• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    So the Wife's LTCH came into day. She has warmed up to the idea of carrying. She is a very dainty woman with small hands and small frame. She doesn't want something that has the kick of my G23 but understands that she needs some stopping power. I was thinking about a 9mm. Maybe the new SW shield? Problem is that she wears scrubs at work most of the time. So not sure how to encourage her to carry. Some of the other girls at her work carry in their purse or car. I would like her to carry on her person all the time.
    So does anyone have any good suggestions for her to start looking at. I don't want to make her choice for her, but want to help her make the best choice. she has to be comfortable with it if she is going to carry it.
    BTW it only took 3 days to get her LTCH back!:rockwoot:

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    A little .380 like the Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT are very easy to carry and conceal, so I wouldn't rule out something smaller than 9mm if something in a 9mm size simply isn't going to be feasible for her to carry.

My sister is in the market for a smaller pistol to carry and we were recently surprised by the petite size of the 9mm Diamondback DB9 at the Indy Trading Post. She and I discussed this as a possibility, and we don't know exactly what she'll do yet.

It's always a trade off. Reduced size and weight is easier to carry, but increases the felt recoil for the caliber. If she's recoil shy, she'll need a heavier gun or a smaller caliber. With that in mind though, regular training and practice can greatly reduced the perceived recoil as she becomes used to it.

Also, if her employer catches her carrying at work, she'll probably get fired, as seems to be the policy with most employers.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Has she been out to the LGS's to try some out? I'd recommend she does.

I usually carry a S&W Bodyguard 38. A 38 special seems, to me, to be a pretty mild round regarding recoil. Plus, with a revolver, it's point and shoot. No slides to rack--which some women find difficult...no safeties to worry about, etc.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    She could use a belly band-type holster or Smart Carry which would be even better if she is in scrubs with patient care where she may bump into a patient and printing is not the only issue. I am curious, does she work in a doctor's office or a hospital? If it is not against the regulations that would really be interesting as I know quite a few ladies who work in hospitals that are interested in carrying.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    FYI -- The Kahr CM9 / PM9 is a great format that can carry 7+1 9mm and is an easier gun to shoot than any .380 I have seen for a comparable size.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Best bet is to get her to a range that rents guns, or a friend that has a variety to choose from, and let her get a feel for what is comfortable to her. Let her shoot a few and be sure that the operation/recoil of the gun she is interested in will not keep her from practicing with it.

As far as carry in scrubs, the belly band is a good idea, maybe the flashbang holster could be an option, or even a good ankle holster, considering scrubs tend to be somewhat loose.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    The Smith Bodyguard 380? Great for ankle holster/pocket/purse carrying. It has a thumb safety. But my wife likes bcuz the size as it is not 'bulky'.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I have to throw in my vote for a small revolver; .357 or .38. My fiancee, (for instance,) has problems loading magazines and racking slides. She just doesn't have the strength to do it comfortably and reliably.

But we borrowed my uncles .357 snubbie and she fell in love with it, so we picked up one for her too. She finds it very easy to load, unload, check....basically, she can't manipulate an automatic very well. But a revolver, on the other hand, she is perfectly comfortable with.

Plus, recoil is pretty light with .38's. My .02.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I would feel more comfortable with the .357 because a .380 does not seem like it would do any good on a 'heavy' assailant with a coat on...

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Although I am neither small nor dainty :rolleyes:, I carry a S&W 380 Bodyguard. I initially hated it, but after cleaning it thoroughly and sending a few hundred rounds down range, I'm very comfortable with it. Having said that, I'm very interested in the Ruger SR9c....read lots of good reviews on it.

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    Let her handle and actually fire anything you are thinking about buying. Whatever you do, do not just pick something out for her. I know from experience ;)

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    if shes wearing scrubs at work, make sure she can carry while at work. unless i read wrong. but the ruger lc9s' are pretty decent.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I don't think her patients will mind or even notice if they bump up and feel her weapon or if they see printing. She works as a Vet tech. Other's carry at the clinic but as I said they carry in their purses or leave them in their cars. I am just looking for some different possibilities to present her. And yes we will be looking for some trigger time before we actually purchase anything.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Suggest a kahr cp9 or cw9 for her to look into, smaller and thinner than most pistols. Or beretta .380 wouldn't be bad either...

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I don't think her patients will mind or even notice if they bump up and feel her weapon or if they see printing. She works as a Vet tech. Other's carry at the clinic but as I said they carry in their purses or leave them in their cars. I am just looking for some different possibilities to present her. And yes we will be looking for some trigger time before we actually purchase anything.

There are quite a few threads here on INGO about this very same subject. I would recommend you do a Search and read some of those posts as well.

I tend to side with those who are of the school where:

"Let her go to the LGS and handle many guns to see what she's comfortable with, then see if there is someone who will let her try out what she's interested in."

My wife went through two different guns before she found one she liked. Cost me a little more, but "momma's happy" so the rest of the house is happy too.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Only two? My wife started with a PK380, but later decided it was too bulky for EDC in all situations. She then picked up a PF-9, and after a year, thought it was a bit too big to carry in certain situations. Her next step was to trade off the PK380 for a S&W Bodyguard .380. All that was fine and good until I picked up a 442 revolver, and then she had to have a 38 snubbie, so she now has an LCR too. Along the way she has also acquired a PT92, and a 44 Mag, though she rarely carries them on a regular basis.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Kahr PM9, great little gun. Also might look at the new Beretta Nano but I haven't actually seen one of those yet.

Top Bottom