Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If no training should be required because it is a right. (I agree completely with that idea) Then take the responsibility that goes with every right that we enjoy and have and figure out how to be responsible. Videos are short courses and do not go far enough in any field. It is a starting point. Why should it be easy to be a safer gun handler? To be a better shooter?

Most gun owners watch a video or get an impromptu lesson from an uncle and think they are ready to go. That is where they stop. I think I could learn how to remove an appendix via video. I think I could do it successfully the first time. Any volunteers? Is a new gun owner who is video qualified any less dangerous?

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    So do we want mandatory training or not? We can't say out of one side of our mouth the right to bear arms shouldn't be infringed apon. When a portion of the people getting licences don't even know anything about a gun other than what they've seen in the movies. And that's OK because it's their right. Then turn around and chastise someone for using childhood experiences and watching videos for safety training,

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Training is very helpful. I think everyone should get some.

Should traiing be REQUIRED to get a license? Absolutely not. It's a right to keep and bear arms.

I think licenses are an infringement too but that's beside the point.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    So do we want mandatory training or not? We can't say out of one side of our mouth the right to bear arms shouldn't be infringed apon. When a portion of the people getting licences don't even know anything about a gun other than what they've seen in the movies. And that's OK because it's their right. Then turn around and chastise someone for using childhood experiences and watching videos for safety training,

I don't want mandatory training. But I want everyone to seek it out. The point I was trying to make was that video is not enough training. If I came across as chastising I over did it and that was not my intention. I apologize to one an all for being too overbearing.

I do training but that does not mean I am a fan of it being required. But I think it should be done. Many folks don't know what they don't know and a video is not enough to get you there, and it certainly is not the same as a quality instructor.

I also think it is not talking out of both sides of the mouth.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    Professional training is great. I'm sure there are a lot of things that can be learned there that you can't pick up from a video. In my mind it is unnecessary. As long as my gun never fires for any other reason than I intended for it to do so, I can carry and handle it in a way that is universally deemed safe, and accurately hit things I intend to shoot, I'm good. I'm not trying to win competitions here. I'm more prepared for a bad situation than the majority of the other people out there. That's all I'm looking for. If I die in a gun fight because I've not had enough training, I'm fine with that. I'm married. I've been looking for death for a long time now. :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom