can be used.

Top Bottom