• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverado

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I grew up in Henry county and used to go shooting at Wilbur Wright all the time. This was back when the 100 yard range was open, and adults didn't need a babysitter to watch over them while they shoot.

Ah, the good old days. :)

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I went to Wilbur Wright for the first time yesterday. There was no general asshattery going on. The folks were good natured and disciplined and Mike (rangeguy) was cool the whole time.
    I would expect the range master to jump in if there were safety issues. This place has the best of both worlds, basic safety in the hands of the shooters, or range master discpline if not.
    It's great to shoot and post targets on a schedule that makes sense for you and a few others than to be slaved to the volley clock. Nobody was fingering their loaded guns while folks were down range.

Improvements desired....
    1) I wish there was a 100 yd range open, athough 50 scratched my itch for the day.
    2) It'd be nice to have shorter than 25 yds for the pistol range via movable target stands. I spoke to Mike about it. He said if the group want's to move down range as a unit he has facilitated that before.
    3) I can't complain for the price....but the OSB targets were pretty rough. I was taping targets or trying to get shoot-&-see stickers to stay up with limited success. Next time I'll bring a stapler.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I shoot at FCVCC, but having an alternative range would be nice for when FCVCC is hosting an event or doing some construction or something.

I have to admit that I am not a big fan of "open to the public" ranges though, but if Mike (rangeguy) is going to be out there keeping things under control I'd probably come check Wilbur Wright's shooting range out.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I just took my friend Sean, there wed., Aug. 31, and Mike, (range guy) is GREAT !!!!! Very informative, and helped a lot !!!!! Thank You, Mike, for
    making my friends first time out, a good time .....

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I went to Wilbur Wright for the first time yesterday. There was no general asshattery going on. The folks were good natured and disciplined and Mike (rangeguy) was cool the whole time.
    I would expect the range master to jump in if there were safety issues. This place has the best of both worlds, basic safety in the hands of the shooters, or range master discpline if not.
    It's great to shoot and post targets on a schedule that makes sense for you and a few others than to be slaved to the volley clock. Nobody was fingering their loaded guns while folks were down range.

Improvements desired....
    1) I wish there was a 100 yd range open, athough 50 scratched my itch for the day.
    2) It'd be nice to have shorter than 25 yds for the pistol range via movable target stands. I spoke to Mike about it. He said if the group want's to move down range as a unit he has facilitated that before.
    3) I can't complain for the price....but the OSB targets were pretty rough. I was taping targets or trying to get shoot-&-see stickers to stay up with limited success. Next time I'll bring a stapler.

So you can only shoot at 25 yds there, unless everyone agrees?

I was thinking about checking WW out tomorrow.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle

If I'm not mistaken, the pistol range at Wilbur Wright is 50 feet, not 75 feet. A long time ago, they used to have the range lengths listed on a sign on each range.

Jolfe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Muncie
    Handgun is 25 and rifle 50, if I'm not wrong. Went there two weeks ago for my first and only time and only the the handgun range. Tried a Glock 19 and a Kel Tec P3AT. Was happy whenever I hit the general area of the target with the Kel Tec :):. I loved the place though, and am planning to be back very soon. And you can't beat their price.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Was out there today, and shot a little bit.

I forgot to measure out how far the pistol range was, and my range estimation abilities are pretty terrible.

Was that 50ft or 25yds?

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Was out there today, and shot a little bit.

I forgot to measure out how far the pistol range was, and my range estimation abilities are pretty terrible.

Was that 50ft or 25yds?

Well, back in the 80's and 90's, there used to be signs up on each range. The pistol range was marked 50'. Then you had the 50 yard range to the right of the pistol range and the 100 yard range was to the left of the pistol range. I haven't actually measured the pistol range and I don't believe it has ever been lengthened. I used to qualify at 15 yards and 25 yards with a 1911 when I was in the Marine Corps. If the pistol range at Wilbur Wright is 25 yards, then it is shorter than the 25 yard range at Camp Lejeune.

I have shot once at the FOP range just west of New Castle. The 25 yard line there seems longer than the pistol range at Wilbur Wright as well.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

there is "no mid range" shooting, according to "the rules"...
    But if you are there by yourself, or the people that come in your "group"
    the range guy, is cool with it, you all stand at the same place, and shoot mid range ....

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    See ya all there about 10-11 on Monday (Labor Day) if you can, I will be the dude with the Chinese and Romanian AK/AK-74 Glock on my hip, daughter and fiancé with SAR-3 & XDM. Rumor has it that a real range celebrity (INDYKID) may make a rare appearance and join us.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    paced it off at 13 from the front of the tables to the target, which comes to about 23yds.

Last edited:

BJMANIS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Muncie
    FCVCC

I shoot at FCVCC, but having an alternative range would be nice for when FCVCC is hosting an event or doing some construction or something.

I have to admit that I am not a big fan of "open to the public" ranges though, but if Mike (rangeguy) is going to be out there keeping things under control I'd probably come check Wilbur Wright's shooting range out.

I am also a member of FCVCC, but have only been back once since construction started. It amazed me that the wall between the 50 and 100 collapsed.

The 25 yard target pad makes you shoot across lanes, and have they even started to enlarge the two bay pistol range?

Seemed to be a terrible waste of money.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    See ya all there about 10-11 on Monday (Labor Day) if you can, I will be the dude with the Chinese and Romanian AK/AK-74 Glock on my hip, daughter and fiancé with SAR-3 & XDM. Rumor has it that a real range celebrity (INDYKID) may make a rare appearance and join us.

Yep, I intend to be there. Have no idea what I am bringing to play with, but rumor has it one of what I am bringing is marked 84S-1. Might say in the theme of .223 and bring a Robinson M96 that I haven't had out in a while, along with my M-4gery.

Of course, an SAR-2 wouldn't be out of place.

Haven't had the Norinco 86S out in a while, at least I don't remember if I did... :D

Something in .22LR sounds about right too, as in GSG-5 type. Or the real deal in 9mm...:rockwoot:

Oh, and I intend to take a photo of the sign in front that says hunting and fishing license fees pay for the site.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Decisions, decisions, I saw on TV a well stocked underground bunker full of weapons and ammo and thought it was yours but it wasn't, some Col. Ghadafi guy in Lybia was trying to match your collection.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    i'm going to be there monday as well but i plan on getting there for the opening bell. i'm finally gonna run my first rounds through my 91/30. then some slug work, and some play time with the mini 30 and 10/22.

Jolfe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Muncie
    Was there today. It was packed, even though the temperature was really, really hot! It felt like the desert. The long gun range was full and there were many people shooting with rifles in the handgun area (25 yards, according to the official range rules). It was a little bit crowded for my taste, and extremely hot, but It was great to see so many people enjoying shooting responsably and courteosly. :ar15:

Top Bottom